What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" September 14th - September 20th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
0C7D19B1-B422-4211-A02C-467994C9C110.jpeg

1960 Fatboy Adjustable F-4 date code // PolSilver SI // Omega EVO Titano // Ariana & Evans Asian Plum // Lucky Tiger AS

Tuesday Evening

‘62 Tech
Rapira PL (7)
Omega Boar
Tabac Stick
Skin Bracer

Ah spectacular
Shave tonight.
BBS as usual,
No discomfort.
I plan on just using this razor by itself for a month. I want to gauge how my different blades perform in it. Maybe using only one soap also for a month is a good idea too. ... I’ve tossed the blade... it’s gotten fairly dull. I don’t get more than 7 or 8 shaves from these blades. That’s okay with me. Next blade I’ll use will be a fresh Astra SP. .... ah fabulous!!
5E996106-B765-4D62-9059-5B50603E7428.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
6E9C9299-58B2-40BF-966D-7033748F7918.jpeg

1) England: Brush Progress Vulfix mixed Badger and Boar.
2) USA: Soap Captain’s Choice Venture Shaving Soap sample.
3) England: Razor Gillette Fat Handle Tech.
4) Russia: Blade Perma-Sharp.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Poland: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Skin and Stubble Balm.
7) USA: Cologne Jovan Musk Cologne.
8) USA: Lather Bowl Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl.

Wed 16 SOTD using a new found blade...
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Italian Orange
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Game Changer.84 SB
Blade Starke Premium (German) 1st Use
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
The soap is truly remarkable. 20sec direct load and face lathering with the excellent brush. Nice nice scent, good creamy lather with excellent slickeness too...
Shave with razor paired with this new found blade was actually very nice. Initial stroke was smooth...can feel it is sharpish...
generally smooth and comfortable. The best test of a good blade is during atg, at 2 areas...just under the jawline and upper lips. Shave at both area was crisp and smooth. After a 3+1 pass...result was good. Between BBS to DFS. Icy water rinse followed by Thayers then Hyaluronic and AV Musk
Somehow there's 2 weepers...dang! Still a very good shave. Rating 9/10
20200916_003411.jpg

20200916_075527.jpg

Wednesday SOTD - Another BBS with a few minuscule weepers! Overall outcome remains awesome though!

Pre Shave - Warm water splash on face
Brush - Pearl imitation ivory handle synthetic shaving brush
Shaving Soap - Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Bowl - Supply marble lathering bowl
Razor - Pearl TTO
Blade - Parker Premium Platinum on 4th use
Post Shave - Running cold water splash (no alum today)
Aftershave - Axe ultra smooth aftershave balm

I shaved post my shower today and hence did not feel like applying a pre shave. I like the lathering properties of the TOBS Sandalwood more than it’s fragrance. On the fragrance of a Sandalwood Shaving cream I prefer that of Truefitt & Hill over this one. Did bowl lathering today as the brush gives scritches on face lathering. The brush produced voluminous lather sufficient for a 3 pass shave.

The blade was good even on the 4th use today, however will discard it post today’s shave. The first 2 passes worked like dream. The third pass has been troubling me off late as I end up pressing the razor hard at times in the quest of getting a BBS. The results remain the same - at the end of 3 passes I do end up getting a BBS but with 2-3 very minuscule weepers near chin area and neckline. Have been trying hard to perfect this but looks like the strive will continue.

Did not feel like using alum today as there was no blood (only redness) from the weepers! Applied the aftershave directly and it softened the skin whilst making it supple. The fragrance of freshly coming out of a barbershop 💈 smells really enchanting.

Next shave will be on Friday! Thank you 🙏🏽

7117DFF2-1540-4A4D-98F2-2E835EF82EF5.jpeg
7B2C2D85-F5B2-4A69-A522-4F2A186085B9.jpeg
F2DE7E56-B449-42AD-8D42-2633B7AB855A.jpeg

sotd1509.jpg

Premiers for:

Parker Variant
Gillete Nacet
Muhle Silvetrip Fibre travel
La Toja Stick
T+H Sandalwood balm
WTG/XTG/ Partial ATG

All the above brand new so let's see what the game is.

First sweep on 3 in variant, ohhh this shaves nice and has marvellous audio feedback. Got you mister Parker, let's move to 5: OH MY.. Retreat, retrear you idiot! (yeap a wonderfull mix of wheepers and cuts :blushing: ).
Back to 2 or finishing, job done. Did some sweeps in setting 1, surprised to see it shaves effortlessly even in this setting (in comparison ROCKWELL C for me is useless in plates 1 and 2). I adore the ''rose gold'' color shade of this one, not too gold-not too rose.Ah and did I mention the audio feedback? Mellow midrange, like a class A tube amp.
I am eager to test more blades for a better assessment.

Nacet's seem to be on the ''wild' side for me but I will use them in EJ316 for a safer conclusion.

Much have being written for La Toja, righteously. Performs way above its price point. I will pick up some more to squash them into a bowl for loading with brush.

The brush is the known quality of Muhle. Ok the lightness of the handle does not help but the knot is very good, with balanced splay, good water retention and uber soft. Builds lather in dt. It is the exception that you need a big synth to produce good quality lather.

T+H Sandalwood balm. On the expensive side but it seems well worth the money (at least in EU). Very calming and soothing, not greasy and one of a kind complexity for sandalwood (at least for the ones that you don't have to be a millionare to purchase). Starts with accidity (lemon, lime ? ), musk kicks in and all that on a nicely sweet & woody ''sandalwood'' scent. Ok it is not sandalwood per se (how could it) but never the less very enjoyable. Way better than TOBS and I dare say GFT's.

proxy.php

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: P&C LE 2020 Matilda Rhodium 2-band Silvertip
Cream: Speick Active
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Aqua Velva Musk Splash
Scent: APR Ozymandias EdP

A beautiful shave. The Sticky may be a mild razor, but it is very efficient, and mowed down my 4 day growth effortlessly.

First run with a Feather today. How I didn't use these years ago, I don't know. They certainly live up to the reputation, and after cleaning a few tiny red dots I was BBS.

Razor: Maggard MR5
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Crabtree and Evelyn Pure Badger
Soap: CBL Smoked Cedar Bay Rum (Seaforth milk glass mug)
Splash: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
Balm: EMJ Signature Mint

full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom