What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" May 13th - May 19th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday
Preshave: Clinique Charcoal Face Wash /Baxter Shave Tonic
Razor: RazoRock Mamba
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Red)
Brush: Thater LE 5
Soap: Kiss My Face Cool Mint Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum
Balm: Burberry Brit

Looks very slick — like a Formula 500 car — nice work.
Thank you. :001_smile
upload_2019-5-16_11-39-11.png

Ride that cap and watch those corners!
The whole idea is to have just about any blade angle I desire (like a straight). With safety razors I'm a confirmed SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance) member (i.e. guard rider). To me cap riding is cheating, and of course confirmed cap riders can use "No Guard" razors in complete safety. Personally I like a little bit of danger. :devil:

Bear in mind that I'm just talking about shaving beard whiskers. :wink2: :laugh:

ATT Aluminum SE1
Schick Proline P-30
Cold River Schapenmelk Shave Soap
Yaqi 24mm Pro Synthetic Brush
PAA Mysterum Serum
Old Spice Cologne

Thursday

Brush: Rooney Stubby 1
Cream: Arko Normal
Razor: Gillette New Bar Handle SC
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Clubman
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Pour Homme

Mike

proxy.php

Schick Injector//Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band//Haslinger Schafmilch//Kiehl's aftershave//Sampson's unscented balm//Bleu de Chanel EdP

5/16/19
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Muhle 21H 220 Rytmo w/Black Fiber
13/16 Bengall
Tony Miller 3" Premium Fast Bridle Strop
Osma Alum Block
Sir Irisch Moos
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Versace Pour Homme

SOTD5-16-19.jpg

Thursday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Ramblin’ Man
Soap: Bulgari Man in Black
Razor: Vintage Gillette Fat Boy
Blade: Vintage Gillette “Spoiler” Super Stainless (10)
Brush: Thater 2-Band Silvertip-26mmx55mm
Aftershave: Bulgari Man in Black EdT

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Bulgari Man in Black today. 20 seconds to load the Thater 2-Band Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Gillette “Spoiler” SS still in the Gillette Fat Boy. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Bulgari Man in Black EdT.

Bob

proxy.php

SOTD, Thursday, May 16th, 2019

Shower at gym + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shave soap + aftershave + cologne
Rooney badger brush
Edwin Jagger safety razor + Van der Hagen unbranded stainless blade

proxy.php

proxy.php

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap: Williams
Brush: Omega 10066
Razor: RR GC .68-P
Blade: Persona Crystal

Thanks to @emwolf for providing the great PIF, which allowed me to try Williams soap today! It's what I imagine the classic American barber used for years, it's simple with no real scent that my nose can detect. I had a DFS this morning with three passes and enjoyed every second of it!

First DE shave (though many many years ago (25 odd)I used to use the cheapo plastic Gillette DE from Boots the Chemist)

Brush: Omega boar
Cream: Monsavon
Razor: Made in England Rocket HD
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (Russian)
AS: Clubman Musk
Mug: Extremely rare late 20th Century/early 21st Century ceramic, colloquiolly known as "The Girlfriend's Coffee Mug Which I Done Nicked"

Notes: So after 5 or so years of SE shaving with a single razor (I did change the blades, Feathers are good but not that good) I thought it was time for a change from my old Star 1912. And what a difference. The Rocket has to be the least aggressive thing I've ever shaved with, I had to keep checking I hadn't forgotten to put a blade in it, really nice smooth shave, not quite BBS but I didn't try for that too hard. Surprisingly there were more weepers than I've had in a long time (about 5, I didn't notice them at all during the shave), I'm thinking the lack of aggression is causing me to maybe use too much pressure, I got more with this than my first go at a shavette the other day. I'll have to work on that, could be a blade angle thing too though I felt confident I'd found the right angle at the time. No real burn though, a little bit on my neck but nothing too major.

All in all a really enjoyable shave, I think I'm liking DE shaving, I have an Old Style and a Tech still to try, looking forward to them.

I must make a bit more of an effort with the photos I think haha

full

First DE shave (though many many years ago (25 odd)I used to use the cheapo plastic Gillette DE from Boots the Chemist)

Brush: Omega boar
Cream: Monsavon
Razor: Made in England Rocket HD
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (Russian)
AS: Clubman Musk
Mug: Extremely rare late 20th Century/early 21st Century ceramic, colloquiolly known as "The Girlfriend's Coffee Mug Which I Done Nicked"

Notes: So after 5 or so years of SE shaving with a single razor (I did change the blades, Feathers are good but not that good) I thought it was time for a change from my old Star 1912. And what a difference. The Rocket has to be the least aggressive thing I've ever shaved with, I had to keep checking I hadn't forgotten to put a blade in it, really nice smooth shave, not quite BBS but I didn't try for that too hard. Surprisingly there were more weepers than I've had in a long time (about 5, I didn't notice them at all during the shave), I'm thinking the lack of aggression is causing me to maybe use too much pressure, I got more with this than my first go at a shavette the other day. I'll have to work on that, could be a blade angle thing too though I felt confident I'd found the right angle at the time. No real burn though, a little bit on my neck but nothing too major.

All in all a really enjoyable shave, I think I'm liking DE shaving, I have an Old Style and a Tech still to try, looking forward to them.

I must make a bit more of an effort with the photos I think haha

full
Nice shave! If you like double edge razors try find a Wilkinson sword classic TTO, the new one, its fantastic! Even with my mild razors i use absolutely 0 pressure otherwise weepers are a certainty, bur fantastic shave! You're going to love double edged razors.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Nice shave! If you like double edge razors try find a Wilkinson sword classic TTO, the new one, its fantastic! Even with my mild razors i use absolutely 0 pressure otherwise weepers are a certainty, bur fantastic shave! You're going to love double edged razors.

Yeah, I am used to not using too much pressure (I have to admit, I've never been completely 0 pressure, I've always used a tiny, tiny amount with my Star depending on the shave) and I'd heard the Rocket was mild, it just really surprised me exactly how mild it was and I think I just overcompensated :D

I'll have a look at the classic too, thanks.

Edit: Thanks very much I think it was a version of the Classic that I used to shave with 25 or so years ago, not a Gillette as I mentioned in my post.

Thank you. :001_smile
View attachment 981123

The whole idea is to have just about any blade angle I desire (like a straight). With safety razors I'm a confirmed SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance) member (i.e. guard rider). To me cap riding is cheating, and of course confirmed cap riders can use "No Guard" razors in complete safety. Personally I like a little bit of danger. :devil:

Bear in mind that I'm just talking about shaving beard whiskers. :wink2: :laugh:

Ah, OK, I get it. Very cool. Sorta the DE-shaving equivalent of free climbing.
Have fun!

Patti

Yeah, I am used to not using too much pressure (I have to admit, I've never been completely 0 pressure, I've always used a tiny, tiny amount with my Star depending on the shave) and I'd heard the Rocket was mild, it just really surprised me exactly how mild it was and I think I just overcompensated :D

I'll have a look at the classic too, thanks.

Edit: Thanks very much I think it was a version of the Classic that I used to shave with 25 or so years ago, not a Gillette as I mentioned in my post.
The classic is a beautiful razor, i actually got a brand new one from a friend in the UK two weeks ago.
proxy.php

IMG_20190516_114441.jpg

Razor: Karve OC-D
Brush: Yaqi Heavy Metal Handle Silvertip Badger.
Soap: Trigodon Shaving Soap.
After Shave: Fine Classic After Shave - Platinum.
Blade- Rapira Platinum Lux.

Not been here for a few months, but here we go.

Focus SE
Astra SP
Yaqi Mokka
Supermax cream

Arko aftershave cream and AS

IMG_20190515_183209786.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom