What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" June 22nd - June 28th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's another "FREE WEEK" ladies and gentlemen.

It's time to be creative.

Please feel free to post any photo, with any gear and any style you chose, or contribute by telling us what you used in your shave, with comments on the shave, if you desire.

Color, B&W, sepia or a photograph with any type of artistic touch you wish is always desired.

HAVE FUN!

Menthol Monday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: Hiram Commander
Blade: Feather Pro (D2)
Brush: Semogue Torga C5 Premium Boar 24mm
Bowl: Buffalo Horn 6”
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Butter: Mickey Lee Lime
Shave Soap: Maggard's Lime & Bergamot Iced
Balm: Luxx Jasmine Lime
Aftershave: Extro Cologne Italiana

Date:- 22 June 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Fourth & Pine
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'SB-D' / Polsilver SI #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)
Fragrance:- Burberry London for Men

Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Charcoal Goods Level-2 base plate, limited edition Victorian.
Blade: Euromax
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG_6956.jpg

Mon 22 SOTD
Cream Saponificio Bignoli Black Berry & Moss
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor Gillette Empire Goodwill
Blade Tatra Platinum 3rd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Nice lather with the cream. Mild scent and ok performance. Brush was very pleasant to use.
Continuing blade test with another 'challenging' vintage razor. Yesterday shave was extremely close and only realized this morning my usual stubble is barely felt. Anyway...proceeded as usual. Another good combo. Sharpish, comfortable and very smooth for WTG & XTG but kinda jumpy during ATG. Still...no issues. Quite close result but can't beat yesterday's RFB. Rating 9/10
20200622_064455.jpg

20200622_071933.jpg

A924ABBA-162A-4F2F-83EF-0D30C3D95F6D.jpeg

SOTD MONDAY, JUNE 22, 2020

Hope I’m not being blasphemous to you straight razor devotees, but stropping is a pain in the petoot! I get the whole back-to-the-roots, traditional, manly art thing, but frankly, I prefer picking up one of my many safety razors and just having at it! My Auto Strop and Streamline sets all contain strops, but it will be a cold day in Hades before I would ever use them! The argument about getting a closer shave with a straight razor is so much bushwah! My select group of 17 safety razors all deliver confident BBS shaves whenever desired.

So what’s the appeal? It must be mastering the skills to deliver a close shave while flirting with the potential danger of slicing up one’s face. The Kampfe Bro’s., King C. Gillette, and Henry Gaisman all became quite wealthy by offering men an alternative to this masochistic pursuit. So why do it? After seven decades, it’s overcoming my tremors through strapping three lb weights to each forearm. In my case, mastering this skill is something this great grandpa sees as a challenge, one both his SWMBO and neurologist are opposed to. Now all I have to do is figure out how to fit a powered polishing wheel into my den. FORTY STROKES EVERY MORNING BEFORE I BEGIN!!! PUHLEASE!!!! I HATE STROPPING!!!

Back to this morning’s shave! Two very slow, very careful mug passes (WTG, ATG) with the Dovo, left me with an almost DFS on the mug and a very minor weep under my Adam’s Apple which disappeared after the application of Humphreys WH. The SS Supply made very short work of the remaining facial stubble. In the past when shaving, I would lather up both mug and noggin for every pass. Since incorporating a straight razor into my routine lathering is done separately for mug and noggin. The Chel preshave is great stuff, and I won’t say anything more about my Nancy Boy products except to say that I'm about halfway through the shave cream. The Supply again completed my two pass noggin scrape with its usual aplomb, leaving your happy narrator clean, refreshed, cool, and velveteen! VBBS all the way!

RAZOR: Dovo Special and SS Supply Injector
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline
PREP: Cold water rinse and Chel Cooling Gel as a Preshave
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling After-Shave Gel.

This was my first time using TOBS! As a soft "croap," it was super simple to develop an excellent face lather with the backbone of that little Classic 1 Manchurian. The scent of this soap was quite subtle, but "clean" and nice, with a very comfortable lubricity on the face. It seemed neutral enough that I could use most any aftershave without conflicts.

I got a good shave with this combo and will likely return to this lineup for future shaves, the final result with Sharp Dressed man as the conclusion was a classy feeling shave all around.

Brush: Simpson Classic 1 Manchurian
Soap: TOBS Mr. Taylors
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (3rd Use)
After: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man splash

IMG_3524.jpg

Monday‌ ‌06.22.20 ‌SOTD‌

View attachment 1116254

Gillette Valet Auto/Strop Gold VC4
Feather Fhs-10 Hi-Stainless
Yaqi Moka Express 26mm 2-Band Badger
Barrister‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌
Old Spice Cologne Original

View attachment 1116255
Jim:
i don’t know about you, but I have the exact same razor, and it is hands down my best shaving vintage razor, next to my Shake Sharps. Henry Gaisman sure knew his business! The VC4 represents 4 decades of incremental design improvements! Gorgeous photo!

Monday
Pre-shave: Imperial Glycerine Soap/Stirling Executive Man Pre-shave Oil
Razor: Gillette Red-tip SuperSpeed
Blade: PermaSharp Super Stainless
Brush: Rooney 1/2 Best Badger
Soap: Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg
Aftershave: Alum/Quinn’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel/Booster Mosswood
Balm: Perricone MD Lightweight Moisturizer

IMG_2707.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG

Special Shave today,
I stropped up my great-grandfathers straight for its first use since before June 7, 1935 (the date he was killed). Great shave with one of my slims for cleanup.

Razor: Richards and Conover straight/ Gillette slim L4/7 O'clock
Soap: Barrister and Mann Cologne Russe
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
AS: Lucky Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom