Aftershave
Thayers Rose Petal WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10.

B3AA469A-32B5-4E5B-9767-5D2497F89B31.jpeg

SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, MARCH 3, 2021

This morning’s shave featured an all Japanese shaving tools focus, and represented a supportive shave for my good friend, Clint, on his first AS-D2 outing. In that spirit I grabbed my own AS-D2. The Seki Feather AS-D2 was one of the first stainless steel safety razors and represents an engineered design improvement over its predecessor, the AS-D1, an altogether too mild safety razor with an exaggerated negative blade exposure resulting in a very mild shave. The AS-D2 was one of, if not the first safety razor to be constructed of marine grade 316L stainless steel via a CNC process. There were other stainless steel CNC built razors at the time (cf original Tradere), but they represented the use of other stainless steel alloys for the most part.

This razor was designed for “riding the bar” and featured a very narrow sweet spot that promoted a much more acute shaving angle taking full advantage of the hyper sharp Feather DE blade it was engineered around. I have a relatively thick heavy whiskers and used my AS-D2 a year or so ago to reduce almost three weeks of whisker growth following a hospital stay. It took it down like a champ, leaving me dolphin smooth. It required no extensive buffing, only an experienced knowledge of its very narrow sweet spot. Those who dismiss it as a “mild” razor just never learned the proper angle to shave with it. This morning it effortlessly sheared away my dome stubble in my usual two ATG passes.

In keeping with my Japanese shaving tools theme I selected the Tanifuji Airi 11/16, the first Japanese straight razor in my humble collection. My son, Ben, a straight shaver of several decades experience, has a very large Japanese silver and Tamaghane steel straight razor collection (100+). He provided me with this first razor after honing it on his then newly complete jnat progression. It was my first whisker-melting, Japanese silver steel shave. I now own two others, and am on the hunt for others guided by my son’s expertise. This morning, after a quick refresh last night, this petite little gem blazed through my mug whiskers in three slow, delightful passes, leaving me clean and refreshed with that delightful velveteen, porcelain smooth skin feel result I seek in every shave I undertake.

RAZOR: Tanifuji Airi 11/16 (Mug), Feather AS-D2 Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

March 3, 2021

Had a fun time with a new (to me) razor. The PAA Alpha Ecliptic. This could easily become my dead-tired no-thinking-required razor. The humpback puts the blade at the correct angle and I just pull down on the handle without adding pressure. Gave me an easy 1 pass DFS with almost no blade feel. Still need to learn how to use it a little more effectively on my neck, but was a very easy shave on my face.
7985F27D-1448-4E99-9335-E37E6E407354.jpeg

Brush: Simpson Tulip 2 Super
Soap: B&M Cologne Russe
Razor: PAA Alpha Ecliptic
Blade: Wilkinson Sword ⚔️ (29)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Mar 3rd 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo .72 Stainless steel- MFG 2021> excellent mid range razor, easy carefree shave with good results.
Blade: Gillette Nacet (6) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood, excellent lather properties, nice scent.
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers 24mm, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips with excellent scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood with clove :001_wub: + a dollop of Nivea balm,
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my RR Lupo .72 + Gillette Nacet blade(tossed)
DE SOTD, Mar 3rd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

20210302_082539.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze SB .38
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
WEDNESDAY
3 March, 2021
______

Brush: H.I.S Synth
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavy Copper
Lather: Pre de Provence No. 63*
Razor: Mamba 70
Blade: Astra Green
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizer
Frag: Caron Yatagan
*Thanks to all who recommended this,
and who tipped me off to the Amazon sale.

Stay healthy, everyone!

SOTD-WR2-G_2021-03-03.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 head on a "Worlds Finest" handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)
ASL: Clubman Whiskey Woods

A lovely shave. :biggrin:

A new present arrived in the post today. A whole 50ml of Clubman Whiskey Woods after shave. I gave it my initial sniff test followed by a drop on the wrist sniffed half an hour later. The initial sniff (top note) was pleasant enough, but I couldn't describe it. The later sniff (base note) had me thinking. I was sure I knew that smell, but from a long time ago... blank. :001_rolle

Ten minutes later it hit me. Pledge furniture polish!
I'm pleased to say I quite liked that smell. Sitting here a couple of hours post-shave I'm really enjoying it; it blends with the shaving soap's Japanese Orange scent just great. (The things we do for science! :crazy:)

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom