What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" November 30th - December 6th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD, Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Absolutely great shave from the Merkur Progress with a Shark blade. Glided thought the bristles with the lubricating assistance of my last bit of Derby Lemon Moisturizing Super Shaving Cream. Another soap 3017'd. At $2.95 for the tube, you get 35 excellent lathers.

Have a good hump day, Gentlemen!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Shark (3)
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Starcraft 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synth Brush
Pre-Shave: PAA Cube 2.0 Mentholated
Lather: Derby Lemon Moisturizing Super Shaving Cream
Aftershave: West Coast Shaving Fougere
Additional Care:
Alum Block
cold water splash
Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub
Thayers Witch Hazel Cucumber Toner
English Laundry Notting Hill
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

0ED8AAD1-48CF-4BAA-9BE6-E291F426C1FC.jpeg

SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 2, 2020

DX Decision December’s second shave featured the Blackland Tradere, a truly groundbreaking razor for its time in 2012. According to Sharpologist, the original design, here replicated by Blackland Razor eight years later, represented one of the first CNC SS safety razor designs delivered with a unique serial number. The name “Tradere” in Latin means ‘to pass on posterity’ and the safety razor was designed by Richard Mason, a lawyer and wet shaving enthusiast from Reno Nevada. Only 1100 original razors featuring both safety bar and open comb designs were produced during the two years of operation of the original company and cost $169.99, a high price for the time.

The new razors are faithful to the original design, which is moderately efficient in the safety bar version here, but given the current plethora of US produced CNC designed razors these days - Timeless, Charcoal Goods, ATT, HC&S, and Carbon Shaving - to name a few, the Blackland Tradere is a dated design that has been improved on by its successors. So the question is, does it stay or does it go? The two pass (ATG, ATG) dome shave today was good, but not in the same category as my vintage Shake Sharps, Schick E Type or even my Valet Auto Strops. So there’s an excellent chance it will go on the auction site shortly.

The Feather DX delivered a bloodless three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) velveteen mug shave. The highlight of this morning’s shave was the wonderful croap lather generated from A&E Kaizen. It was almost comparable to MWF, but in fairness is in a different lather making product category. According to experts on this Forum, there are 4 categories of lather making product using a brush. Canned shave foams are naturally excluded as there is no brush involvement. They are, and I quote directly with added numbering and my comments in brackets:

“ 1) Soap: Hard not moldable, can sometime be melted and poured. ex. Tabac, Soap Commander, Williams, Col. Conk, Van Der Hagen, etc ‘[also easily grated]’

2) Stick: Comes in stick form to be used to build lather on face. Some sticks can be softer some harder, but these are all sticks. ex. Arko, La Toja, Palmolive, etc

3) Croap: A soap that can be molded easily, and has consistency thicker than a cream, but still classified as a soap due to ingredients used to create product. ex. Cella, Stirling, Proraso, etc

4) Cream: An item that comes in a tube or tub, but has the consistency similar to lotion or a balm. ex. Proraso (tube), Godrej, KMF, TOBS, etc. ”

Kaizen, according to this typology falls neatly into the Croap category. It generated a rich, lather that also provided excellent post shave skin feel. The only negative for me was the scent, which I killed with a healthy application of wintergreen oil. All in, the result was a marvelous shave with great post shave. I feel refreshed, clean, and smoothly velveteen.

RAZOR: Feather DX Wood Handle (Mug), Blackland Tradere (Dome)
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Two Band Badger Ferrule
CROAP: A&E Kaizen (Scent killed w/ wintergreen oil)
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Aftershave Balm.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD. WED. Dec2nd 2020

Razor: Oneblade core 2nd version- Excellent daily driver, mild razor, I need 3 pass and it just does it's job for great shaves.
Blade: modified Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) excellent blade with great sharpness and longevity, predictable.
Soap: Sampler of Germyn TOBS - light scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Evil Zebra handle knot 26 mm syn- New & used for the first time, great lather creator, cloud like soft tips, good gentle scrub that will splay, very happy with another Yaqi in my shave Den.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups. WTG +XTG+ATG + pickups. Oneblade works well with a 3 pass shave.
Post shave: Witch Hazel + Nivea refreshing Aftershave + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Oneblade Core with a modified Gem blade.

SE SOTD, Dec 2nd 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and Think safe in these times!

SOTD-WFSR-K_2020-12-02.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga C-3 22/49 Finest Mistura
Soap: TFS Italian Rhubarb
Razor: Worlds Finest Safety Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (1)
ASL: Almond Splash

WFSR Shave 26:
Another excellent shave. :biggrin:

Cold Water Shave 7:
My seven cold water shaves have been very nice. I'm going back to my usual "warm water" next shave, to try and find out which I prefer (or if it's a tie).

The TFS Italian Rhubarb was very nice again. It mixed well with the Almond Splash, and I'm still getting the pleasant scent of that mixture an hour post-shave.

There was no drama with my first Wilkinson Sword blade, but then, I didn't expect there would be. All the teams I've picked to join the WFSR so far have excelled.

When-a-plan-comes-together.jpg

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom