What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" May 11th - May 17th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
After shaving with the G3 Slum Aristocrat for a week, it was time for a change. It is also “Sandalwood Sunday”, so:

Gillette Heritage Reissue
Astra SP (1)
Simpson’s #46 in Pure
TOBS Sandalwood Cream
Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
TOBS Sandalwood A/S

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunday, 5/17:

20200517_142348.jpg

Razor - Timeless SS 0.95 scalloped
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Grizzly Bay "Kashyyyk" 26mm HMW
Soap - Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
A/S - OneBlade balm

I'm testing out the Timeless 0.95 scalloped baseplate in the passaround going on, so I'm using the same blade brand and same soaps/creams I used with the open comb last week. Kashyyyk was soft as hell and gave me plentiful slick lather. Killer scent of course. To my face, the scalloped plate felt just about the same as my open comb plate. Same excellent shave, face feels great per the usual Timeless experience, no redness, just terrific. Not much else to say!

SOTD-OS-FS-VR-Y_2020-05-17.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (2)
ASL: Proraso Red

That was definitely a Zen Shave, loved it. :cornut:

Earlier today we were kinda flippantly discussing "DE Razor handle weights" in Al's journal. After sticking my oar in one particular thing sprang into my memory. (Bear in mind that I class razors and brushes as "hand tools.") At the time I was a junior civil engineer working on site on highways. Much of the work consisted of knocking stakes into the ground and nailing boards (profiles and slope rails) to them... this was the chaiman's job. Most of these guys were straight out of school, and so weak and uncoordinated that allowing them to use sledge hammers and claw hammers was somewhat of a liability. So most of us "ginger beers" ended up doing the manual work too (I remember the regular blood blisters from knocking hundreds of stakes in vividly).

Anyway, one day I went to the stores to replace my claw hammer. They gave me this strange looking modern thingy which had a metal shaft on it. I love new things and progress and thought "hey, great!" My love inverted on first use of the damned thing. The unnatural feel and unpleasant sensations running up my wrist were simply hellish. (Fortunately I managed to swap it for a good ol' wooden handled one.)

Now we come back to shaving. I've always considered that the most user-friendly hand tools have (should have) relatively heavy business ends and light comfortable handles. If the handles are made of wood that's a bonus. My new olive wood shaving tools give me that bonus. They are lighter and nicer to touch than their resin counterparts. And because the handles are so light I can feel (and enjoy) exactly what's happening at the business end. No bathroom dumbbells for me thank you (I'll stay in "shave heaven" for as long as I can). :001_tt2:

proxy.php

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Wholly Kaw King of Oud
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2)
Blade: Super Iridium BN-84 (3)
Scent: DR Harris Arlington

Last shave of the mine site assignment. And probably the best traveling shave I have experienced. Everything came together beautifully, resulting in a very comfortable three pass shave for a DFS+ result.
Homeward bound, at least for a short while.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
SUNDAY, 17 May 2020

Pre: Elegance Plus "Jupiter" gel
Lather: Stirling Sandalwood*
Brush: Yaqi Barberpole Tux synth, 24mm
Razor: Oristo
Blade: Silver Star (?)**
Balm: CeraVe
Frag: Vera Wang Look

*Someboday said it was Sandalwood Sunday.
Who am I to argue?

**Not as close as I am used to, so to the bin
this puppy goes.

Stay healthy, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom