Razor: Gillette - 1966 Slim Adjustable
Blade: Big Ben Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Semogue - Owner Club 24mm (Boar)
Pre-Shave: Schaf - Purifying Scrub
Lather: Squadron - Red Lead
Aftershave: Arsenal Grooming - Da’ Bomb

49813475-856F-478F-B982-4F1C5357D2C6.jpeg

Today’s shave was Da’ Bomb
I always enjoy coming back to my DE razors after my long stretches with SE type razors. A totally different kind of razor with a different kind of shave...and I do love my DEs dearly. I don’t know why, but I have a mental block about adjustable razors and tend to ignore them. I don’t know where it came from, because I always get a wonderful smooth shave from this “Slim”. I set it on ”7” on its first shave, and the dial has never changed.
Big Ben blades have been good to me.
This is the second usage for Red Lead since I got it. When it arrived, it seemed dried out and a bit chrystalized. The puck was shrunken and rattling around in jar. It seemed fine. The first usage I scraped some into a bowl and added water for a nice lather. I don’t usually face lather, but today I did, thinking that the puck could probably use the moisture. I chose my SOC boar just for the job.
The scent of “Red Lead” is listed as “old spice”, but at first sniff out of the jar there is a scent that I though smelled really bad. Not to fear! Once water is added that nasty smell disappears and becomes an intergal part of the scent makeup.

SOD Monday July 5, 2021
Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
Brush: Parker Synth Brush
Bowl: Shave Nation
Lather: Proraso White Soap (14)
Razor: Gillette 1959 E4 Settings:
Face WTG:3-XTG:2-ATG:1
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Balm: Proraso White

Have a great day!!
IMG_6761.jpg

20210214_080030.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Green Bakelite Travel set
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Proraso White Aftershave Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

SOTD, Monday, July 5th, 2021

Shower at gym + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
CBL Tonsorial Club shave soap stick
Trumper's badger brush
Filarmonica 6/8" straight razor
Cool washcloth rinse
Pinaud Clubman aftershave

Tracking Elsa, first storm threat of the season!

proxy.php

Hope everyone had a safe 4th of July..

Day 4 - Another Day Another Razor

F.W. Engels - How hard can it be to recondition a straight razor?

Ebay is worse than a crack dealer. E-mail, text messages, promotions.. but wait here was an F.W. Engels at less than half what I paid for my other one that I love... From the first one, I learned that shiny can also mean someone sanded and polished it to hide discoloration and pitting...

Blade looks good. BUT scales are warped to the point that the razor will not even close.. Badger & Blade to the rescue. Boiling water preferred method. Hair dryer or heat gun possibility with caution. Plenty of warnings from people worried about my health because they know the flash point of these older scales.. Yeah right. Who here hasn't thrown a styro
White Engels.jpg
foam cup into a camp fire..

The boil worked almost perfectly straightening the scales from severe warp to off center just enough that the blade touches the scales if not closed carefully. I'll just get that last bit with a hair dryer.

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.. Don't use a hiar dryer or heat gun for any reason. It's not flame or fumes to worry about. This stuff goes from perfect to melted with no warning. See those marks on the bottom? Fully functional razor but no longer something to be proud of.

Hmmm.. I've got experience working with wood. I'll make a new set of scales for this blade.

My goal is to shave one last time with at least 30 of my collection of misfits, rescues, and ugly razors. Then they all go up for sale so I can buy more to fix and customize.

20210705_173820-01-01.jpeg

SOTD #174/2021
05-07-2021

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue TSN 2020 LE Silvertip Badger
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Sandpiper
Razor: Karve CB Stainless Steel SB 'F'-plate
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (2)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap
~ Sandpiper AS & psb

Three smooth passes today, wtg/atg/atg. What an amazingly close shave. My skin feels velvety soft. No nicks or irritation.

Stunning!

Happy shaves, y'all!

Hi all. My first SOTD here. Started with the PAA Ice Tube, followed by Stirling Mountain Man soap, applied with a Stirling Lil Brudder brush, used a Razorock SS Lupo 72 with a new Astra Superior Platinum blade, and finished it off with some mentholated Stirling Mountain Man aftershave splash and matching beard oil.
20210705_081929.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom