• Clubman Travel Steptic Pencil
  • Gentleman Jon's Alum Block
  • Proraso Wood and Spice ASB
  • Proraso Wood and Spice EdC
  • Stirling Soaps Sandalwood Deo
  • Dax Short and Neat Pomade
[IMG]

[IMG]

I think I gotta get one of those scuttles!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Sat May30th, 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb or MMOC- Mfg 1930-41, the razor that helped Gem pull through during the dirty thirties. One of best razors Gem made IMO and was revolutionary for its time with the first Twist to open(TTO) ever.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) great all around blade, sharpness, longevity and smooths out during its life cycle nicely.
Soap: Tabac- great soap that lasts & lasts........triple milled with a mild floral scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle, excellent brush that splays,scrubs,soft tips &paints well.
Pre-shave:Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavenderaftershave with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem Micromatic razor today.

SOTD, Sat May 30th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Saturday, 5/30:

20200530_112659.jpg

Razor - Above the Tie Atlas R1
Blade - Feather
Brush - Graydog 26mm Fullmoon
Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
A/S - OneBlade balm

I opted to go back to MWF today and LOAD LESS. I sprinkled a little water on top for a minute to soften, then loaded for maybe 40 seconds. Still a ton of soap! I was able to hydrate and shine it up better, but it still made mounds of dense creamy lather that was threatening to jailbreak. This brush is a real pleasure to use, and I love working the lather with painting strokes with it. Wonderful. ATT showed the stubble who's boss. Still one of my favorite razors. There was more redness on my neck than usual immediately afterwards, which I think was from taking the diagonal downward strokes I've been trying out. Those strokes might only work for certain milder razors; we'll see. The redness subsided pretty quickly though, and I was left with another crazy close shave and good complexion. My face is soft and smooth. 👌

Today’s SOTD sponsored by “Saturday” my favourite word in the whole weekly vocabulary! Today’s razor the Colonial General SS SE. I love this razor and it is easily one of the best shavers I own.

B&M Tuesday is a lovely lavender and violet blend and it is pretty spectacular scent wise. I could use this one and Seville exclusively and be quite happy.

Beautiful three pass BBS shave! Ahhhh, Saturday how I love you! Enjoy the weeks, check in with your family and enjoy your shaves. Stay safe!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Colonial General SS
Blade: Kai Captain Original
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Lather: Barrister & Mann Tuesday
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Tuesday
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Gucci Pour Homme
242ADDE1-C9C8-4CAF-A64D-1E8A1E8022F4.jpeg

Nice post bike ride shave this morning. So nice, I posted it twice.

Razor: Gillette New SC re-plated in nickel by Back Roads Gold
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Soap: Martin de Candre Agrumes (I have been using assorted MdC exclusively this week, great soap)
Brush: Rudy Vey AS3M Dark Knight with Shavemac D01 3 Band
Aftershave: Stirling Port au Prince (a Haitian vetiver/lemongrass bomb explodes in an aftershave-amazing)

IMG_5321.jpeg

ABFADB06-5C82-4255-8D5A-B49FC2960789.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY, MAY 30, 2020

It’s clear to me why this Supply razor is so popular. First off is it’s adjustability via the three plates. Secondly, the industrial design of the razor is visually beautiful and the weight is perfect. I understand the alloy version is a bit lighter, but still much heavier than most vintage razors. But thirdly, and most importantly, it just works. The shave angle is intuitive making it a joy to shave with. Any experienced wet shaver can pick up this razor and be shaving with it almost immediately. If you check the threads about this razor, most of the discussion from users relates to blade and blade type. Please don’t take offense, those of you out there with a particular blade preference, but I own a variety of vintage injectors. After cycling through the the ‘Chicks’ (Chinese Schicks), Pella (relabeled Personnas, Personnas, Twinjectors, ‘74s’, vintage whatevers, and Japanese Schick B-20 Proline, I settled on Proline blades which happened to be the same blades I enjoyed with my AC razors. That is until I discovered Feather Supers. The only issue these blades suffer from is longevity. I’ve had up to 28 shaves with an AC Proline blade before it begins to tug. My AC Feather Supers never lasted more than 4 or 5 shaves at best. With my Proline Injectors I’ve had up to 15 shaves on a single blade before it started looking tea stained. The jury is still out on the modified Feather Super in my Supply razor. Today was my second shave on the cut-down Feather Super AC blade. All went swimmingly well.

My 26mm Boar knot finally arrived two days ago from China. I cleaned it up, epoxied it to the ferrule and then attached it to the Alpha Shaving Tribute brush handle. Despite soaking it in conditioner, it still was relatively ‘Scritchy’. That should smooth out with continued use. After enjoying Nancy Boy shaving cream and AS Gel for the last week or so, I selected Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Soap and AS Splash, a very pleasantly mentholated combination. Three drops of M-Bomb brought the soap to the appropriate level of mentholation. After my preparatory Cold water rinse, the shave began. I enjoy face and dome lathering a great deal with Boar brushes, but not with a new knot. Bowl lathering worked well with the new knot which did demonstrate the expected ‘scritchiness’ of a new Boar knot on my shave surfaces. The lather proved to be nicely thick, shiny and yogurty in texture, although not as slick as the Nancy Boy lathers. The shave, as mentioned earlier, was spectacular with the exception of the soap not measuring up to its predecessor in the slickness dept. Two slow pleasant passes (WTG, ATG) transformed your humble narrator from ‘Sammy Stubble’ to ‘Velveteen Greene’ as this excellent safety razor once again delivered me to VBBS land. I feel cool, clean, velveteen smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Supply Polished SS V2
BLADE: Modified Feather Super AC Blade (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Boar Knot Ferrule
SOAP: Fine Accoutrements’s Snake Bite
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Snake Bite AS Splash.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
View attachment 1106967

SOTD SATURDAY, MAY 30, 2020

It’s clear to me why this Supply razor is so popular. First off is it’s adjustability via the three plates. Secondly, the industrial design of the razor is visually beautiful and the weight is perfect. I understand the alloy version is a bit lighter, but still much heavier than most vintage razors. But thirdly, and most importantly, it just works. The shave angle is intuitive making it a joy to shave with. Any experienced wet shaver can pick up this razor and be shaving with it almost immediately. If you check the threads about this razor, most of the discussion from users relates to blade and blade type. Please don’t take offense, those of you out there with a particular blade preference, but I own a variety of vintage injectors. After cycling through the the ‘Chicks’ (Chinese Schicks), Pella (relabeled Personnas, Personnas, Twinjectors, ‘74s’, vintage whatevers, and Japanese Schick B-20 Proline, I settled on Proline blades which happened to be the same blades I enjoyed with my AC razors. That is until I discovered Feather Supers. The only issue these blades suffer from is longevity. I’ve had up to 28 shaves with an AC Proline blade before it begins to tug. My AC Feather Supers never lasted more than 4 or 5 shaves at best. With my Proline Injectors I’ve had up to 15 shaves on a single blade before it started looking tea stained. The jury is still out on the modified Feather Super in my Supply razor. Today was my second shave on the cut-down Feather Super AC blade. All went swimmingly well.

My 26mm Boar knot finally arrived two days ago from China. I cleaned it up, epoxied it to the ferrule and then attached it to the Alpha Shaving Tribute brush handle. Despite soaking it in conditioner, it still was relatively ‘Scritchy’. That should smooth out with continued use. After enjoying Nancy Boy shaving cream and AS Gel for the last week or so, I selected Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Soap and AS Splash, a very pleasantly mentholated combination. Three drops of M-Bomb brought the soap to the appropriate level of mentholation. After my preparatory Cold water rinse, the shave began. I enjoy face and dome lathering a great deal with Boar brushes, but not with a new knot. Bowl lathering worked well with the new knot which did demonstrate the expected ‘scritchiness’ of a new Boar knot on my shave surfaces. The lather proved to be nicely thick, shiny and yogurty in texture, although not as slick as the Nancy Boy lathers. The shave, as mentioned earlier, was spectacular with the exception of the soap not measuring up to its predecessor in the slickness dept. Two slow pleasant passes (WTG, ATG) transformed your humble narrator from ‘Sammy Stubble’ to ‘Velveteen Greene’ as this excellent safety razor once again delivered me to VBBS land. I feel cool, clean, velveteen smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Supply Polished SS V2
BLADE: Modified Feather Super AC Blade (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Boar Knot Ferrule
SOAP: Fine Accoutrements’s Snake Bite
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Snake Bite AS Splash.
Thanks for another entertaining and informative narrative. That razor is sounding better and better. Reminds me of the adjustable s/s PAL injector I had many years ago.

Parker Variant razor
Wilkinson Sword blade (4)
PAA Scentsless pre-shave
Dr. Jon's 53 East and 51st soap and aftershave
Shavemac Jade 26mm synthetic fan brush
Doug Smith Pottery shave mug
Osma alum block
Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm

A few nicks today, but it was still an enjoyable shave. For the scent, I enjoy the aftershave more than the soap, but it's solid.
IMG_20200530_150824628.jpg

Razor: Parker SRW Shavette
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
(I continue to use these as a baseline as I learn how to use an SR. I am anxious to try something else though. I am afraid to use them more than one shave.)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted Maple handle with Full Moon Synthetic
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: Proraso Blue Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Rating: 8.6/10
  • Single pass shave with a little cleanup....one small nick
  • I got under my chin, my main trouble area, really well - almost BBS. For a single pass shave w/ clean-up, I'll take it.
  • Disappointed that I have some minor stubble along my upper lip line as I had paid extra attention to that area today
  • Excited that my lower lip line is BBS!
  • Excited that I found myself going over some areas a littler quicker and naturally. I need to pick up my speed a little for my overall shave time (while not rushing). I am taking too long and would like to make a quicker 1st pass shave so I can take a 2nd pass :smile1: :smile1: :smile1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom