What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" July 13th - July 19th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
71D5C9B3-EF89-48FF-A510-EF9BEA1E3954.jpeg

SOTD JULY 14, 2020

Welcome to Tabac Tuesday. Today was the inaugural shave with the new-to-me Genco 35. The fellow who swapped with me claimed he had honed this vintage razor after restoring it with a series of progressive hones all the way to 12,000 grit. Well it was certainly sharp enough. The two pass (WTG, ATG) mug shave went well with one slight weeper during the second pass just below the Adam’s Apple which disappeared upon WH application. I’ve learned that a thinner, slippery lather seems to work best for me with a straight razor, and that was certainly the case this morning. The result was another DFS++.

I spent more time building my dome lather into the thick, yogurty consistency preferred with my safety razors. The razor for my dome shave was my 2011 R41 which I have sitting on my spare Occam’s DE handle. This razor was initially intimidating given its reputation for efficiency, until I began using it regularly. In actuality, my Barbasol FH is probably a tad bit more efficient. In any case, the R41 made short work of my dome stubble, mowing everything right down to the skin line, in the process leaving a few remaining rough areas in the usual valleys on the back of the noggin. Some selective buffing eradicated that problem and left me cool, refreshed, clean and oh so velveteen (VBBS).

RAZOR: Genco 35 (Mug), Muhle R41 (2011)
BLADE: Suneko (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 w/ 26mm Boar Knot
SOAP: Tabac w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub and Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
MONDAY,14 July 2020

Pre: Elegance Plus gel
Brush: H.I.S 25mm Synth
Lather: Stirling Lime Coconut
Bowl: Silicone dog feeder
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70 Special
Blade: Derby USTA (8)
Alum: Gentleman's Barber Supply
Splash: Pinaud Lime Sec w/added menthol

Figured I'd take a few days off,
see what color the beard is.
My hair's still there, and it's still light brown.
But the whiskers came in snow white.
Lathered up immediately!

Stay healthy, everyone!

Tuesdays shave sink.jpg

Today I went with GD Amare. I used a Shavemac 177 Silvertip brush I picked up some time ago at the Sue Auction. This was my first Shavemac brush. The brush does a superb job of making lather. I am using my Timeless SS SB .68 razor with the same Personna Lab blade for the 15th excellent shave. I am pleasantly surprised how many quality shaves I have gotten with the razor-blade combo. A four-pass shave. My aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by some L'Occtaine ASB. This ASB has turned out to be my favorite: very soothing. After a shower some TOBS Sandalwood Cologne which replaced my GFT of the same flavor.

Tuesday, 7/14:

20200714_091346.jpg

Razor - Colonial Silversmith
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Brush - Drake/Darwin 24mm 2-band badger
Soap - Oleo Soapworks 40
A/S - Supply Arenella Coast

Wow is this razor smooth. Still can't get over it. I'd say it doesn't shave me quite as close as some other razors, but it's still a very good, very close shave and it feels unbelievable. The handle I'm sort of getting used to, but it's not ungainly, just new to me. I've come around on handles before. This is an incredibly comfortable razor, and the blade and soap pairing lent itself to a ridiculously easy glide. My face felt terrific afterwards. Gonna be fun to use.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tue, July 14 2020

Razor: Gillette New Long open comb Canadian variant- Mfg 1930's- upper mid range+ excellent razor.
Blade: Gillette 7oClock (black) super platinum (5) one of my favorites.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- great lather qualities & manly scent that has been discontinued !:crying:
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 24mm synthetic - great lathering brush, closest to a broke in boar brush without scritch.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + 1 weeper= Excellent shave with my Gillette New long comb 1930's Canadian variant.
DE SOTD , Tue, July 14 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

SOTD, Monday, July 13th, 2020

Shower + Ach Brito Glyce face lather and rinse
Taylor of Old Bond St. Royal Forest shave cream
TOBS branded badger brush
Karve safety razor + Gillette Nacet blade
Cool washcloth rinse
Royall Vetiver cologne

proxy.php

Wow! What a beautiful looking razor....!! Been looking at various high-end razors and somehow this Karve Bronze is best looking and I'll bet it shaves as well...

SOTD
A Ken Powell razor 8/8+ smiling razor in best Saito SK1 style. Dressed in muskox horn scales that are semi translucent. Brush is a wonderful 30mm Panta Rei brush. Soap is Gattopardo from Panta Rei with a After shave lotion in the same series. Just love smiling razors and Ken Powells in particular. Alessandro Pistoias products closed the circle and made this epic. This was the perfect shave. I have a big smile on my face from ear to ear, and yes they are still attached :)

Attachments

• P_20200714_163032.jpg
    15.2 MB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom