What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" September 14th - September 20th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Sat, Sept 19th,2020

Razor: Everready 1924(shovel head) with a ER Streamline strop handle- MFG 1924-33, mid range, a nice razor IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) Excellent blade in all charteristic's that make a great blade. Very sharp, longevity, predictable and smoothes out nicely.
Soap: Tabac- mild clean flower scent with excellent lather qualities. Tripled milled that lasts a long long time.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm Sagrada Familia- Excellent lather maker with cloud like soft tips, a joy to paint lather.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with Cerave hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber splash with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my ER 1924 shovel head.

SE SOTD, Sat, Sept 19 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

IMG_20200919_110353.jpg

IMG_20200919_113351.jpg

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: Yaqi White Handle Synthetic Shaving Brush
Pre-Shave: Neutrogena Face Scrub
Lather: Stirling Baker Street
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Alum Block
cold water splash
TN Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent

23DB8844-D2E0-423C-ABAC-EB97039B43BE.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 19, 2020

What a glorious, sunny morning for my first shave with the Riga Razor. The factory edge was quite sharp, on the continuum, I’d say hard sharp vs soft sharp. That was fine for this first shave which seemed to literally melt the whiskers off my mug. There was one minor weep as I got started, but once I concentrated on just sweeping the lather very gently off the surface of my mug, I noticed that my whiskers went with the lather.

This razor’s definitely going to spend some time on the ILR and jasper stones this afternoon. I suspect, given the hardness of the tungsten steel the Riga blade is made from, that I’ll need to spend a fair amount of time adjusting the edge to my liking. I’ve been using a USB microscope, and after carefully examining the edges of the straights I've adjusted and enjoy shaving with, I know what I'm looking for.

Here’s an image of the edge of my Japanese Nichiri Tokusen after bevel set and almost two hours of finishing on the ILR and then burnishing on the jasper. I love the way it shaves. That’s my target edge for the Riga. I’ve decided not to tape the spine on the Riga.

8EED4C5B-F5E5-4EC2-A51E-27D50E16A005.jpeg

The one scent I do like is lime, and Castle Forbes is an ok cream, but just isn’t in the same slickness class as Nancy Boy, Lush Prince, or MWF. I’ll return to the two lathers and one cream I know and trust for tomorrow’s shave. I’ll be shaving with this razor until I feel comfortable with its handling characteristics. I'm hoping after I finish honing the edge the way I like it, that the shave will be smoother tomorrow. Gives me something to do while sitting through another of my dear SWMBO’s RomComs this evening. I feel refreshed, cool, and cleanly velveteen!

RAZOR: Riga Razor 7/8 (Mug), Blackland Vector (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Argan Oil
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lime
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with PAA Frost Byte AS & Cologne.

9/19/20
Green Mountain Soap Co. Lime Vetiver
Semogue 610
FaTip Grande
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Osma Alum Block
Clubman Citrus Musk
George F. Trumper Lime Skin Food
Hove Limes des Buras
SOTD9-18-20.jpg

9/20/20
Art of Shaving Lavender Shave Soap
Art of Shaving in Fine Badger
11/16 Red Imp #132 by Case USA
Tony Miller 3" Steerhide Strop
Osma Alum Block
Murray & Lanman Florida Water
Nivea Sensitive Cool Balm
Davidoff Cool Water
SOTD9-19-20.jpg

For King Gillette Weekend and SEptember a pair of great razors from the 1950s. This was a top notch shave with excellent hardware and software. Ten out of ten!

Razor: Gillette 1958 D3 TV Special Super Speed
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Razor2: Gem Push-Button
Blade2: Personna PFTE Stainless
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

PSX_20200918_082929.jpg

09/19/20 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Wood Box Soap Handcrafted Goat Milk Soap Marine Park Grapefruit and Patchouli
Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Shampoo & Conditioner Puck
Phoenix Shaving The Original Chill Mill - Menthol Grinder
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Ciderhouse 5 A Festive Fall Shave Soap
RazoRock Rosso Corsa F-400 XXL 34MM Noir Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Whitmor Water Spray Bottle
RazoRock Lupo Black Anodized 6066 Aluminum DE Safety Razor
Bolzano Superinox Blade - 1st Shave
Laboratoires Osma Pure Potassium Alum Block
Thayers Alcohol Free Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Ciderhouse 5 Seasonal Aftershave/Cologne Matured w/ Toasted American Oak Cubes
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Mentholated Mysterium Serum Advanced Fragrance & Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm
Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength

B IMG_7739.jpg

SOTD-FS-B_2020-09-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Fine L'Orange Noir
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
ASL: Fine Snake Bite

Another super shave! :cornut:

Today I received my first bottle of Snake Bite. I just love the label. I took Mr Fine's advice and "applied sparingly." Maybe too sparingly because (burns like the devil) it didn't burn at all. "Freezes like the Rockies"... it was certainly very cool and stayed that way for a good ten minutes (an unaccustomed, but pleasant feeling).
"... and cures all that ails you"... should I rub it on my lottery ticket? :letterk1:

Thankfully the menthol scent disappeared along with the cool sensation, so all I can smell now is L'Orange Noir very faintly from the shaving soap.
Next shave I'll use double the "sparing" amount I used today and see what happens. Hopefully :bayrum2: and :velva2:.

Saturday, 9/19:

View attachment 1157091

Razor - Wolfman WR2 1.15
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Oku Serrano 26mm HD 2-band
Cream - WCS Cologne
A/S - OneBlade balm

This one goes to eleven. Oh boy was this one hell of a shave, so yes, I'm gonna rant! I received the Wolfman I ordered several weeks ago, in basically the same configuration as this except with a hollow handle. I'll use this one through the weekend and then compare it to the hollow and see which one I like handling better. I forgot how good this razor really is. I just still don't understand how something can be this efficient, but be as comfortable as it is during the shave and leave my face feeling so comfortable afterward. My only guess is, maybe the exposure is actually neutral or even just slightly negative, and the large gaps let enough skin in to get a close shave from the blade. I have no idea, but the thing is a goddamn miracle.

This brush is incredible. The closest thing I can compare it to is a Shavemac 2-band silvertip bulb, in that it has a ton of backbone, but those white tips are so long and soft that they just immediately give when you want to splay, so you have this really great backbone but this soft cloudlike feel. It's softer than a Shavemac though. There is only the barest hint of scrub, only enough for your nerves to tell you that there's something touching your face. It's so incredibly gentle; this is a perfect knot, literally perfect. Splays beautifully, paints superbly, the handle is uber comfortable, the resin looks great; I can't say enough about it. It generated a terrific lather from the cream, which is a phenomenal performer. Excellent density, tons of primary and residual slickness, and the dark green scent is addictive. Gotta get the splash. My face is so comfortable, and is glass-smooth after this. Shave of the week for sure.
My Favorite Razor without a doubt, I have the same 1.15 SB with the WRH2 hollow handle. Try it with a PolSilver or GSB blade and it will go from 11 to 12. When I have a perfect shave with the 1.15, i stop for a moment after my 2nd pass, look at it and say “Wow, What a Razor!”... makes me ponder why I shave with anything else. Happy Shaves :)

Saturday

Maggard V3
Nacet (4)
Omega Boar
Stirling (Old puck)
Lavender Sage
Pinaud Clubman AS

Ah thought I’d use this razor as it’s been awhile. It is rather aggressive but with this blade gave a mind blowing shave. Face is BBS again. Spectacular! I could hear the crackling sound as it mowed through the beard. Fantastic! The soap is years old. Stirling doesn’t make this scent any longer. But it still performs well. Very rich lather. Fabulous ! Well I’ll use this razor for a couple more shaves then back to the no nonsense Techs.
Incredible! ......yes I love using funny adjectives in my posts.... and photos at strange angles.
E39A109A-B020-4ED6-9AE7-74D6FE88109B.jpeg

5DA7314A-2E26-4C98-A200-EE38BEBACDBC.jpeg

Pre: Ivory in the shower
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Razor: Parker Semi-slant
Blade: Astra SP (#4)
Soap: Beaver Woodwright (now Black Ship Grooming) Thomas Tew

Nice and easy shave tonight. Because I'm moving to a new razor tomorrow night I went back to two N-S passes tonight so I have a reference to compare (I plan to use N-S passes to start as I try different razors).

First pass was a bit too watery, easily corrected by going back to the pick before the second. True to form, the Mighty Midget lost 4-5 hairs tonight, as it does every shave. Lucky Tiger was a good match for the soap and a nice way to end the shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom