What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" January 20th - January 26th, 2020

SOTD 1/22/2020
Brush: Rudy Vey Beehive, 28mm Shavemac D01 Knot
Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Peraonna Med Prep
Soap: Grooming Department Lemon Bay, Donkeybase

20200122_072342.jpg

Today my BBS-1 week shave #3. I am now into my fourth week of my 2020 Sabbatical and getting to really appreciate the tools I have in my den.

The Wolf Whiskers handle has a Shavemac D01 knot, with extra weight in the handle. It is a beast of a brush, but once lathered, provides terrific results. Today with the GD Mallard Rose Chai.

The Stirling Piacenza always reminds me of the beach for some reason, so the Little Hula Girl gets a cameo.

LASSC BBS-1
Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Grooming Department Mallard Rose Chai
Wolf Whiskers "Faustina" with Shavemac D01 Knot
Stirling Piacenza Aftershave

IMG_4465.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD Wednesday Jan 22nd -2020

Razor : Oneblade Core Version 2 - MFG 2019 19 (excellent daily driver)
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE modified (12) Face shaving only!
Soap : Razorock -Irish Country side.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26 mm
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse. (great for testing shave results also.)
Post shave: Razorock XXX aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + alum indicated no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Very comfortable shave.

SOTD Wednesday  Jan 22 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Wednesday 22nd January

Simpson 'Duke 2' in Best - Stirling Glastonbury - Weishi Adjustable V2 with a Feather - Pashana Original AS

Just on a whim I pulled out the Weishi Adjustable. It's good to see some original design coming out of China.
3 passes for a perfect finish :)
I have all of Stirling's mutton tallow bases except for Glastonbury. That base is hands down one of the best I've tried, regardless of price

Wednesday
Pre-shave: Trader Joe’s Face Wash/Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
Razor: OREN
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg
Aftershave: Alum/Baxter Herbal Mint Toner/Ogallala Bay Rum
Balm: Peter Thomas Roth Moisturizer

49DAAF59-54DD-47B3-93B4-0BC3CBC7E289.jpeg

SOTD 01/22/20

SWMBO returns this afternoon, so I get to indulge my scent deprivation syndrome ((SDS) for one last day. After a series of great shaves with my Gibbs Adjustable, I decided to spend the next few days shaving with one of my favorites, the LaResche 77. Although the razor appears intimidating, it’s actually one of the smoothest shavers in my Den. Armed with a Suneko blade, it swept right through my whiskers cushioned by a Soap Commander ‘Honor’ lather enhanced by PAA’s Preshave Cube. Two passes on the face for a near BBS and one and a half on the still tender noggin, recovering from its savaging by my defective Rex two days ago, and I happily settled for a very easy DFS.

After sending Matt Pisarcik numerous detailed photos, he’s asked that I send the Rex in for repair/servicing. So all is well on that front.

I really enjoyed the ‘Honor’ soap and Ogallala Bay Rum/Sandalwood AS, which I can’t use when SWMBO’s around. So all is well in southeastern PA! I feel clean, smoooth and refreshed, ready for the day!

RAZOR: LaResche 77
BLADE: Suneko
PREP: Cold water rinse and scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Soap Commander Honor
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS Splash

Wednesday, 1/22:

20200122_132027.jpg

Razor - Gillette '57 Tech
Blade - Wilkinson Sword (1)
Brush - Semogue Owners Club 24mm boar
Soap - Cella
A/S - Proraso Blue

The Tech is a great little razor. The looks, the handling, the shave; all excellent. I feel like I'm still trying to decide the angle I like best with it, because it does have a range, but right around 30 degrees seems to be the smoothest. What was NOT smooth for me was the blade. Because of my thick hair, a lot of blades that have many fans in the community like Wilkinson Swords and Voskhods don't really work for me. The blade really had a tough time getting through the hair; no tugging, but just not smooth. Part of that is probably because the razor is so light; a heavier razor may improve its performance. Next blade in the Tech will probably be an Astra. But despite that, the first pass took off a LOT of hair, and after the second I barely even needed any pick-ups. People call this a mild razor, but don't be fooled: it is efficient as hell.

The Cella was a pure delight paired with the SOC. Oh man is that a great freaking brush. One of the quickest face lathers I've ever had, with a perfectly hydrated, creamy, dense lather as a result. Can't beat it.

Thursday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: Gillette New LC
Blade: Personna Med Prep (D4)
Brush: Rod Neep Retro Deluxe Manchurian badger 24mm
Bowl: Creek Road Pottery 5½”
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Patchouli & Mint
Shave Soap: Southern Witchcraft Samhain
Balm: Handmade Soap Co. Soothing Cream
Aftershave: Southern Witchcraft Samhain

Top Bottom