What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" March 30th - April 5th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday, April 5
proxy.php

Mike's Bay Rum~~Simpson "The Hive"~~'47 Super-Speed/Sharp Star~~St. John's Bay Rum

Have a safe day!

B5A7A3C7-5465-458E-9637-64EBBC323A36.jpeg

SOTD 04/05/2020

Learned a new shaving lesson today about my Rex Ambassador, at least for me! It’s definitely blade dependent, YMMV. I’ve been shaving very successfully with the Rex since it’s repair at Razor Emporium. My usual settings are 5 and then 3 with a Voskhod blade, not with a Nacet blade. It appears that I need to adjust the settings that worked so well with the coated Voskhod blade. Nacets are really sharp, second after Feather, according to tests conducted at Refined Shave. A setting of 5 which worked so beautifully for me with the Voskhod was just too much blade exposure with the Nacet. After nicking myself three times within the first two strokes, I stopped, applied styptic, and swapped out the blade. I put the Nacet into my Feather SS, and loaded the Rex with a fresh Voskhod. It was like night and day. After the swap, I had the razor I remembered so fondly.

The Viking Silvertip Badger brush did an excellent job generating a nice thick pre-mentholated MWF paste which I then face and head lathered into that nice yogurty coating that works so well for me. After the initial blade faux pas, I proceeded to complete the first WTG pass, albeit gingerly on my injured right cheek. The rest of the pass was business as usual. After relathering, the second ATG pass was completed leaving me with a more than acceptable DFS++. Witch hazel followed by Fine Snake Bite AS Splash and Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme AS Balm completed a great shave leaving me feeling cool, smooth and clean.

RAZOR: Rex Ambassador
BLADE: Voskhod
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Snake Bite AS Splash. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme Aftershave Balm

proxy.php

SOTD 04/05/2020

Rating:
4 / 5

Razor: NAVAJA 7/8 FRIEDR.HERDER ABR.SOHN 49 Solingen cachas hueso

Brush: STIRLING dos bandas 24x50 Fan

Pre-Shave: Ducha caliente

Lather: ERASMIC shave cream

Aftershave: BRUT Classic

Additional Care:

MYRSOL emulsión

Saludos y mucho ánimo compañeros, yá queda menos :badger:

Much encouragement comrades, there is less.​

Hi, can I ask if the razor feels unbalanced due to the handle being heavier at the bottom from the slightly larger diameter?

No, not to me. The balance point is still about a third of the way down the handle like many other razors. It might be just slightly lower, like between a third and two fifths, but it's pretty negligible; I'd need a ruler to tell the difference. Ultimately, it ends up sitting in my hand right where I want it to, and it is SUPER agile with that grip point. I'm telling you, I was flying with it this week. Also, an added bonus is that that slightly bigger knob gives you a great place to rest on your pinky.

FULL DISCLOSURE:

During the current stay-at-home situation, I grudgingly admit that my SOTD has become my SO3o4Ds. Today's shave was a repeat of a past shave: Hot water with Stirling Sharp Dressed Man shaving soap loaded up onto a no-name synthetic tuxedo brush (very big and very nice!) and Parker razor with a Shark Blade.

TOMORROW'S SHAVE: With hopes that my planning and commitment to shaving tomorrow will be motivation enough for me to get up on time (before noon) and shave and shower, I am posting tomorrow's shave today. I call it "Black and Blue Monday."

Traditional Williams Shaving puck in a lapis blue coffee mug.
New-to-me – Jequil Corenveo - Galaxy - Tuxedo Synthetic knot - 24mm (Thanks, Scott!)

New-to-me Eagle Krona (Thanks, Scott!) with a new Rockwell blade.

And good ol’ Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorn AS splash.
20200405_124850.jpg

SOTD 05th April 2020: Affordable luxury

sotd05042020.jpg

Razor: EJ DE86
Blade: BIC (1)
Soap: LEA shaving stick
Brush: Omega 10065 boar
Aftershave: Haslinger Sandalwood balm

Shower/Cold water face rinse/ Brush in hot water/Face lather
WGT/XGT/Partial AGT

Though I have yet to master the boar (to be honest I scarcely use it since I prefer lower lofts) it produced a fine lather with little effort and frequent water dips.
LEA still amazes me of what a great lather a 2€ soap can provide, without having to load it like there is no tomorrow.
And though it may be a little drying afterwards, Haslinger comes to balance it all.
As a side note BIC just became a serious conteder in the EJ. It was really hard to believe that there was not a Feather inside.
Oh and a tiny nick just as a reminder that even mild/aggresive you should never take it lightly.

Sunday, 4/5:

20200405_140845.jpg

Razor - Fatip Piccolo SE, closed comb
Blade - Shark Super Chrome
Brush - Rudy Vey boxelder burl 22mm Manchurian white badger fan
Soap - DR Harris Marlborough
A/S - Cremo Reserve balm

I have already used a Fatip Retro before, but besides this kit just looking cool, I was intrigued by the inclusion of a closed comb. Had to try it. My new Rudy Vey was balls at loading from the hard puck, and good God do I love Marlborough. The smoky, leathery scent has this creamy note to it that is addictive, and the mildness of it keeps it mysterious and not overpowering. Whipped up a nice, creamy lather with great slickness and cushion. The brush is such a nice fit in the hand, and it's a small, agile size. It's a bit prickly, but not so bad that I couldn't face lather with this brush probably. Hopefully there's a bit more break-in. Really pleasurable to apply the lather. I took razor to face, and I was able to use a typical neutral angle to great effect, but it seemed like I could've fooled around with a wider range of I so chose. But what blew me away was A) the closed comb really did feel gentler than I remember the OC being, and B) the razor was REALLY smooth, even with the Shark. It made the Shark seem like an Astra. The small size and weight were great in hand, and the grip was sure. I really really enjoyed using this, and it was easy to use too. The result was a crazy close shave with no irritation. I did end up with redness on my neck, but I'm still very pleased with the shave I got. Looking forward to exploring the OC as well this week.

SOTD-B_2020-04-05.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 22/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos 'Red'
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (4)
ASL: Proraso Red

Another great shave (Lo Storto #4). :cornut:

I haven't made my mind up yet, but this baby is scaling the podium to reach the Fatip Number One spot. :letterk1:

No, not to me. The balance point is still about a third of the way down the handle like many other razors. It might be just slightly lower, like between a third and two fifths, but it's pretty negligible; I'd need a ruler to tell the difference. Ultimately, it ends up sitting in my hand right where I want it to, and it is SUPER agile with that grip point. I'm telling you, I was flying with it this week. Also, an added bonus is that that slightly bigger knob gives you a great place to rest on your pinky.
Thank you very much for your detail answer. You've helped to enable me to get this razor, especially with that Barberpole handle. LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom