SOTD "FREE WEEK" February 3rd - February 9th, 2020

Friday, 2/7:

20200208_083248.jpg

Razor - Rex Ambassador
Blade - Shark Super Chrome (4)
Brush - Semogue 610 21mm boar
Soap - Razorock Tobacco #2
A/S - Cremo Reserve balm

Another really excellent finish from this razor. There was a little irritation afterwards, I think because my lather wasn't great today. Been having some issues with RR soaps last couple times I used them. Probably just not loading heavily enough; I really have to stick with it longer when I use Marco's method, but I get in a rush some mornings. But the results were superb, so I ain't complaining.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Friday, 7 February 2020

Gel: Elegance Plus
Razor: Hone Type 15
Blade: Nacet (1)
Splash: Homebrew A/S*
Frag: Caron Pour Homme

A bit hurried today, so I opted for a gel only shave (normally, I use the gel as a pre-shave). Worked well as I got a quality shave without pulling or irritation--largely, I believe, through the use of a shiny new Nacet blade. Without question, the Nacet brings out the best in the Hone--at least on this face.
*WH/4711/Glycerin/Jojoba

Last edited:
I'd like to start of my shaves of the week post by apologizing for the lack of posts over the last month, college has been hectic with practicals, so i haven't had that much time to take photos every week.

I had a few interesting shaves this week, the old Nivea shave gel i had in my cupboard actually performed amazingly, so well in fact that i might keep a can on hand for traveling, although soaps are far superior for me. The arko and bundubeard coffee never fail to disappoint, and both have retained their title of being my favourite soaps for almost a year now.

One of my less used aftershaves, Revlon pub featured heavily this week, and i don't know why i dont use it more because its a fantastic classic aftershave.

Shave 1:
Razor: gillette super speed flare tip(US)
Blade: super max blue diamond (13)
Brush: Omega 49
Soap: Arko shave stick
Aftershave: old spice whitewater

Shave 2:
Blade: super max blue diamond (14)
Brush: Wilkinson sword classic shave
Gel: Nivea for men Extreme comfort
Aftershave: Revlon Pub

Shave 3:
Blade: super max blue diamond (15)
Brush: Wilkinson sword classic shave
Soap: bundubeard coffee
Aftershave: Revlon Pub
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

F5348323-535A-455F-8B9C-36349DC33BA7.jpeg

SOTD 02/08/20

I have to admit that this razor is truly amazing! My third bloodless two pass BBS in a row! Today after cleaning up after the shave, I closely examined the baseplate! I always disassemble and clean and dry each razor after use. I’ve already commented on how the end bars sit slightly above the inner teeth on this OC design, but what I hadn’t noticed that first time was the very slight concave bowing of the baseplate. It is so subtle that it only came to my attention after careful observation. The top cap is also similarly bowed. The efficacy of the slant design is well known. Now I’m no razor designer, but I wonder if this slight bowing of only a few degrees produces a slight dual guillotine effect. I guess I’m grasping at straws trying to figure out how one razor can be so smooth and yet so incredibly efficient. My other 51 was not the Luxe model, and it was a smooth shaver, but it didn’t compare efficiency-wise. Now it was from the 30’s according to the guy I bought it from, and this one represents 40 more years of incremental improvements. So I’ll just attribute it’s efficacy to that! In any case, my third bloodless BBS with no heat anywhere! Is it possible to fall in love with an inanimate piece of metal? If so, I’m there! Hope SWMBO doesn’t sense my divided affections. I feel clean, smooth, cool and refreshed!

RAZOR: LaResche 51 Luxe
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Feb 8th -2020

Razor: Gillette Fatboy E4- MFG 1959-4qtr
Blade : Personna red (4)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Razorock Noir 400
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Proraso green with witch hazel + Nivea Men balm- nice balm & scent is better quality possibly than the old stuff. It seems Thicker IMO with a great scent.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation +no weepers = :a17: great shave!

SOTD. Sat-Feb th-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Saturday, 2/8:

20200208_120429.jpg

Razor - OneBlade Genesis
Blade - Feather FHS-10 (1)
Brush - WCS Infinity "Night Swamp" 26mm finest badger fan
Cream - OneBlade Lavender
A/S - OneBlade aftershave balm

I hadn't used the OneBlade in quite some time, so I figured what the hell. Went to work with long strokes during the first pass, engaging the pivot when I wanted, and shorter strokes for the second. I ended up with a pretty damn good shave that was really comfortable the whole time. I remember this razor having more bite, but today it was just smooth as anything. Quick, smooth result, I'm happy with that for sure.

How do you like your Green Ray brush? I've two PAA brushes (Starcraft, Atomic Rocket), so the Ray is next on my list--pending some good reviews.
I have 3 PAA brushes - Starcraft, Solar Flare, and the Green Ray. They all look great and are solidly made. For my preference the Solar Flare is a tad bit too soft but is still very good. The Starcraft is perfect and I like it by far the best. The Green Ray was on my list because I found the knot description very interesting. I bought it with the starter kit and believe the package is a great deal. I like it somewhere in between the other two brushes. The handle is a bit small for my hands but not uncomfortable. I was hoping there would be more backbone and it would be more like horse hair, but as the Starcraft description notes, it has more backbone than the Green Ray. I did not really feel strong similarities with horse hair other than color. As such, it was a bit of a disappointment only in that it did not meet my expectations - not in overall performance. It works fine, is smaller, and looks are better in person in my opinion. All their brushes have been good values. I only used it for the first time this past week and only have 7 shaves with it. I would recommend the Green Ray if you like the style, but ignore the knot description relating to horse hair. It is a nice addition to the collection, but not my my favorite brush to use. To me the Starcraft is the best PAA brush I have used.

02/08/20 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Wood Box Soap Handcrafted Goat Milk Soap Barber Shop Tobacco and Bay Leaf
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Dapper Doc Conditioning Shampoo Puck
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Future Fiction Artisan Shave Soap Ultra Premium Formula CK-6
West Coast Shaving Green Honeycomb Synthetic Tuxedo Hair Shaving Brush 26mm
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Yaqi Knight Helmet Safety Razor Head, Matte Nickel with 85mm RazoRock Polished Grade 2 Ti HALO Razor Handle - First Use
Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 1st Shave
Shavex Alum Block
Thayers Alcohol Free Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Future Fiction Artisan Aftershave & Cologne
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Unscented Post-Shave Menthol Balm
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Boomtown Bay Rum Natural Deodorant - Sport Formula​

B IMG_6787.jpg

20200208_214132_resized.jpg

SOTD
Pre: Hot Shower
Soap: Phoenix & Beau New Sovereign Base Unscented
Razor: Parker Variant
Blade: Derby Usta (2)
Brush: Kevy Shaves DS Cosmetic
A/S: Myrsol Plastic
Balm: Nivea Men Originals

Testing out the new Sovereign soap base from Phoenix & Beau. Very impressed with this new base. A definite improvement on the current P&B soap. Great slickness and cushion from the lather and the post shave feel is really good. The Parker Variant with the Derby Usta was an excellent pairing.

Top Bottom