What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" July 19th - July 25th, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
63E9B98C-87DF-435B-A22B-89D44C9D7FA3.jpeg

SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, JULY 22, 2021

This morning was my first shave with the slickly marketed Tedalus shavette. It arrived this past Tuesday, six days after I ordered it. The fit, finish, and packaging is what one would expect given its price. I do admit to having a devil of a time loading the dang thing. The magnetic closure is innovative, but quite fiddly to operate for this old geezer the first time. For whatever reason, when I tried to swap the Feather Super from my Colonial General V2 into the Tedalus, it refused to close easily and wasn’t sitting evenly, possibly because of soap scum residue. I remembered that my friend, Bill, who’s a big fan of Tedalus, and has made a few videos featuring this razor really liked a Feather Proguard in his. My oldest grandson had left a Proguard magazine here from his last visit. So I grabbed one, and after a few tries managed to get it to sit evenly.

After building my preferred MWF mug lather with the Viking Silvertip Badger, I grabbed the Tedalus and had at it. The razor is nicely balanced in the hand and shaves as advertised. It felt very much like I was shaving with one of my regular straight razors. That first WTG mug pass went smoothly and was followed by uneventful ATG and XTG shaves. The tail is a bit longer than I’m used too, but the jimping is well done both above and below the pivot pin promoting a solid non-slip hold. The scale and blade design is clearly not traditional vintage, but contemporary without going to the artistic curlicue extremes of some of the younger modern makers, but then again, as a retired engineer I prefer form to fit function. And this razor met those prerequisites, and left my mug porcelain smooth.

After observing a few friends on the 30DC shaving with their French Famex adjustable Cagehead safety razors, I grabbed mine for this morning’s noggin shave. Famex made both safety and straight razors. LeCoq’s Cagehead design in the twenties set it apart from Gillette, but was clearly influenced by the Damaskeene razor head. The problem was that LeCoq’s Cagehead was fixed. Famex set out to remedy this by inverting the cage, thus allowing blade angle to be shifted simply by twisting the razor handle. I’ll admit that I enjoy both designs, but Cagehead safety razors do require very consistent hold technique. The second thicker MWF dome lather I generated for the second shave of the morning provided the perfect protective carpet for my noggin. The Famex dome shave went swimmingly after two ATG passes, leaving me cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Tedalus Shavette (Mug), Famex (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Proguard AC
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

SOD Thursday July 22, 2021
Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
I added a second across the grain pass to my headshave with amazing results!

Brush: Parker Synth Brush
Bowl: Shave Nation
Lather: Proraso Green (20)
Razor: Gillette 1959 E4 Settings:
Face WTG:3-XTG:2-ATG:1
Head WTG:5-XTG:4-ATG:3
Head WTG:5-XTG:4-XTG:4-ATG:3
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Balm: Proraso Green

Have a great day!
IMG_7037.jpg

_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Cartoon_Photo_cartoon1626899313693.jpg

Today is the actual anniversary date of the Micromatic Monday thread and to commorate this event I have chosen this well worn bullettip. It shows a lifetime of wear, yet the TTO mechanism works perfectly. The safety bar shows some erosion, but this does not affect the shave. It can still provide many years of great shaves. It is truly a gem of a razor!

Razor: Gem Micromatic Gold Flying Wing Guiding Eye
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Herkese sıhhatler olsun.. Have a nice shave all you..
Günün tıraşı.. Shave of the day..

Razor: Mühle Rocca R96
Blade: Feather New Hi-Stainless
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Black Handle Yellow Synthetic Hair Knot Wet Shaving Brush
Soap: Pearl Man Shaver’s Spirit Shaving Soap
AS: Rebul 125th Year Limited Edition Azur Eau de Cologne, Organique After Shave Face Balm

insta: 40tansonrashaving

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

21-7-2021

Agua y jabón :: Monsavon :: Yaqi Moka :: Wolfman, Feather :: Floïd, Mentolado vigoroso

proxy.php

22-7-2021

Agua y jabón :: Proraso :: Rubberset 400 :: Tatara Muramasa, Feather :: Floïd, Mentolado vigoroso, vintage edition

proxy.php

Salut!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Thursday, July 22, 2021.
Geo F Trumpers, Coral skin food, pre shave. Esbjerg: Shaving soap & gel aftershave. Zen shaving: Pink Baltic Birch Laminate shaving brush. Double Cuckoo 255, carbon steel 6/8. Santa Maria Novella, Oficina profumo, Adqua di colonia Melograno.
proxy.php

Day 16 - Another Day Another Razor

Wade and Butcher Medium Size - How about a barber's notch?

In search of a razor that I might stop poking my ear lobe... I came across this barber's notch. I've always wanted to try a WB anyway...

The razor really didn't need "rescuing" but does have etching on the face. Keeping with my philosophy of "save the blade leave the warts", this one got several polishes but nothing more. I was suspicious when the bevel looked factory new but the spine had normal but imperfect wear. Someone very talented made it look pretty but not sharp enough to shave with.

A proper hone put a nice edge on the blade leaving the very ends imperfect. No reason to wear down the majority of the blade just to sharpen the curved ends.

Strictly personal preference, but the shave was just mediocre. I shaved one more time with it just to make sure I wasn't missing anything...Nope, I'm still in the hunt for the right blade geometry.
WBMidSizeCrop.JPG

My goal is to shave one last time with at least 30 of my collection of misfits, rescues, and ugly razors. Then they all go up for sale so I can buy more to fix and customize.

SOTD-L-R_2021-07-22.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Bignoli Liquirizia e Menta
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 95 GT Special
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (7)
ASL: Spearmint BLAST [home brew]

A good refreshing shave. :biggrin:
As much as I love my TFS soaps, I'm tempted to get another Bignoli (really nice stuff)... in a less polarizing scent.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Today is
THURSDAY
22 July, 2021

______

Pre: Noxzema
Gel: Elegance Plus "Jupiter"
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Astra blue
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizer