What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" July 1st - July 7th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shave of the day:

1. Double-edge razor purchased on Madeleine Island, Wisconsin, from a woodcrafter whose business is named "The Wooden Rose." (If I recall correctly, he lives in or near Cornucopia, Wisconsin.) He turned the razor handle and installed it on a kit frame. The head is the most comfortable that I've ever used. I have a couple dozen double-edge razors, with Gillettes dating back to the 1920s. This razor is hands-down my favorite. I bought it last October, and he included with the razor a no-name blade. My family and I were staying at a place in northern Wisconsin, and I had taken only a cartridge razor with me. The next morning after purchasing the razor, I installed the no-name blade and gave it a whirl, assuming that it would be at best a mediocre shave. I was stunned at how comfortable it was--and it remains comfortable. I used to rotate my razor usage, going with a different one each week. Now I almost always use this one. That head is superb.

2. Rapira Platinum Deluxe blade: cheap and excellent.

3. Vintage boar-bristle brush: it gets the job done.

4. I think that's an Art of Shaving sandalwood puck in a Crabtree & Evelyn bowl.

5. Old Spice.

I took the photo with a Sinar F1, which is a 4x5 monorail view camera, with a Nikkor-W 135mm lens at f/32, using Ilford Harman Direct Positive Paper. This is a photo paper that is exposed in-camera, as opposed to under an enlarger.

The paper is very slow: ISO 1-3, or thereabouts. Assuming an ISO rating of 1.5, my meter gave me an exposure of about three and a half minutes; I took one shot at that speed and then a second (this one) at four minutes and twenty seconds. I developed it in Sprint paper developer and scanned the image.

The paper tends to barrel, especially after developing. This print barreled very badly, and it doesn't want to lie flat on the scanner bed. The edges of the print are thus a little shinier than they should be . . .

The camera at the back is a Busch Pressman, which also shoots 4x5 film. It's sitting on a copy of Ansel Adams's classic book The Negative--somewhat ironically, as no negative was created to make this old-school print!

Beautiful entry! Thanks for sharing!

Greetings from Santa Rosa, CA

SOTD - 2019.7.4
Growth: 24h
Pre: Cold shower, blooming water.
Brush: Razorock Bruce
Soap: Eufros Vertiver
Razor: Viking blades Emperor
Blade: Feather (#3)
Passes: 2 - WTG (4.5), XTG (2.5)
Rating: 4.5/5 - Excelente
proxy.php

First time using Eufros Vertiver. Just like all his line up: brilliant, slick and super smooth. On today’s shave I moved on from my usual Semogue and loaded too much water. Nothing that loading more a bit mote soap couldn’t fix.
Overall a great shave, virtually no feedback from the alum block.

Greetings from Santa Rosa, CA

• Pre: Purell Healthy Soap Cucumber
  • Soap: Truefitt & Hill Number 10
  • Brush: Shavemec Badger, maybe Finest.
  • Razor: Rockwell 2C -- R1 plate
  • Blade: Derby
  • Aftershave: Nivea Cooling Post Shave Balm Sensitive
Used less than 1 teaspoon Ball citric acid to soften water. I'm canning now! Water feels slippery, maybe too slippery. T&H lathers better. Probably used too much citric acid as the razor is really slippery, even with excellent knurling. There IS less soap scum. Some of the previous deposits may have washed off. Yay.

TGIF SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Timeless Razor OC
Blade: SuperMax SP Tiger (D12)
Brush Korn D7-XLT Romera Manchurian 26mm
Bowl: Symmetrical Sheet Metal
Pre-Shave Scrub: Ginger Garden Enigma
Pre-Shave Balm: Grooming Dept Mandarin and Cardamom
Shave Soap: PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu
Balm: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Vespers

Night shave cause family holiday reasons:

proxy.php

Oleo Soapworks 11...this is a great warmer scent to me, I smell vanilla, some musk, some Tonka bean, but not as warm as a vanilla sandalwood, there's something sharper here on the top notes. Good lather, GREAT scent. Top performer. Felt like a warmer AS, Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood fit the bill. Found a Super Max Blue Diamond with 1 shave on it in another razor, immediately appropriated it for the Timeless .95SB. Perfect DFS, dig it. TNS Green Machine, 24mm Fanchurian killed it.

Date:- 05 July 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wickham 1912 ~ English Rose
Razor/Blade:- Razorock Mission / Polsilver Super Iridium #7
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tabac

Prep: Cold water
Brush: Declaration Grooming B7 & Wolf and Whiskers Illiad
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Settantesimo Anniversario (70th Anniversary)
Razor: J. A. Henckels Friodur 78 1/2
Fragrance: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe Eau de Parfum

Same soap for a couple of days because it's so freaking nice.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0003 - Edited.jpg

EJ DE89 RR HD Handle / Astra SP (1) / Semogue Owners Club Boar Cherry Wood / Barrister and Mann Cheshire​

Shave of the day:

1. Double-edge razor purchased on Madeleine Island, Wisconsin, from a woodcrafter whose business is named "The Wooden Rose." (If I recall correctly, he lives in or near Cornucopia, Wisconsin.) He turned the razor handle and installed it on a kit frame. The head is the most comfortable that I've ever used. I have a couple dozen double-edge razors, with Gillettes dating back to the 1920s. This razor is hands-down my favorite. I bought it last October, and he included with the razor a no-name blade. My family and I were staying at a place in northern Wisconsin, and I had taken only a cartridge razor with me. The next morning after purchasing the razor, I installed the no-name blade and gave it a whirl, assuming that it would be at best a mediocre shave. I was stunned at how comfortable it was--and it remains comfortable. I used to rotate my razor usage, going with a different one each week. Now I almost always use this one. That head is superb.

2. Rapira Platinum Deluxe blade: cheap and excellent.

3. Vintage boar-bristle brush: it gets the job done.

4. I think that's an Art of Shaving sandalwood puck in a Crabtree & Evelyn bowl.

5. Old Spice.

I took the photo with a Sinar F1, which is a 4x5 monorail view camera, with a Nikkor-W 135mm lens at f/32, using Ilford Harman Direct Positive Paper. This is a photo paper that is exposed in-camera, as opposed to under an enlarger.

The paper is very slow: ISO 1-3, or thereabouts. Assuming an ISO rating of 1.5, my meter gave me an exposure of about three and a half minutes; I took one shot at that speed and then a second (this one) at four minutes and twenty seconds. I developed it in Sprint paper developer and scanned the image.

The paper tends to barrel, especially after developing. This print barreled very badly, and it doesn't want to lie flat on the scanner bed. The edges of the print are thus a little shinier than they should be . . .

The camera at the back is a Busch Pressman, which also shoots 4x5 film. It's sitting on a copy of Ansel Adams's classic book The Negative--somewhat ironically, as no negative was created to make this old-school print!

Great shot / excellent post!

5 July 19
Razor:
RazoRock SLOC
Blade: Derby extra (4)
Brush: 24mm SynBad w/Ruby ripple handle ApShaveCo
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Stirling Glacial Spearmint - face lather
Aftershave: Osage Rub / Lucky Tiger menthol cream
Additional Care: Thayer’s / Jack Shave spritz
IMG_20190705_061706.jpg

SOTD
The New Schick Injector Razor
Chick blade
Doug Korn’s Workshop “Button Bottom” Boar Brush
Cella SS
Witch Hazel and Gold Bond lotion
proxy.php

iKon B1 Standard Tech
Astra Superior Platinum
Red Lead Basil Lime Shave Soap
Phoenix Shaving Starcraft Synthetic Brush
PAA Mysterium Serum Balm
Old Spice Cologne

Friday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Soap: Coate’s Almond Cream
Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
Blade: Personna Med Prep (10)
Brush: John’s Brushes Silvertip-22mmx48mm
Aftershave: Bulgari Blu

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Coate’s Almond Cream today. 10 seconds to load the John’s Brushes Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Personna Med Prep still in the Gillette NEW Short Comb. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Bulgari Blu aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Movie Night SOTD
Barrister and Mann | Night Music
Leo Frilot Captain Marvel | AP Shave Co. Cashmere 30mm
Durham-Enders | Enders Speed Shaver
Schick Proline B-20

proxy.php

SOTD
HEAD and FACE

Timeless Titanium .95OC
Astra SP x1
Simpson's Chubby 2 Super Badger
PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa
Captain's Choice ceramic bowl
20190705_081018.jpg

Meant to post this yesterday

Timeless Razor
Voskhod Blade
TSE pre shave oil
Soap Commander "Wisdom" peppermint and lavender shave soap
Turn N Shave custom brush with 26mm tuxedo knot
Cactus fire pottery shave bowl
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Meant to post this yesterday

Timeless Razor
Voskhod Blade
TSE pre shave oil
Soap Commander "Wisdom" peppermint and lavender shave soap
Turn N Shave custom brush with 26mm tuxedo knot
Cactus fire pottery shave bowl
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That's a good looking bowl! Nice kit.

Friday
Pre-shave: Brickell Renewing Face Scrub/Baxter Shave Tonic
Razor: Gillette Black Handle SuperSpeed
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Red)
Brush: WSP High Mountain White
Soap: Kiss My Face Cool Mint Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum/ Ursa Major Face Tonic/TOBS No. 74
Moisturizer: Nivea Revitalizing Lotion

proxy.php

Pre-Shave: Kiss my Face Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Razorock Baby Smooth Ti
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Maseto 2-band Finest
Lather: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom