What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" March 15th - March 21st, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, Mar 20th 2021

Razor: Gillette reg Flare SS tip B2- Mfg 1956 2qtr, mild razor, very carefree shave with a reg blade, good results with a Kai blade.
Blade: Kai SS (9) excellent blade, wider than a standard Gillette blade by .009" thousands of inch, Sharp & smooth, with great longevity. Great blade in milder razors or a person who just wants a boost in efficentcy and aggression.
Soap: Speick- nice mild spicy mild scent with excellent lather qualities for protection. Good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Red zebra handle 26mm, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my reg Flare tip with a Kai SS blade.
DE SOTD, Sat, Mar20th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
3E7F13E5-A500-4629-B2B0-63A91F2F4179.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, MARCH 20, 2021

Today I’m taking delivery of my second modern artisan razor. I’ll have more to say tomorrow morning after my shave with it. This morning I decided on a vintage - modern artisan pairing for my shave. The 1920s vintage Le Coq Cagehead, a safety razor again required constant attention as it sheared away my noggin stubble, but did leave me bloodless, and oh-so-smooth. For the mug shave, I selected my Rigarazor 15/16. I had confessed in some earlier posts to not being a particular fan of this razor, but remembered that I had repaired a chip on the edge. When I examined it under the USB microscope yesterday after stropping it, I noticed that the area around the repair appeared grainier than the rest of the edge. So I took it to the Naniwa 12k for a refresh, taking particular care to ensure a mirror bright bevel surface throughout the length of the edge, finishing with a final polish on the UF side of my jasper stone with just water until the blade was sticking nicely. And lo and behold, what a difference in the mug shave this morning! Three slow passes left me with a velveteen smooth mug. I feel clean, smooth and refreshed!

RAZOR: Rigarazor 15/16 (Mug), Le Coq Cagehead
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE Monster Aluminum Tuxedo Synth
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Balm.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
SATURDAY
20 March, 2021

______

Brush: Stirling Kong
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavy Copper
Lather: Stirling Island Man + Body Shop Maca Root cream + glycerin ("uber lather"*)
Razor: Oristo
Blade: Nacet
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizer
Frag: Bigelow Barber Elixir Black
*Haven't whipped this stuff up in a while.
Nice, but not necessarily any better
than each constituent individually.

And, of course, Happy Vernal Equinox!

Stay healthy, everyone!
Bill

20210320_160557-01.jpeg

SOTD (079/2021)
20-03-2021

>> The mysterious KAI blades <<

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue TSN 2020 LE Silvertip
Soap: Storybook Soapworks ~ Visions & Revisions
Razor: Mühle R41 Grande Stainless Steel
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany(4)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Nivea Sensitive psb.

First shave with the new introduced Mühle R41 GS.

The shave resulted in a flawless and ultra-close bbs shave (two passes wtg/atg) with no nicks and no drama.
Maybe it has been just coincidence (or the additional weight of the razor?) but I did not feel any tugging in the atg pass - which is what makes shaving with the standard R41 quite a fuss sometimes, even when the standard head is attached to a third party handle with additional weight. That absolutely didn't happen today. I will keep an eye on this.

Unsurprisingly the GS chopped down my whiskers without mercy but with ease.

Bottom line for the debut shave: up to this point I could not find any drawbacks with either the design or the the fit' n' finish. The shave result is just stunning. I really enjoyed the deput.

Last edited:
March 20, 2021

A monster of a brush arrived yesterday. Cleaned it last night and again this morning before taking it for a spin. The Chubby 3 Super is no joke. Truly an enveloping experience, like having a Badger 🦡 rubbing up on you like a house cat might (or so I imagine). Given that it took me a few minutes to clean it properly after the shave, this will have to be a brush saved for mornings when I have some extra time, but it made a very positive first impression. Paired with some favorite Captains Choice products and a Wunderbar and it all added up to a 2 pass BBS shave with no irritation, nicks, or cuts.

Brush: Simpson Chubby 3 Super
Cream: Captain’s Choice Nor’easter
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor: Razorock Wunderbar
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (46)
71343FFE-7452-4A67-9F08-355677D759FD.jpeg

Saturday's Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8 Full Hollow Spanish Point​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Elite Razor Poplar w/ 24 mm Plisson​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap​
Aftershave Splash: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Splash - Alcohol and Menthol Free​
Aftershave Balm: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Balm​

proxy.php
proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom