What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" June 29th - July 5th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFA77258-A958-4BB6-A7D4-95BE2B039766.jpeg

SOTD TUESDAY, JUNE 30, 2020

June of this year marks my reentry into straight razor shaving after almost a 5 year hiatus. Today’s shave was excellent. Handling my face shave with the Dovo has improved markedly, and for my dome shave I selected a spectacular little shaver, my Ronson Safety Razor.

I’d hesitated in acquiring this particular safety razor because of the reported blade issues. That is until one of my FB forum shave brothers shared his solution to the blade issue. His solution was to use an injector blade on one side and a corresponding injector blank from a blade magazine on the other. While a bit fiddly to set up, once done, the little razor shaves like a dream.

After my shower and cold water rinse, I loaded my 24mm Tuxedo synth knot ferrule onto the T-400 handle and whipped up an amazing amount of thick, slick and enhanced Nancy Boy lather. It felt delightfully cool. The Dovo Special made short work of my facial whiskers returning me to yesterday’s DFS shave level.. Rather than push things.

What I really love about the little Ronson is its weight, 76 grams, most of which resides in the head. What I most like about this little lady, is that I can hold it by the tip of the handle allowing the weight of the head to do all the work. Loaded with a Schick B-20 Proline blade, Madame Ronson shaved like a dream and delivered me directly to VBBS land in two (WTG, ATG) relaxed passes. I feel cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Dove Special (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Noggin)
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 w/ 24mm Tuxedo Synth Ferrule
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite.

Tuesday 30 June 2020

Unlike the old Bobby Goldsboro song, it wasn’t a hot afternoon on the last day of June here.

Still I had a new soap to try...

36AFBA22-83A5-4A30-951A-09970002943E.jpeg

Pre:Shower, Boots cucumber facial wash & facial scrub

Razor:Mühle “the rake” R41

Blade:Wilkinson Sword Classic (4)

Brush:Gentleman’s Face Care Club - synthetic

Soap:Goodfellas’ Smile Abysso

Post-shave:Proraso Rinfrescante Lotion & Rosa Impex Men’s Master Professional Tea Tree and Menthol Aftershave Balm

Rating: 10/10

The Abysso soap is another fine product from Goodfellas’ Smile, which I’ve been meaning to try for a while since my first venture with Sea Citrus, Inferno and Tallow No 1 last year. I used Chronos on Saturday just gone. I read on one site that Abysso is inspired by Cool Water. It is a nice acquatic, citrusy scent. Decided to bowl lather this one and got a damn good result too but these croaps are very easy to lather.

Enjoyed the rake/beast again too. No nicks, 3 pass shave.

Carbon Cx-Ti (++) & Gillette Silver Blue
APShaveCo. 28mm Silksmoke Summer
Stirling Margaritas in The Arctic shave soap
Stirling Margaritas in The Arctic Witch hazel
Stirling Margaritas in The Arctic a/s splash
Creed EROLFA Eau de Parfum

A million dollar shave. Period. A great evening and shaves to all....
B1D8B463-131C-4AB3-A329-AD59C1147809.jpeg

Something special happened today. I got a pretty good shave with Arko. It works better for me if I scrape off a bit and bowl lather. I did run it lightly across my face before bringing the brush up. For me I think Arko is a summer soap. It really dried my skin out in winter. To combat that, I applied Thayer's WH then moisturizer and then AS. Success!

A very nice 2 pass (both WTG) on 2 days growth.

Merkur 34c * Treet Platinum * Arko * Omega 636 silvertip * Fine bowl * Thayer's Lavender WH
Neutrogena Moisturizer * Brut AS * Brut cologne​
SOTD 20 6 30.jpg

Moisturizer.jpg

Tuesday Evening

‘59 Fatboy (set on 9)
Personna Lab (10)
Omega Boar
Tabac Stick
Proraso Red AS

I hadn’t used this razor for awhile.
It is still in mint condition and I inherited it from my late uncle’s estate. I use it occasionally as it offers variety to the routine. The blade is still cutting but I think it’s nearing the end of its usability. I will try for 2 more shaves with it.
BTW: Proraso Sandalwood AS lotion is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom