What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" January 20th - January 26th, 2020

I think your list could use a timeless stainless or bronze;) don't forget, their scratch and dent items are always almost pristine, and they save you some money. I'll say that the geometry of the timeless stainless head is hard to beat.
I'm really glad there are no "enablers" on this site for the RAD-afflicted. Fortunately, my RAD is temporarily in abeyance, or at least I think so! 🙏 I'm fortunate to have already shaved with a Timeless.95, and agree, it's a great razor, but honestly, it didn't deliver any better shave than I currently receive from my current rotation. So all I can say to you is, "Back Satan!!!" 😈 🙌

792899A7-7200-49DF-A8B3-C774E533E21E.jpeg

SOTD Sunday 1/26/20

Day 3 with the Straight Razor. I made it all the way through 1 pass over my entire shave area today with the SR! Pretty excited but I still need lots of practice. I’m struggling with using my non-dominant hand..is this a must? I can’t wait to get the strop I ordered and a straight razor I purchased from a member on B&B market place. It’s probably going to be a step up and a bit more “shave ready” than the one I’m currently using.

Preshave-hot shower

Brush-Omega synthetic

Soap-Proraso Red (I’m really liking this soap)

Razor-Levering Artist

Aftershave-Nivea Balm and A splash of Clubman Special Reserve AS

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/25/20
Haslinger Marigold
Muhle 31K 256 Silver Tip Fiber
11/16 Hayashi Diamond 1000
Tony Miller 3" Steerhide Strop
Omega Alum Stick
Clubman Original
Body Shop Kistna Balm
Versace Pour Homme
SOTD1-25-20.jpg

1/26/20
Green Mountain Soap Company Spiced Rum
Vie-Long 13052
11/16 Le Grelot "The Lord Barber"
Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Strop
Omega Alum Stick
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Art of Shaving Kingsman Bourbon Balm
SOTD1-26-20.jpg

SOTD - 2020.1.26
Growth: 24h
Brush: ŌKU Alhambra by P&P - 26mm Manchurian extra dense
Soap: Eufros Lignvm
Razor: Carbon Cx
Blade: Permasharp
Post: lather face wash, alum, concoction (*), Nivea sensitive
Passes: 2 - WTG, XTG
Rating: 5/5

(*) witch hazle 50ml, 5ml glycerin, tea tree (10), Argan (25), bergamot (10), pachuli (5), Cocunut oil + CBD (5), menthol crystals - (drops)
proxy.php

Greetings from Santa Rosa, CA

How much time does it take you for blade modification? I have a Segal, but gave up in frustration after ruining a cuticle scissors and two perfectly good blades.

About 5 minutes now that I done about a half a dozen and honed the skill. I ruined 3-4 until I got the hang of it. I also have a NOS Segal blade so I can get a good trace which helps. It's easier if you buy the best cuticle scissors too. But. They do wear out pretty fast, I've noticed the cutting seems to be getting harder on the last two blades I cut so it's probably time for a new one.

About 5 minutes now that I done about a half a dozen and honed the skill. I ruined 3-4 until I got the hang of it. I also have a NOS Segal blade so I can get a good trace which helps. It's easier if you buy the best cuticle scissors too. But. They do wear out pretty fast, I've noticed the cutting seems to be getting harder on the last two blades I cut so it's probably time for a new one.
Doug Smythe of Phoenix Accoutrements has a Segal razor guide. If you email him he’ll send it.

Sunday, 1/26:

Razor - Merkur 15C
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Paladin PK-47 "Lapis Lazuli" 26mm 2-band select
Soap - Siliski Soaps Citrus
A/S - Hawaiian Shaving Co Lemon Lavender

OK, NOW I see why everybody loves their Paladins. At 26mm, this is basically brush heaven for me. Everything about it is just really darn good. The density is pretty much perfect, and the balance between backbone and splay is exceptional. It's firm enough that I can tell it will bowl lather the way I like, but it also splayed very easily for my face lather today. The tips are quite soft with no scritch, but there's also a nice mild scrub to it that's very pleasant, so the face feel is excellent. I loaded soap with ease without overloading, the lather whipped up in no time, and the 15C cruised through a smooth, creamy lather. Got a great refreshing shave today, and the Paladin is absolutely a new favorite.

Monday, 1/27:

20200127_121045.jpg

Razor - Blackland Dart, polished
Blade - Voskhod (2)
Brush - WCS Infinity "Cosmic Patina" 26mm finest badger fan
Soap - Oleo Soapworks Smoke on the Water
A/S - Brickell unscented balm

Today I tried a different approach with the Dart, angling more towards the bar to see if that would result in a smoother first pass than Saturday. The result was pretty much the same: a rough pass that wasn't enjoyable at all. The smoothness I thought I was getting from riding the bar with my second pass last time was obviously just because there had been less hair, which was what I suspected. I tried steep angle, shallow angle, and neutral angle, and with all of them there was way too much blade feel for my liking. The next step is to try a sharper blade to at least see if I can smooth things out with something that cuts my whiskers more effectively. I have to use a milder razor tomorrow because I can't do two days in a row with this, so Wednesday I'll try an Astra and see if there's an angle with that that I like. Otherwise, I might have to PIF it. It's a shame too; I can't argue with the results, I'm getting super close shaves, but if I'm not going to enjoy using it, there's not much point.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Tuesday 01.28.20 SOTD

DSCF0017 - Edited.jpg

Pre' De Provence Artisanal French Soap lather and rinse
Pal Personna Super Stainless “Star Trek Razor”
Pal Hollow Ground Injector Blade (1)
Frank Shaving 2 Band Finest Badger Extra Long Handle
Pre de Provence shave soap
Pre de Provence Sante Green Tea

DSCF0024 - Edited (1).jpg

How much time does it take you for blade modification? I have a Segal, but gave up in frustration after ruining a cuticle scissors and two perfectly good blades.
Jgreenepa,
I believe I have stumbled upon the solution to your problem. Mid century quality! (Insert they don't make things like they used to rant here) After reading about using cuticle scissors on B&B and starting to shop around online I realized I had a pair in a small grooming kit I bought for the razor. They were made in Sheffield England. The razor is a Simplex open comb that I have not dated but would guess 40's or 50's. So far I've only modified 4 blades but the scissors show no sign of slowing down. I am really enjoying the Segal, definitely worth the effort.

Top Bottom