Wed 14th OCtober#11 SOTD
Soap Colonel Conk Lime
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor Pearl OC (local name-Cukur) on Yaqi Handle
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock Stainless #5
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman GentsGin
Good soap and together with the brush created a nice slick lather with pleasant scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was very good and efficient. So smooth and comfortable for 3+1 pass for a BBS result. The following post & aftershave was great. Rating 9.6/10
20201013_232519.jpg

20201014_071750.jpg

2B044613-A0B3-497D-AB19-CD0F9E30EAA6.jpeg

SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 14, 2020

Well it seems I’m on a streak. My shave this morning was more than acceptable. The Riga Razor delivered a fine three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) shave, but just feels large and clumsy in hand. I think at this point I prefer my vintage Japanese Silver Steel and old cast steel Sheffield razors. They feel more balanced to me, and much more comfortable to shave with.

I may have been unduly influenced by my son, Ben, who claims that many modern razors are gimmicky with either shortened or unnecessarily extended spines and blade widths. He stated that that was not the case with my Dovo Special or with modern TI or Boker. He encouraged me to try the Riga as it is also more traditional in design. If I end up pursuing modern artisan razors I’ll probably stick with traditional designs.

My dome shave featured another Valet Auto Strop model, the VC1. I loaded and restropped the Feather FAS-10 blade from yesterday’s shave in the VB2 Auto Strop. The result was another excellent two pass ((ATG, ATG) dome shave that left the noggin feeling smooth and velveteen after the 888 Splash from RazoRock.

The Soap Commander lather was ok, but at this point I definitely prefer MWF and Nancy Boy to any artisan soap I’ve tried, and I’ve tried a lot. Most of them are slick, but all the ones I’ve tried leave my skin feeling dry after the shave as does Soap Commander. Lush Prince does not, but that is a brushless cream in the same category as the Cremo and Headblade Slick products. The only unscented soap bases I’ve not tried are the PAA CK6 and the A&E Shave Butter. I’ve ordered both. We’ll see. I feel clean and refreshed.

RAZOR: Riga Razor 7/8 (Mug), Valet Auto Strop Model VC1 ( Dome)
BLADE: Feather FAS-10 Carbon Steel
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Argan Oil
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger Fan Knot
SOAP: Soap Commander Honor
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with GlyceGlycerin Soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with RazoRock 888 Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Splash.

Wed shave 1.jpg

SoapKlar Seifen Rasiwerseife
BrushBigelow, Super
RazorWolfman WR 2 SB 1.05
BladePersonna Lab
AftershaveThayers Rose Petal WH & L’Occitane ASB
FragranceJimmy Choo Man Intense

The soap doesn't seem to have much of a following here on B&B. However, it makes a wonderful, slick lather. The brush also is not seen that much here. However, the Bigelow in Super grade, IMHO, is an incredible buy. It is a large brush that is soft to the face and produces a rich lather. And, since it is Wednesday, the razor is a Wolfman WR 2!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, Oct14th 2020

Razor: Razorock game changer .84- Mfg 2018>Excellent razor with a Kai SS (7) blade combo, very smooth.
Blade: KAI SS (7) Excellent blade, .009"of inch wider than a standard blade, Sharp& Smooth with longevity!
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea- Unique scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 26mm tuxedo knot- excellent brush for creating lather quickly with cloud like soft tips. very nice big knot.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The dead Sea Aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my RR GC.84 + KAI blade combo.
DE SOTD, Wed, Oct 14th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Wednesday, 10/14:

20201014_104432.jpg

Razor - Blackland Vector
Blade - Schick Proline
Brush - Brad Sears 1000 26mm Estate 2-band
Soap - Soap Commander Courage
A/S - Soap Commander Courage balm

Ah yes, very nice indeed! Today's brush was the excellent Brad Sears Estate, which checks every box and is a terrific daily driver brush. It generated a nice, shiny, wet lather, and the scent is just awesome. I started the first pass using a much more shallow angle, and it paid off big time. The cutting action was so much smoother than I've gotten in my previous shaves and, along with all the other great qualities of this razor, makes this a real pleasure to use. I used a more neutral angle for the 2nd pass after the stubble was reduced, and this approach worked out great. My Shave was really close and I'm feeling nicely cleaned up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom