Not open for further replies.
7B993155-9025-4337-BE52-2105D02D771B.jpeg
Pre:-
Razor: British Gen 3 Rhodium Aristocrat
Brush: Special S1 Pure
Blade: Gillette Platinum (blue/white, Swede) 3rd use
Soap: Colonel Conk Bay Rum
Result: BBS, 1 weeper

My first serious attempt at face lathering. I started with a way to wet brush but could compensate by pouring some proto lather away. The brush is prickly in a good way I like it. It took awhile to splay it right on my face but then the lather started to explode. The Swede this time didn’t felt as smooth as the other Platinum but gave a very close shave. I will use both for a fourth time in my G FOCS and then retire them. Next pairing will be Minora Platinum vs. Minora Stainless.

Friday, January 15, 2021
Modified Barber shave

Preshave preparation: Hot shower, sugar scrub & MWF face wash
Preshave: Proraso White Preshave & a hot towel for 3 minutes
Bowl: Savanna Shave Scuttle
Brush: RazoRock 400 Plissoft Knot
Soap: The Fat
Razor: Rockwell 6S with plate 4
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless shave 7
Aftershave Treatment: Barbero Alum Block, Hyaluronic Acid, First Aid Moisturizer.
EDT: Kouros
The Shave: After preparing the lather, I applied Proraso White Preshave to my face and rubbed it in. I then wrapped the areas to be shaved with a hand towel that had been soaked in hot water and then wrung dry. After three minutes, I removed the towel and began to lather up. The lather seemed to go on with less effort and seemed to make a thicker layer. I then did a two pass shave with cleanup, following each pass with a warm water rinse. After each rinse I noticed the residual slickness was much more than usual. After the third pass, I performed a cleanup pass on my problem areas and then a final rinse with cold water. I then applied the alum and went about cleaning some things up while the alum did it’s work. Then a face wash with the residual soap left in the brush. Another cold water rinse followed by an application of Hyaluronic Acid, and First Aid Moisturizer. S spritz of Kouros and I was done.
The Results: A very close shave with BBS results and no nicks or irritation whatsoever. The alum block only produced a mild sensation in the cleanup areas, but nothing on the rest of my face. Now 24 hours later, my stubble is just approaching what I would normally have after 5 hours. Now the question is what made this shave so much closer than previous shaves. The candidates are: Sugar Scrub, Hot Towel, or perhaps it was both.

13B7CB31-CB65-4347-B4E9-5D9E2136616D.jpeg

C8A81D6D-5631-429A-83C1-6B7582D12DE2.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, Day 7 Gillette Focus, JANUARY 16, 2020

I decided to finish my week long Gillette safety razor Focus with one of my two 1905 Single Rings. While not my favorite Gillette model, the News hold that honor, I've still managed decent shaves with this early Old Type safety razor, and have to say that the very slightly wider Kai DE blade definitely kicks the shave up a notch to borrow Emeril Lagasse’s expression. There was without doubt more blade feel than usual. The dolphin smooth noggin result reinforced my feelings about these Kai blades. I'm definitely becoming a fanboy! The A. Witte Copperhead’s 6/8 polished 12k Naniwa/Jasper stone edge is clearly seen in the photo, and definitely met the challenge of the prior Single Ring dome shave. Three passes left me with a velveteen smooth, refreshing finish which was topped off with my favorite Royall Lyme AS/Cologne Splash; the only scent my poor fragrance allergic bride can tolerate, if used infrequently.

RAZOR: A. Witte Copperhead 6/8 Solingen (Mug), Gillette Single Ring (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE Aluminum Monster Tuxedo Synth
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne Splash.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Sat, Jan 16th 2021, Just received my new 2nd generation Stainless steel Razorock Lupo .72 razor & thought it would be nice to give it a test. I like to just do a 2 pass shave with pick ups with a mid range razor with my standard blade for testing is a Gillette Astra SP (1). The razor is nice to hold and is a impressive looking but how does it shave?
For the first shave it did a excellent job with just a standard Gillette blade and results hit my sweet spot CCS,DFS,BBS so I'm a happy camper. Alum block never lies and it really did not register much of anything either. So to me it is a Excellent razor for 1st impressions!

Razor: Razorock 2nd generation Stainless steel Lupo .72 SS- MFG 2021, mid range and built very well and not over aggressive with a low head profile that will appeal to some. Great DE razor for upper lip area. Very impressive Great razor IMO.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP (1) A real good blade, Sharp & smooth and use it for testing any new DE razor(my Standard) to gauge performance. Good longevity also.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandal wood cream- nice scent and excellent lather qualities, good bargain at Fendrihan.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24 mm knot- Excellent lather creator with heavenly cloud soft tips with some back bone for scrub & lather painting.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Alum indicated not much at all = :thumbup:
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum + sandal wood + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Excellent shave with my RR 2nd Generation Lupo .72 + Astra SP blade.
SOTD, Sat, Jan 16th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom