Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: PermaSharp Super Stainless
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg
Aftershave: Alum/Quinn’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel/Booster Mosswood
Balm: Perricone MD Lightweight Moisturizer

B43D10B3-39DF-424F-9D5E-A6B4BB057031.jpeg

SOTD FRIDAY, JULY 10, 2020

Welcome to Wool Fat Friday my shave brothers and sisters. Last night I did something I thought I’d never do, and that’s strop a razor mor than 40 strokes. I still disliked it, but the 70 strokes really brought back the edge back to the Dovo Special. The razor finally shaved as it’s supposed to. I've discovered that my two Feather Barber’s razors are sharper than any of the straights I’ve used. But I still was able eke out a decent two pass (WTG, ATG) DFS.

I’ve decided to ship all three straights currently in my possession out for rehoning and edge checks. I recently swapped a fairly beat up Gillette Single Ring for a recently honed Genco 35 straight razor. Included in the deal are two new bottles of Osage Rub I’ll be adding to the den. My shave buddy and I are both happy with the swap. I’ll be shaving with the two Feather SS Barber’s razors until the Genco arrives.

For my dome shave I opened up the Rex Ambassador all the way. I really believe my straight razor experience has helped improve what I always thought waspretty decent safety razor shaving. It has to do with a greater appreciation for the zero pressure shave. I was a bit hesitant at first, as my usual Rex setting is 4.5. I began the head shave with fairly conservative strokes, but very quickly developed a greater sense of comfort, despite one minor set-down error in the back of thedome. The result was an incredibly close VBBS. I feel cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Dovo Special (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Suneko (1)
BRUSH: MrEE Aluminum Handled Hybrid Knot #007
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub w/ Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by HumphreysLilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Fine Accoutrements Platinum AS splash.

View attachment 1123950

Welcome to Wool Fat Friday my shave brothers and sisters. Last night I did something I thought I’d never do, and that’s strop a razor mor than 40 strokes. I still disliked it, but the 70 strokes really brought back the edge back to the Dovo Special. The razor finally shaved as it’s supposed to. I've discovered that my two Feather Barber’s razors are sharper than any of the straights I’ve used. But I still was able eke out a decent two pass (WTG, ATG) DFS.

I’ve decided to ship all three straights currently in my possession out for rehoning and edge checks. I recently swapped a fairly beat up Gillette Single Ring for a recently honed Genco 35 straight razor. Included in the deal are two new bottles of Osage Rub I’ll be adding to the den. My shave buddy and I are both happy with the swap. I’ll be shaving with the two Feather SS Barber’s razors until the Genco arrives.

For my dome shave I opened up the Rex Ambassador all the way. I really believe my straight razor experience has helped improve what I always thought waspretty decent safety razor shaving. It has to do with a greater appreciation for the zero pressure shave. I was a bit hesitant at first, as my usual Rex setting is 4.5. I began the head shave with fairly conservative strokes, but very quickly developed a greater sense of comfort, despite one minor set-down error in the back of thedome. The result was an incredibly close VBBS. I feel cool, clean and velveteen!

POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by HumphreysLilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Fine Accoutrements Platinum AS splash.

Good stuff! I recently purchased a new strop that is a bit more aggressive. It’s a WCS 3" Strop, Latigo Leather and Linen, Mahogany × 1 (from West Coast Shaving). 30 slow laps on that is easily the equivalent to 70 normal quick passes on the older smoother strop. I also find the “X stroke” made a dramatic difference compared to a straight pass. I tip my hat to you for the full dome usage :)
proxy.php

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]

Friday, 7/10:

20200710_101428.jpg

Razor - Asylum RX
Blade - Feather ProGuard
Brush - Oz Shaving "Polychrome" 24mm TGN Grade A silvertip
Soap - Catie's Bubbles Waterlyptus
A/S - Stirling Eucalyptus Mint / Brickell unscented balm

Ok, I was iffy on Waterlyptus at first, and yes, it kinda smells like medicine, but damnit if I haven't come around! It's a great hot weather scent IMO, and really cooling. It lathered up very nicely, and the ProGuard is still plenty sharp to deliver a wicked close, comfortable shave. The RX has really become a favorite of mine, especially with this blade; no pressure, let it glide, and it performs superbly. At some point I'll have to revisit the Feather Pro in it. Anyway, a fantastic shave, and it's Friday!

After two tiring weeks without shaving, my beard out of control and all, it was time for some relaxation and refreshment. I took out "the big guns" (R41 and a fresh Feather blade) expecting to hack myself to pieces and fully content with it but I got one of the best shaves ever : BBS and very comfortable. The blade did what it knows best : to mow hair mercilessly. Admittedly this was after a long and meticulous prep.
Muhle R41
Feather
Balea Men synthetic brush
Proraso Red sandalwood
Floid Black
IMG_20200710_200752.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
View attachment 1123950

Always a great narrative. Good to hear you didn't shed any blood.

SOTD

Pre- Liquid Neutrogena face wash & warm water
Razor- Merkur 34c
Blade- Treet Platinum (#3)
Cream- Proraso Red
Brush- Surrey boar
Bowl- Fine Accoutrements
Post- Neutrogena Moisturizer
AS- Old Spice
Cologne- Old Spice

Another really efficient shave with the Treet, from a sample pack. I'll be keeping this in rotation and will buy more down the line.
SOTD 20 7 10.jpg

Moisturizer.jpg

Good stuff! I recently purchased a new strop that is a bit more aggressive. It’s a WCS 3" Strop, Latigo Leather and Linen, Mahogany × 1 (from West Coast Shaving). 30 slow laps on that is easily the equivalent to 70 normal quick passes on the older smoother strop. I also find the “X stroke” made a dramatic difference compared to a straight pass. I tip my hat to you for the full dome usage :)
proxy.php

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]
Thanks, I’ve found that my safety razor shaves have improved a great deal since I’ve been an open edge shaver! You do develop a real appreciation for blade feel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom