What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" July 30th - August 5th, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD : 4th August 2018.

20.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Cool shower:/ L'OREAL~ Hydra Sensitive Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Transparent Lemon Flower Glycerine Soap./Bloom Water.

Brush: Omega ~11047 "Mixed Midget".

Bowl Lather.

Soap : Phoenix & Beau ~ Star Noir.

Blade: Personna~ Gem PTFE coated.(5)

Razor: Ever-Ready 1912. (USA)

Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade Lime, Lemon+Peppermint Oil & Menthol Crystals Witch Hazel Mixture./ Morrisons ~ Aloe Moisture Lotion.

Benjamins ~ Mentholated Bay Rum A/S Splash.

Greetings,

A new shave set up to start the bank holiday weekend..However i've had to go into work for half a shift, because of the coming bank holiday monday coming up..At least i don't have to work on monday..Yeah!

Maiden shave with the Phoenix & Beau Star Noir soap, first of the three P&B soaps along with a 5 pack of Shark Super Stainless blades that i won in a PIF on TSR (UK) kindly donated by one of the fellow member.The verdict?.Absolutetly superb!, i bloomed the soap for a few minutes in hot tap water and used the bloom water as a pre-shave,then loaded my brush up from the tub, and started to mix up a lather in my mixing bowl, adding small amounts of water until i got the consistancy that i like,one thing i will say "it's a thirsty soap",after a minute of so i had a wonderful slick protective lather for the shave,more than enough for the shave. It's scent, to my nose is mixture of spice, musk & citrus a wonderful nostalgic mature fragrance, that isn't "full on"in your face but lingers nicely throughout the shave and beyond..All in all, a fantastic soap, which was a pleasure to shave with, leaving a excellent post shave feeling to my face, what more can i say, except thanks again to to a fellow member of TSR (UK) for giving me the chance to experience this wonderful soap,i look forward to trying out the other P&B soaps in my future SOTD's. Your a true gentleman, like most of the members on TSR shaving forum.

Second outing of the Omega mixed midget brush, which performed superbly, only 4 hairs falling out of the brush throughout the full shave.The Gem PTFE blade excelled itself, still performing with smooth efficiency on its 5th and final outing..I won't push it for another shave,even though it would possibly be ok, if a blade can give me 5 sublime shaves,then i can't ask for anymore.

A very comfortable 3 pass BBS shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off in old school style with a generous splash of benjamins ~ mentholated bay rum a/s splash.

My face is feeling smooth, & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy the start of the long weekend, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

2018-08-04

Ikea bowl ¤ Semogue Owners Club boar/badger, ash ¤ 6/8" Original Schultze
Proraso Sandalwood soap ¤ Proraso Sandalwood ASL ¤ Escentric Molecule 01

proxy.php

Saturday SOTD

Gillette Single Ring
Wilkinson Sword Classic (3)
TOBS Avocado
Vie-Long BGS2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse
Aqua Velva Ice Blue​

Saturday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling City Slicker sample
Soap: Reef Point Submariner
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Green Super Stainless (6)
Brush: John’s Brushes Silvertip-22mmx48mm
Aftershave: Reef Point Submariner

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Reef Point Submariner today. 20 seconds to load the John’s Brushes Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Gillette 7 O’Clock Green Super Stainless still in the Gillette Slim. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Reef Point Submariner aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

SOTD, Saturday, August 4th, 2018

Shower at gym + Edge Gel face lather and rinse
The Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp shave cream and aftershave
AOS badger brush
Kai folding straight razor + Feather Proguard blade for first pass
Karve safety razor + Gillette Nacet blade for cleanup

proxy.php

SOTD - Saturday 04 August 2018

proxy.php

• Safety Razor: Karve Shaving - Christopher Bradley - 3.5 inch / D-plate
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: El Druida - Vimocca - 25mm Fan (High Mountain White)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Alder Wooden Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Tundra Artica - Beta 4.1
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Tundra Artica - Balm

Gem Bullet tip
Treet carbon blade 4th
Yaqi Mew brown
Vitos tobacco cream

Alovera gel
3P post shave cream
Vitos tobacco AS

IMG_20180804_144510047_HDR~3.jpg

Sotd 080418
Straight Angelo Murru Damascus 9/8
PantaRei PureWood Black Ebony 28mm Mustang knot
Soap Khalifa A&E
Aftershave Khalifa A&E
proxy.php

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

proxy.php

Ok, the Rockwell/Astra combo is rocking my shaving world, producing a shockingly close shave with only a little bloodletting, so the inquiring mind has asked, "Is it the blade, the razor, or both?"

Since the science isn't settled, I tossed the old Astra and loaded a Rockwell Swedish Steel blade into the razor, whipped up some high quality lather, and pulled the trigger on a classic two pass Saturday morning shave.

The soap is Barrister and Mann's First Snow, a seasonal soap that produces a huge, slick lather perfect for this test. Soap quality variable scientifically controlled.

The brush is a high quality two band badger, perfect for lathering and application to my leathery face. Brush variable scientifically controlled.

The variable here is the blade. The technique is the same: two careful passes, followed by any needed touchup with the remaining lather. The razor is the same. The lather is of the same quality. It's the edge that's different.

And in the end, it is in fact the edge that is where the action happens. Where energy, matter, physics, and technique come together to achieve a result consciously desired by a higher intelligence - me!

So, the result.

The shave is completed, the face has dried and recovered from the contest between woody whiskers, leathery hide, and a glittering edge wielded by a focused and determined wet shaver.

Cheeks: super smooth. A dolphin would be jealous.

Jawline: Good, but I can feel a subtle roughness when brushing my hand against the grain in one spot.

Underchin: A tough spot, but the result is great. There's one small area that still has a roughness, but that's probably caused by a touchup miss.

Jowls: The rubbery part. Good result, but a little bloodier than I like to tolerate. Again, I can feel some post shave roughness when going against the grain here and there. A third pass would normally be called for to address this, but since the cut is already too close, maybe a change in technique would solve the problem. I wouldn't want to ooze anymore blood out of this area than I'm already oozing, and a third pass would only make the shave a reddish mess.

Errata: Somehow, I nicked the back of my left hand during this process. I'm right handed, so somehow in all the swiping and gesturing I cut a quarter inch line just below the knuckle line with a safely razor. How that could even happen is a mystery. Maybe I should fire up the GoPro and film the next shave to figure out the answer.

Errata Errata: This Noble Otter Lone Star aftershave is great. I can't describe it correctly, but it's the polar opposite of the normal fruity/citrus juice I normally prefer. Leather from an old sweaty saddle would be the best description.

Conclusion: A high quality shave, but not quite the match to the Astra blade. However, this difference could be caused by a slight difference in technique, or even attitude and/or patience level during the shave. The fact that I managed to nick the back of my hand makes me suspicious I didn't take my time like I should have. I'll need to do five or ten more shaves to better determine the truth.

Repeatability. Classic science.

Shave OTD 4 Aug 2018.jpg C&E Sweet Almond Oil, Pashana AS, Gillette Old Type Head/WCS Walnut Handle, Polsilever SI, 2006 B&B LE, Dirty Bird Pottery Scuttle

Went with the gateway cream that sucked me in and is now unobtainium. 2 passes each on my head and face-smoooooth!

marty

Tuesday.
Prep: Hot towel
Pre shave: Prep
Razor: Weber ARC
Blade: Permasharp
Brush: 'The Duke' (Duke 3 Best)
Soap: Local Gent ‘Kona Colada’
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / L'Occitane Cade After Shave Balm

An outstanding shave, with ‘Kona Colada’ laying it down for the awesome Weber/Permasharp combo.. ooh yeah!!

Thursday.
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush: Rough,No Name Boar
Soap: Soapy Science ‘MINT MINT’
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / The Sudsy Soapery: Lavender & Peppermint Aftershave Splash

a no nonsense shave with ‘MINT MINT’ laying the foundations ... so good, they named it twice!

Saturday.
Razor: ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S – #3)
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra
Brush: 'Mama Chub' (Chubby 2 Two Band)
Soap: Barrister & Mann: Leviathan
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Tallow + Steel: Dark Aftershave
Fragrance: Arabian Oud MUKHALLAT DEWAN AL SHARQ...

an amazing shave with ‘The Rock’ / Gillette Bleue Extra / Leviathan setup, finished off with Dark Aftershave, and Arabian Oud MUKHALLAT DEWAN AL SHARQ...

Barrister's Reserve | Seville in Reserve
Kent V8
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Schick Plus Platinum PTFE
Barrister and Mann | Seville

proxy.php

Sunday SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: GEM Junior Bar\Elite Razor Brown Swirl
Blade: Gem PTFE SS (D4)
Brush: MS Faux Horn Memphis 24mm 2 band
Bowl: Buffalo Horn 6”
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime