What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" October 19th - October 25th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, OCtober 24th, 2020

Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84- MFG 2018> excellent well built SS razor, <mid range> depending on blade used IMO.
Blade: KAI SS (10) excellent blade for longevity + sharp & smooth + extra wide blade from standard blade by .009"thousands.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- nice scent with excellent lather qualities, reasonable post shave.
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm tuxedo knot with black marble handle - excellent lather creator + cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand cleanser bar + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my RR GC .84 combo with extra wide KAI SS blade.
DE SOTD, Sat Oct24th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Saturday, 10/24:

20201024_105413.jpg

Razor - Karve brass, D plate
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Morris & Forndran Heritage II L7 28mm blonde badger
Soap - Ariana & Evans The Equestrian
A/S - Ariana & Evans The Equestrian

Wow, what a shave. The brush was a pleasure lathering; good backbone and pretty soft tips but with mild scrub. It doesn't feel like my other blonde badger, not as soft, but hopefully there will be some break-in. The scent on The Equestrian is amazing. I get musk, vetiver I think, a really nice floral, and a hint of citrus. It's been a while since I used my Karve, and holy moley, I can't let it go that long again. So incredibly smooth, but the D plate mows everything down. The aftershave brought the citrus and floral notes forward and was an incredible way to finish. Awesome set. The shave was super close, and yet my face is super comfortable. 10/10

SOTD Saturday, October 23, 2020

Great shave, Gentlemen! PAA A/S & Cologne are wonderfully formulated. Put one of them on your bucket list.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur 33C
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: dscosmetic 26mm Carrot Synthetic Knot
Pre-Shave: PAA Cube 2.0 Mentholated
Lather: Tabac
Aftershave: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Diver Down Aftershave & Cologne
Additional Care:
Alum Block
cold water splash
Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub
Thayers Witch Hazel Cucumber Toner

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cartoon1603477253452.jpg

Razor: Gillette Heritage
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

PSX_20201023_081535.jpg

10/24/20 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Shampoo & Conditioner Puck
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
The Holy Black Mfg. Co. Black Magic Shaving Soap
RazoRock 400 Solid Aluminum 24 x 57mm Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Whitmor Water Spray Bottle
Mountain Mike 3” English Bridle Leather Strop
Ralf Aust 5/8” Round Point, Olivewood Handle, Full Hollow Grind Straight Razor
Laboratoires Osma Pure Potassium Alum Block
Thayers Alcohol Free Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
The Holy Black Mfg. Co. Black Magic Aftershave Splash
The Holy Black Mfg. Co. Black Magic Eau De Parfum
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Diver Down Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength - Homage to the Original Seaforth Spiced!
Maggard’s Razor Oil​

B IMG_7936.jpg

The Club | The Graveyard
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Hallows | AP Shave Co. SilkSmoke 28mm
Durham-Enders | Enders Speed Shaver | Schick Proline B-20

proxy.php

The Club's The Graveyard is VIP member exclusive, and as you might have guessed is a Halloween-themed set. The fragrance is a very chilly anise-centered one that swells to an elegant woody lavender. This is all eventually grounded in earthy vetiver and cedar, but the anise sustains throughout the shave. The splash is similar, but there's a transient sharp, bitter citrus in the beginning before the even more prominent anise takes over. The dry down eventually burns off the anise, leaving the vetiver and resinous cedarwood.

While this is a pleasant fragrance, the soap base is the real reason to pick this up. It seems like Ariana & Evans just debuted the Kaizen base, and they've already upgraded it to a second iteration dubbed "K2". Kaizen is one of the best soap bases available, having mastered all benchmarks of what makes an elite soap (ease of loading/lather, density, primary and residual slickness, and post-shave). I'm often skeptical when a new recipe comes right on the heels of an introductory product. Can it be that much different? With respect to K2, the answer is yes. Slickness got notably slicker. The post-shave of Kaizen is stellar. K2 inexplicably improves upon that to a level I did not think possible.

I've long abandoned the concept of assigning a leader board among the elite artisanal soap bases, but I will say that among the uber-performance soaps I'm using, none outperform K2.

Saturday night shave

C016CF0A-B708-4FB1-B5E9-31962E3F483A.jpeg

Pre: Ivory in the shower
Soap: Declaration Grooming La Petite Prairie
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Razor: Gillette N2 1968 Slim, setting 5 for the first pass and 1 for the second
Blade: Astra SP (#3)
Post: Alum followed by hyaluronic acid followed by Dickinson's witch hazel followed by DG La Petite Prairie aftershave followed by The Cool Fix

Good shave tonight. First use of the DG La Petite Prairie and it's a good performer--same as every DG I've tried. The scent is very different, but is one I'll keep because it will make a nice change of pace when it comes around.

Sunday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: Wostenholm & Sons Pipe 5/8" Full Hollow
Brush: Semogue 2018 TSN LE brush
Scuttle: Woodhead Medium
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Unscented
Shave Soap: Mickey Lee Drunken Goat
Balm: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
Aftershave: Small Batch Shave Tonic

10/25/20 Shave of the Day
Schick New and Improved 1940-1941 Type F Injector Razor
Schick Injector Blade - 1st Shave
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Diver Down Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength - Homage to the Original Seaforth Spiced!​

B IMG_7931.jpg

BB00C192-A7CA-4DAE-9361-3EAEDC6ADA28.jpeg

Cast your eyes upon this sad looking specimen. Note the lovely oxidation and uneven hone wear, and the odd looking edge. And while you can't see it in this photo, also note that the blade doesn't want to drop straight between the scales.

It arrived in my mailbox today, courtesy of a nearby eBay seller who had it with a mismatched box that happened to match a razor I already owned. It cost me $21 plus a bit for shipping. I probably overpaid. But I also have on its way, for a low price, a good-looking Henckels razor that comes with a mismatched box which in turn happens to match this razor, which is a Peder Tolstrup from Fred Dolle in Chicago.

Just for the hell of it, I sat down with the 600 to 2500 grits of wet-dry sandpaper and lazily went at it for maybe ten minutes at the most. It didn't look much better when I was done.

62ACECC6-91FF-4B36-9740-5C5396313CF7.jpeg

Whipped up a bit of Williams Mug lather to lather up my only hone, a $10 Swaty 3-line (a real Währing von Wien) and gave it a dozen swipes on each side, then the usual passes on both sides of the unpasted Illinois 127. With no expectations I ran it over my arm, and.... the dumb thing treetopped hair? What the.....?

So now I had to try it. Whipped up more Williams on my face, set the blade to it, and all it did was give me the best and easiest straight shave I've had yet. No feedback from the aftershave splash either.

I seriously don't understand this at all. Not that I'm complaining, but it's somehow really never occurred to me that there are such performance differences between these razors.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
40E20411-7768-46CA-A92C-8636A0FEB69E.jpeg

1) Germany: Brush Vintage Muhle Erzeugnisse Shaving Brush.
2) Germany: Soap Tabac.
3) Poland: Razor Gillette Blue 3 disposable.
4) France: Alum Block Osma.
5) Poland: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Skin and Stubble Balm.
6) USA: Cologne Calvin Klein Euphoria Cologne.

SOTD : 25th October 2020.

2.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower / Original Source ~ Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Simple ~ Sensitive Bar Soap + Wilko Men's shave Oil.

Brush: Wilkinson Sword Boar.

Bowl Lather.

Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Uber/Superlather: Williams Mug Shaving Soap + The Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream.

Blade: Bolzano Superinox Inossidable. (2)

Razor: Parker 87r.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade peppermint lavender eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Witch Hazel Mixture./Brut ~ ASL.

Boots ~ Freshwood ASB.

A relaxing Sunday morning shave.

The Bolzano SI paired together wonderfully with the parker 87r making a smooth efficient duo.

Another very comfortable 3 pass + pick ups near BBS shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous dollop of Boots ~ Freshwood ASB.

My face is feeling silky smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy you sunday ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

10/25/20 Shave of the Day
Schick New and Improved 1940-1941 Type F Injector Razor
Schick Injector Blade - 1st Shave
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Diver Down Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength - Homage to the Original Seaforth Spiced!​

View attachment 1173306
Ah you’ve got a type F Injector like me. A rare razor indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom