Whilliam

First Class Citizen
FRIDAY, 23 May 2020

Gel: Elegance Plus "Jupiter" (mint)*
Razor: Oristo
Blade: Dorco Prime (5)
Balm: CeraVe
Frag: Azzaro Chrome
*Another lazy shave with the glop. Good, but not great.
Nothing beats a brush and some well wrought lather.

Stay healthy, everyone!

EA03D1FB-397C-4553-B75C-7AA4A64ADD1A.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY, MAY 23, 2020

Yesterday’s shave with my Brass Gem Jr. Model 1912 was spectacular. Realizing that all safety razors are essentially just blade holders, the fun part of the hobby for me has been mastering the particulars of shave technique peculiar to each blade holder design. William Henson patented the first “hoe design” safety razor in 1847, but it really wasn’t until the 1880s that the Kampfe Bros. of Brooklyn, NY began producing their SE safety razor that later led to the Gem brand. With my Gem razors, since discovering the delightfully smooth and sharp SS Pella blades, shave technique turns out to be consistently similar with these “hoe design” SEs. Yes, there are minor differences in stroke and angle when shaving with an OC versus a SB Gem model, but the design itself just works!

For today’s shave I selected the G-Bar. This particular blade holder is one of the SB variants, and has never failed to deliver a top-of-the-line shave, and this morning was no different. The razor has a certain heft that just feels good in the hand. It sang “scraping toast” lyrics as it mowed through my whiskers right down to the skin line on that first WTG pass. The Nancy Boy shave cream provided a nicely slick, cooling cushion with its 6 drops of M-Bomb added. The 15.8 oz 316L SS Synth by Rearden Razor provided a bit of exercise during the two lather applications. The second ATG pass brought your happy narrator to VBSS land, the objective of every shave, and an A on the cotton ball test. Alum revealed some slight heat on the top of the back of my dome, but otherwise, another spectacular Gem shave. I feel clean, cool, velveteen smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Gem G-Bar
BLADE: Pella SS PTFE
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: 316L SS Synthetic by Rearden Razor
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

Sat 23rd SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Italian Orange
Bowl Turkish Copper
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Gillette Fatboy F4
Blade Gillette Nacet SS 3rd
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid + Aqua Velva Musk
Again...over do with lathering.... scoop out just peanut size of the soap and working it with the brush in the bowl produces a very satisfyingly nice lather. Lovely & lasting orangy/citrusy scent. Really nice brush for lathering.
Shave with FB paired with the blade felt good and surprisingly smooth. Set 9 for 1st pass and set 7 for the rest. Total 3 nice & comfortable multiple passes. Between BBS & DFS result. Rating 9/10. Have a great weekend everyone!
20200523_112909.jpg

20200523_120610.jpg

Saturday Shave 1bw.jpg

Saturday’s Shave

Another beautiful, sunny Arizona day. Today’s soap is Haslinger Coconut for the second day in a row. The brush today is B&B Essential Boar, Remembering Sue version. The razor today is the Mergress XL with a Treet Plat blade. After a four-pass shave I used cool water to remove any excess lather. I then applied Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Clubman. After a shower, the fragrance was Jimmy Choo Man Intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom