What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" May 3rd - May 9th, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was about to warm up my shaving mug, and pull out the strop when it dawned on me that I should give the bear bones shave a try here in my home before I'm stuck with it out on the island. I put my mug away and gave my strop a smile, then grabbed my Feather ASD2, a fresh Feather blade, and a puck of Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap and just sat it on the counter. That alone felt very unimpressive, especially compared to straight razor preparations. I took a shower and gave shaving a go with nothing but a puck of soap in one hand, and a safety razor in the other and here's what I learned.

1. Using a straight razor has stepped up my shaving game in ways that I didn't know possible. I feel that using a SR taught me to truly understand blade angle, and blade feel. It also taught me the difference between that feeling of "this is cutting my hair" and "this is about to cut into my throat"

2. Pressure; I learned that I wasn't using enough pressure when I was first learning to use the ASD2. When I hit that 45° angle with a nice firm pressure, the razor reminded me of an eraser on a grease board. It was as if it was just wiping away the hairs.

3. Rubbing a puck of soap on your wet face is not romantic or glamorous, but it worked. I needed to add a few dabs of water as the shave went but it worked just fine.

It wasn't nearly as enjoyable as a SR shave with delicious warm fluffy lather in a mug, but it was miles ahead of a cartridge razor shave and most importantly, it was a success. Plus the best part in this situation is how little space double edge blades take up.

My hope for the next two weeks is to see how far a single blade will last for me. Then I can gauge how many I will need to shave 3 times a week for 20 weeks.

Lastly, I timed the shave. From hand on the razor to rinse with cold water came in just under 10 minutes. I was hoping for shorter, but it's a start.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
0F744BC5-9389-4225-8CF9-3845DF2A393F.jpeg

1) Italy: Brush Omega 10777.
2) Turkey: Soap Derby Shaving Soap.
3) Multinational: Razor Gillette SkinGuard. Cartridge made in Germany, Handle made in Poland and assembled in Poland.
4) France: Alum Block Osma.
5) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Skin and Stubble Balm.
6) USA: Cologne Vera Wang for men Cologne.

SOTD - Thursday 06 May 2021

proxy.php

• Safety Razor: Timeless Razor - Scalloped - 0.95mm - TRH2 - Stainless Steel - Polished
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: Declaration Grooming - The Jefferson Thunderhead B8 - 28mm Fan (Finest Badger)
  • Shaving Soap: House of Mammoth - Hygge
  • After-Shave Balm: House of Mammoth - Hygge

Greetings B&B!

Tonight I tried some stuff I’ve not used before. I must say that since I find myself sort of a hoarder when it comes to my wet shaving AD I have several hundred combinations. I’ve included a rating and if the item was used by me before or not.

proxy.php

Brush: Badlands Shaving Co. Australian Mallee Burl Handled Brush with a 24mm SHD 2 Band Maggard Siliconed Knot (unused)
Bowl: Doug Smith Pottery Suribachi Shave Bowl (a Favorite)
Lather: Poraso Green
Razor: Tatara Masamune Nodachi Razor (unused)
Blade: Feather Blade as recommended by Tatara (unused)
Balm: Taylor of Old Bond Street Royal Forest Luxury After Shave Cream

I was supremely impressed with this new hardware shave! The Nodachi head was a tad more aggressive than I’m used to. I got a few weepers which was to be expected. I’d rate this shave as a DFS after one pass. I didn't need anything more than that. Thanks Brothers of the Blade for the constant reassurance and guidance. It goes to show that even with new hardware solid technique is the trick for a truly enjoyable middle of the night shave. 8.5/10

Cy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOTD : 6th May 2021.

92.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears ~ Transparent Bar Soap With Mint Extracts. + Nuage Menthol shaving Oil.
Brush: Lider Turkish Boar.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.
Lather : Arko ~ Cool Shaving Cream.
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum. (D4)
Razor: Muhle r89.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.+ 3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Arko ~ Cool AS/Cologne + ASB.

Greetings,

Early morning shave,

Last outing of the Astra SP which has performed wonderfully with each shave. The blade still feels as though it could carry on with a few more shaves. Very impressive considering i done my monthly head shave with it which is equivalent to two face shaves...The Muhle r89 has been a delight to re-introduce myself to this week. I have reminded myself why i consider it to be my favourite DE razor.

Yet again The 'Arko cool trio' worked together wonderfully making my morning shave a pleasurable experience...I've mentioned before in many of my posts i'm a great fan of both Arko & Derby shaving products. I know that some people cringe at the thought of using them or may have an allergic reaction to these products or dries their skin or don't like the scent 'especially the Shave sticks'...As with any shaving products subjective opinions will always be found especially with shaving soaps and creams, and even more so with DE blades...Each to their choice as the saying goes...

Another enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report.

Finishing to the shave off with a small dollop of Arko ~ Cool ASB.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
THURSDAY
6 May, 2021

______
Gel: Elegance Plus "Jupiter"
Razor: RR "Lupo" .72
Blade: Silver Star
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizer
Frag: Bandit
Abbreviated shave this morning
without the accoutrements of ritual.

BBS shave nonetheless. (Still prefer
the traditional rite of brush and lather.)

Stay healthy, everyone!

Bill

Brush: Farvour Turncraft with Maggard knot
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: ‘48 - ‘50 Superspeed, nickel replate
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Aftershave: Oglalla bay rum

The brush arrived yesterday. This Maggard two-band is a really nice knot. I prefer it to the SHD.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant- 2017> Excellent upper mid range, When technique is good this razor can crank out some close shaves, light touch works well with this razor. I don't think it would be Daily driver for myself but a joy to use regardless.
Blade: Gillette Astra SS(5) excellent blade, Sharp & Smooth with good longevity.
Soap: Razorock XXX, One of my favorites, nice refreshing scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Moka 24mm Mew knot, nice eye candy, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips with gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar slant + a Astra SS blade.
DE SOTD, Thursday, May 6th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom