What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" May 18th - May 24th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Sunday shave in honor of Memorial Day and the brave men and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we may enjoy liberty and the many freedoms that come with it....
5.24.20.2.jpg
5.24.20.1.jpg
5.24.20.jpg

Krect Spiral Curve (1st Gen)/BIC. Once past the fear of the razor coming apart on my head I enjoyed this shave. Mild in exposure, medium efficiency (minor pick-ups with the Enders), more audible feedback than most mild razors. Happy to have this one.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
SUNDAY, 24 May 2020

Lather: Stirling Executive Man
Bowl: Silicone dog feeder
Brush: H.I.S synth*
Razor: Oristo
Blade: Dorco Prime (6)
Balm: CeraVe
Frag: Paco Rabane One Million

*This is one of three that I bought eight or nine years ago
when they dramatically outperformed synths of the time.
Every few years I "retire" them, but always bring them back,
as they still lather on a par with most of today's synths.

Stay healthy, everyone!

Hi! Shave #27:
View attachment 1104177
Pre: hot water, olive oil soap by Joserra.
Lather: Stirling Electric Sheep.
Brush: Oz Shaving Lord Of The Rings Barad-dûr.
Razor: Schick Platinium "Darth Vader".
Blade: Perma-sharp (#1).
Take care and have a nice Towel Day tomorrow!
How does that plastic thing shave? I saw one for sale on a classified ad for very little money and was thinking of getting it (even though it is ugly, in my opinion).

1A559C08-D7DD-4911-B115-98F45C132CD7.jpeg
BF0D7DC2-40A8-4218-B9C3-FEF11F674BB5.jpeg

SOTD SUNDAY, MAY 24, 2020

The Gem MMOC (Micromatic Open Comb) was the first mainstream TTO (Twist To Open) production model released to the American public around 1930, as our own very able working razor historian, @jmudrick, pointed out in a Gem thread on this very forum. The attached ad is one he dug up indicating that it was already available in 1930. This may indicate the late 1920s (‘28 or ‘29) as the time of introduction by ASR (American Safety Razor corporation). The $1 price in 1930 would be worth approximately 15$ ($14.94) in 2020 dollars.

The one issue that arises with this razor is that there are no drains in the baseplate other than the OC teeth. Thus, it is easily clogged if not rinsed after every few strokes. This, of course, led to the introduction of the Gem MMCP (Micromatic Clog Pruf) a few years later to remedy the problem. The MMCP is essentially the same razor with a safety bar and two good sized lather drains in the baseplate. Unfortunately for the ASR, Gillette introduced their own TTO DE design 3 years after the MMOC, which had no drainage issues and provided two cutting edges reducing the need to rinse as frequently.

Despite its design failings, the MMOC is a great shaver for me! Being a bit OCD helps, as far as frequent rinsing goes. I loaded a fresh Pella SS PTFE blade for today’s shave. The shave cream is again Nancy Boy enhanced with the usual 6 drops of M-Bomb. The lather application tool today was the Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger Brush #378. Software included Thayers WH, Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash and A&E Post-Shave Serum. The shave was every bit as good as my Last three shaves with the Eveready Streamline, Brass Gem Model 1912 and My Gem G-Bar shave yesterday. Gems just work for me. There were no clogging issues with the razor thanks to my OCD. The result was another two pass VBSS. Tomorrow the shave will be with my Gem MMCP.

RAZOR: Gem MMOC
BLADE: Pella SS PTFE GEM
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb added
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

20200524_200155_resized.jpg

SOTD
Pre: Hot Shower
Soap: Ariana & Evans Kaizen
Razor: Executive Shaving The Outlaw Razor
Blade: King C.Gillette (2)
Brush: Kevy Shaves 24mm Tuxedo
A/S: Brut Sport Style
Balm: L’oreal Birch Sap

Trying out the Outlaw razor from Executive Shaving. Very smooth, great weight and fantastic knurling on the handle. Paired it with one of the new King C. Gillette blades and it felt as smooth as butter. Practically BBS with two passes and some pickups with this razor, with one or two small weepers on the neck area. That's not to say it's aggressive, just really efficient and feels great to use. The Kaizen soap from A&E is the new benchmark now for soap bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom