What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" October 22nd - October 28th, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTD : 28th October 2018.

29.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Hot shower:/ L'OREAL~ Hydra Sensitive Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Transparent Soap./ Bloom Water/ Wilco Shaving Oil.

Brush: Wilkinson Sword ~ Pure Bristle.

Face Lather.

Soap : Wilkinson Sword Soap Bowl.+6 drops of glycerin.

Blade:Rapira ~ Swedish Supersteel .(2)

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic.

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Cold Water Face Rinse.//Homemade Lavender + Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Denim Original ASL.

BullDog ~ Original A/S Balm.

Greetings,

A very enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups 'W.S. product themed' DFS with no errors to report.

All of the wilkinson sword products worked well together.The soap bowl, i find performs much better once bloomed for a few minutes with hot water, and i've added the glycerin drops it creates a slicker protective lather, adding to that, i rub the puck directly in to my stubble rather than load it into the brush when i face lather, which i find builds a much better lather with the brush. I also have a Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick 'blue one' of which i've yet to try, i'll have to add it to my shave set ups soon to compare it with the bowl...If i only had a the W.S. Classic razor, it could easily become my daily razor..A superb non-aggressive razor , paired up with the right blade choice give a DFS.:)

My face is feeling silky smooth & smelling devine.;)

Finishing the shave off with a generous squirt of Bulldog ~ a/s balm.

I'm now ready for the what the day has to offer me.

Enjoy your sunday, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

2018-10-28

Ikea bowl ¤ Semogue 2011 LE, Finest badger, size 2 ¤ 6/8" Original Schultze
Nanny's Lemon/Basil/Mandarin ¤ Myrsol Plastic Shave ¤ Pen's Esprit Du Roi EDT

proxy.php

Sunday October 28, 2018
Razor: Rockwell 6s Plate 5
Blade: Gillette Rubie (8)
Brush: Paladin 26 mm Lime Lotus
Soap: CBL Soap Tabac/Leather
Aftershave 1: Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Avon Leather
IMG_20181027_203921344.jpg

I had a 8 days beard on so I tried something a little different today - 28.10.2018

Taylor of Old Bond Street Eton College Shaving Cream - damn fine elegant smell
AP Shave Silksmoke in 28mm knot - so far it has been my go to brush for recent use
Rockwell 6S on #3 with super max super platinum blade
Saponificio Varesino Felce AS

3 passes, first 2 WTG and the 3rd XTG. Not resulting in a BBS, but it was still a honest and very pleasant result.

Southern Witchcrafts | Autumn Ash
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Copper Matrix | AP Shave Co. SynBad 30mm
Ever-Ready SE | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

Once again, I'm trying out a product from an artisan who's new to me. This would seem to be the right season to break this one out, too. Southern Witchcrafts, hailing from Tucker, Georgia, have some peculiar scent notes for the products in their catalog. It's my understanding their packaging has recently undergone a revamp, and unless I'm mistaken, the soap base has also experienced an upgrade. Honestly, several of the offerings were enticing, but I settled on "Autumn Ash" and "Alchemist" as my introduction to this artisan.

No complaints on the packaging from me. The labels appear to be vinyl and arrived (from Maggard) without blemish or bubble. The soap tubs are your standard all-black PET, and the splashes are plastic as well and resemble those used by Storybook Soapworks. I've not seen these EdP bottles before, but they fit the motif and look cool.

Upon cracking open the tub of Autumn Ash, I was immediately met with a powerful sweet maple syrup note that overwhelmed anything else that may have accompanied it. Needless to say, it needed to air out as is often the case with a new tub. After giving it a few minutes, I revisited it, and as expected, the maple settled down and musky damp earth with a suggestion of mushroom was faintly detected. Despite their sharing very few common notes (smoke and cedar), off the puck, Autumn Ash reminded me of Chiseled Face's "Ghost Town Barber". Upon lathering, this drastically changed, and was actually closer to Barrister and Mann's "Fougère Gothique". Autumn Ash is it's own thing, mind you, but if you like fragrances in the vein of Fougère Gothique, you'll likely enjoy this.

Upon lathering, Autumn Ash opens with a warm syrupy and smoky maple that's immediately mitigated by damp earth. Again, I feel like there's a faint mushroom note, but it may well be my brain filling in for the expected, given the convincing damp earth note. Specifically, the image of damp earth is that of rich, black spongy soil rife with ancient tree litter remains. As the shave progresses, the fragrance continues to descend to a muskier and thicker fragrance that stops just short of becoming murky. I can not pick up the documented ash note in the lather, but the overall fragrance does lift up towards the end with a slightly edgier resin and spice.

The soap in the puck is of medium firmness such that pressing a finger in the middle causes very little crumbling followed by a smooth dent. This vegan base doesn't seem to have any quirks in terms of loading and lather building. A 45-second load in my damp 30mm synthetic knot provided more than adequate yield for a 2+ pass head and face shave. It did require a fair amount of water to optimize which, as always, is an observation and not a detraction. Test lathers the night before proved it can be drowned if you try, but there's plenty of room before you reach that point. In practice, the lather-building is intuitive and results in a hyper-white, voluminous and moderately dense substrate with a bright even sheen. You cannot brush away the lather when it's optimized, thereby making this quite the paintable lather. First-swipe slickness is very good, and residual slickness is such that hasty sweeping passes can safely be pulled-off in the absence of visible lather. Post-shave is on-par with today's medium to upper-grade soaps, but not yet select status. I will note, 18 months ago, this post-shave would have been considered elite.

In terms of fragrance, the splash unfolds in similar fashion to the soap, but the maple is much more forward and longer lasting. I would prefer this be toned down a bit, but that's just my personal aversion to sweet fragrances. Ultimately, after about 30 minutes, the sweet aspect does indeed burn off, relenting to the rich damp earthy heart and base. Unlike the soap, the ash does make a presence that is surprisingly pleasant and well-blended among the ensemble. Just a touch more smoke or birch tar would have stifled this fragrance, but instead a fair bit of artisanal skill is exhibited in taking Autumn Ash to the edge without stepping into the offensive.

The paired splash is water-based and contains witch hazel, aloe gel, vitamin E, Polysorbate 20, and glycerin. It is water-thin and has a pale milky amber color. It distributes easily. It's soothing, and I detected no tackiness or greasiness. I can't say if it's particularly moisturizing or not, because the soap wasn't drying to begin with.

This fragrance is so nice, I'm happy I picked up the EdP. After priming the bottle, I applied a single pump to the solar plexus. The EdP never completely abandons the maple, but the sweetness does abate after about an hour or so. Six hours out, I continue to enjoy the full complement of Autumn Ash's dark but pleasant earthy, resinous accord.

Ultimately, I'm quite pleased with this base's performance. After just one use, I feel like the only aspect that could improve more than incrementally would be the post-shave. That's not to say it lacks, but rather the current upper-tier artisan soaps' post-shaves have recently attained ridiculous heights. As of this writing, I've taken a whiff of my "Alchemist" tub along with extensively reviewing the fragrances offered by Southern Witchcrafts. It would seem this brand will make its mark by way of thoughtful, complex, edgy, and daring fragrances while still offering the crowd-pleasers like lavender, sandalwood, and cedar. I anticipate continued and long-term success from this artisan.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Jeepers, Matt, did you crawl into a cave — with a big stick for fending off snakes — to take the main SOTD pic? Eerily splendid. Also thanks for the thorough review of a product that I probably would have missed.

Patti

Jeepers, Matt, did you crawl into a cave — with a big stick for fending off snakes — to take the main SOTD pic? Eerily splendid. Also thanks for the thorough review of a product that I probably would have missed.

Patti
Thank you, @PJO. I often take a behind-the-scenes pic for use when people pose such questions, but this time I neglected to do so. I live way out in the woods. This is simply an old fallen oak that's rotted out on the inside, effectively providing the appearance of a cave. The outside is still primarily intact, and it's covered with moss and resurrection fern. The white areas you see at 11 and 2 o'clock sectors are actually daylight peering through cracks. It was a bit cool to be concerned about snakes. Although, living in the woods all my life, snake encounters are frequent. Guaranteed to find a copperhead or two when we're taking firewood off the pile. Also, the chicken snakes scale the exterior of our house when the wren chicks hatch from nests made in our eaves. The big ones are too heavy to make it to the nests--they fall off and try over and over--making a "thud" each time when they land on the deck. The smaller snakes sometimes make it and ravage the nests. It breaks my heart, but it's nature. We don't kill snakes around here, venomous or not, because they keep the rodent population in check. When we encounter a snake that's in the path of our dogs, we just "relocate" it to the other side of the creek. At least one of our dogs gets a snake bite at least once per season. We keep solu-medrol around if it's a neck or mouth bite to prevent jeopardy to the airway. Otherwise, the dog recovers within 24 hrs without any further action. As far as venomous snakes, we mostly have copperheads around here and they're relatively timid. But we also have the occasional timber rattler and the aggressive cottonmouth. You just basically have to use common sense when you go outdoors during the warmer months (wear boots and jeans).

Here's a video of the chicken snake in the kitchen window after a failed attempt to get the birds (note, our home is about 6' off the ground via pier and beam construction):

Here's one ignoring an egg in order to take refuge in the wood pile on the porch.

Sunday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Soap: Coate’s Almond Cream
Razor: Gillette Fat Boy
Blade: Wilkinson Light Brigade Chromium Edge (1)
Brush: John’s Brushes Silvertip-22mmx48mm
Aftershave: Bulgari Blu

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Coate’s Almond Cream today. 20 seconds to load the John’s Brushes Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. I loaded a new Wilkinson Light Brigade Chromium in the Gillette Fat Boy. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Bulgari Blu aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Sunday, October 28
proxy.php

Brutalt Bra Barbersåpe~~Rooney Style 3~~Merkur Progress (5)~~Personna 74~~C.O. Bigelow 1585
Have a great day!

SOTD - Sunday 28 October 2018

proxy.php

• Safety Razor: Wolfman Razors - WR1 .67 OC WRH2 polished handle
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: M Keramiek / J&T - Wokkel - 24mm Bulb (Synthetic)
  • Shaving Bowl: M Keramiek - Shaving Society
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Settantesimo Anniversario - Beta 4.1
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Settantesimo Anniversario - Balm

SOTD 2018-10-26

Hot shower
Premium Wilkinson Sword TTO razor
Gillette 365 Stainless blade (2)
26mm Timberwolf Synthetic by Volta 3D Creations
Wilkinson Sword shave stick
Hattric Classic aftershave

proxy.php

10/28/18
Speick Shave Soap
H.L. Thater 4376/3 Silver Tip
5/8 C.V. Heljestrand Mark 3
Tony Miller 3" Steerhide Strop
RazoRock Alum Stick
Speick
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Versace "Pour Homme"
SOTD10-28-18.jpg

Tuckmar
Yaqi Brush
Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe Shaving Soap
Vitos Pre/Post Shave
Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel
Myrsol Plastic Shave

DSC00566.jpg

Razorock DE1
Treet New Steel blade
Razorock Plissoft brush
Proraso Red soap
Lustray Spice after shave
Nivea Men creme

Today’s SOTD.

proxy.php

I enjoyed using the AP Shave Co 28mm Synthetic Flat Top for the first time today.

The handle colour is by far the best of the AP Shave Co brushes I’ve owned so far and the knot really surprised me. No glue bump present, great backbone, soft tips and a very easy splay made this an absolute pleasure to use. The quality of synthetic brushes is now firmly up there with some top end badger brushes and this knot has really helped to confirm this message today.

I’ve written about the Rocnel Elite and DE-P elsewhere earlier today and aren’t going to repeat what I said here, other than to say that they’re both razors I recommend trying if you can get your hands on one. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunday
Pre-shave: Bulldog Face Scrub
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Bolzano Super Inox
Brush: Rooney 1/2 Best Badger
Soap: C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum/ Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Balm: Burberry Brit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom