What's new

SOTD Free Week July 27 - August 2 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI! Shave #44:
IMG_20200801_220822.jpg

Pre: hot water, homemade olive oil soap.
Lather: Wickham Soap 1912 "MAGNUM" sample.
Brush: CRV Barber Pole Fireworks.
Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE Gentile + El Druida "Pils".
Blade: Derby Extra (#2).
Take care and have a nice day!

Date:- 02 August 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Squadron ~ Group Captain's Blend
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacet #7
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

Razor: WCS Handle with DE89 head
Blade: First try with the Bic Chrome Platinum, this Blade did not work for me. Switched to a GSB (also first time using) wow, much better blade for me at least.
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Soap: Superlather of Captain’s Choice Nor’easter with Proraso Green
A/S: Captain’s Choice Nor’easter
Have a great day y’all!
41B2BBD8-AA81-4B5D-B443-583520CC2247.jpeg

Sunday Afternoon SOTD - A Leisure pampering shave!

Pre Shave
- Hot towel wrap/SPA on face followed by Pink Woolf Oudh & Sandalwood pre shave oil
Shaving Soap - Pink Woolf Oceanic Blue shaving soap
Shaving Brush - Hajamat Ash Wood handle synthetic shaving brush (put to final test today for face lathering)
Blade - Astra Superior Platinum (4th use)
Razor - Parker 89R
Aftershave - Alum block followed by Davidoff Cool Water aftershave balm

Today being a holiday I shaved after my shower and took a good 55 minutes to complete my two and a half pass shave! I started with a hot towel wrap (or shall I say SPA?) on my face for a good 15 minutes that made my coarse whiskers soft.

Today was a test of my recently bought Hajamat wooden handle synthetic shaving brush. The last shave with this brush was on Wednesday which was a rough one as this brush did not help create a good lather on second pass while doing face lathering! Before putting the blame entirely on the brush and discarding it away thought of doing one final test today by doing face lathering (the brush does a great job in bowl lathering though).

The only thing that I did differently was I did not soak the brush in hot water for 5 minutes unlike on Wednesday and Man! Probably that was where I had gone wrong earlier as the bristles of this brush are already super soft. Today I started creating lather with the brush post running it under hot water for around 30 seconds and then rinsing it off and not only did it creat a dense lather for the first pass it did cushion my face well in the second pass as well thereby proving me wrong!

Overall a good shave today! Astra SP on 4th use with an aggressive razor surprised me, the glide was very smooth and barring a couple of minor nicks (pressed the razor little too much during third pass) the shave was BBS. I will discard the blades post today’s use and will only use them for touch ups in subsequent shaves before discarding them completely. However with today’s shave I feel there is at least 1 more shave left in the blade!

Pink Woolf products are really nice and I encourage all fellow members from India to try them. The oceanic blue shaving soap has a different oceanic note and a mesmerising aroma that takes you to a ride to paradise while shaving. Davidoff cool water post shave balm complements the shaving soap really well.

Good leisurely shave that could have been better had I been able to avoid those 2 minor nicks on neckline! Next shave on Tuesday which will be an extra cautious one as will be shaving on Wednesday as well!

Thank you 🙏🏽
C30DB8A8-F211-4F86-BBF6-FE362D9E6DD5.jpeg
DFB26EAB-7A29-433B-94C9-3B351B0C71AB.jpeg
7CA2109B-B5F6-47E2-A7BB-974C9F2F6A32.jpeg

Sun 2 Aug Island SOTD
Soap Catie's Bubbles Ocean Grove
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade Elios Inoxidable 2nd
Aftershave Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Fitting soap for the occasion. Acceptable lather, scent and slickness. Nice brush for face lathering.
Shave with razor and blade combo was very comfortable. Sharp and smooth. 3+1 multiple passes without any issues. Between bbs and dfs. Good aftershaves! 9.5/10 rating.
Side note: Really liking this blade...
20200802_173300.jpg

proxy.php

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club LE 2012 Mixed Badger/Boar
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna P74 (8)
Scent: B&M Leviathan EdT

The very fougère-influenced shave. The Crann Bethadh is a very fresh outdoors style fougère, whilst the Lavande Violette splash is a darker and more exotic variant.
Knize Forest is quite unique - pine dominant, but certainly not one dimensional.
The vintage P74 blade is still shaving beautifully on its 8th outing.

SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, AUGUST 2, 2020

Well it’s Day 2 of “Aurum-inspired” August and my shave today featured two golden tools, the head of my Shake Sharp Model 1.5 and the gold lettering on the blade of my evil Dovo Special! The Dovo was definitely sharper than it had been thanks to the ministrations of my son’s sharpening toys. He even pulled out a loop to demonstrate the “mirror” sheen on the edge he’d created for me. I’m still convinced, however, that it's out to get me. I may require a razor exorcism in the future. I still have no idea what straight shavers, like my son, are referring to when they describe a straight razor’s edge as ‘buttery’ or like ‘velvet’. It’s just scary sharp to me.

Thankfully, it was another great mug shave, due to my trusty Shake Sharp! Despite my old nemesis, the Dovo’s, attempts to bite me, I persevered, and with great trepidation, finished the Mug shave with the usual unsatisfactory three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) DFS. Fortunately, my trusty Shake Sharp rushed to the rescue shearing away the resistant facial stubble, and in its usual effortless manner opening the door to velveteen facial bliss! My two pass (WTG, ATG) Dome shave was a joy, after the fear and anxiety of the mug straight shave, delivering your grateful narrator directly to MWF paved velveteen happiness with another VBBS. I feel velveteen smooth, clean and cool!

RAZOR: Dovo Special (Mug), Shake Sharp Model 1.5 (Dome)
BLADE: Stacked Suneko DEs (4)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Hybrid Knot
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

E6531C25-0627-4E2B-B5F9-E507C80F8D1D.jpeg

Sunday shave BW2.jpg

Sunday’s Shave

Today’s shave is with GD Mallard RC Soap. I am at the end of this soap. This time I am using my Paladin PK 47 brush – the first Paladin brush I got at the Sue Auction. The razor is Gillette Red Tip razor with a Lord SS blade. The aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom