What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" February 3rd - February 9th, 2020

It's another "FREE WEEK" ladies and gentlemen.

It's time to be creative.

Please feel free to post any photo, with any gear and any style you chose, or contribute by telling us what you used in your shave, with comments on the shave, if you desire.

Color, B&W, sepia or a photograph with any type of artistic touch you wish is always desired.

HAVE FUN!

*Paladin Strawberry Amber Cat's Eye Chief 28MM
*Razorock Black Mamba
*Catie's Bubbles Orange and Yuuuge! Soap
*Chiseled Face Orange Creamsicle Splash
*PolSilver SI Blade (1)
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Menthol Monday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: Supply Provision The Single Edge
Blade: Personna Injector (D1)
Brush: Turkish #1 Horsehair
Bowl: Junichi Tanaka 5"
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: TSD Iced SubZero
Shave Soap: Beaver WoodWright Shiver Me Timber's
Balm: Organic Shea Butter
Aftershave: Krampert’s Frostbite

Date:- 03 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike’s Natural ~ Lime
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'D' / Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless #13
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Acqua di Gio Giorgio Armani

Monday
Pre-shave: Trader Joe’s Face Wash/Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
Razor: Gillette Flare Tip Rocket
Blade: PermaSharp Super Stainless
Brush: DS Cosmetic Ken Surfs 2019 Summer Edition
Soap: Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg
Aftershave: Alum/Baxter Herbal Mint Toner/Ogallala Bay Rum
Balm: Clinique for Men Broad Spectrum Moisturizer

Monday

Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles La Terre Verte
Razor: Vintage Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Blue Super Platinum (6)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks/Elite Manchurian White-24mmx54mm
Aftershave: Country Club Southern Oud

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Catie’s Bubbles La Terre Verte today. 20 seconds to load the Wild West Brushworks/Elite Manchurian White brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Gillette Blue Super Platinum in the vintage Gillette Slim. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Country Club Southern Oud aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

IMG_8558.jpg

First shave with the TOBS sandalwood soap. Though I am still very new to wet-shaving, I am already being drawn to soaps (and boar brushes now, too); and I love TOBS sandalwood cream, so figured this was a no-brainer.

I wasn't very impressed, though I only have a few soaps to which I can compare. The scent out of the package was in-your-face *fragrantly*, but nothing after whipped up into a lather (that's not necessarily a bad thing). In a blind smell test, I could pick out the sandlewood cream from a lineup, easy, but I would have ruled this something out of the women's section at Macys.

I didn't get the 'peaks' of the other soaps I have tried, either.

I'm going to stick with it all week to give it a fair shake. :)

B73C638D-FDD1-4169-A6FA-4526A6309D35.jpeg
34AD3E87-AFE4-4401-B619-AEE8497418F6.jpeg

SOTD 02/03/20

Today is SWMBO’s birthday and tomorrow is mine. She is 10 yrs younger - I know; I’m a cradle robber! To launch things off, I decided to shave with one of my two all-time favorite safety razors - the GE Jones Shake Sharp. I own three versions - the Mark 1.5 and the Mark 2/3 in nickel and gold plate respectively. I do not own the original Mark 1.0. This is a unique design that was launched in the mid 40s and ended in the early 50s. It is a SE that uses DE blades and was introduced at the very end of the carbon steel (CS) razor blade era. CS blades were thicker than the then newly produced stainless steel (SS) blades and did not hold an edge as long. The Shake Sharp was designed during the depression and included a built-in hone to allow one to sharpen their CS blades by literally shaking the razor back and forth. For whatever reason, the launch was delayed and they lost their marketing window. SS blades were thinner and just didn’t sharpen in the way CS did. A friend at TSD (@jmudrick) who’s probably shaved with just about every safety razor variant in existence acknowledges this razor as a favorite and introduced me to it. He uses his Mark 1.0 and loads two stacked SS blades into it. This technique works brilliantly because two stacked SS blades are roughly equivalent to a single CS blade.

We are both head and face shavers. And this razor is amazing with a very wide sweet spot! I do not use the hone function, but others have with vintage CS blades.With two stacked SS blades the shave is smooth and highly efficient. I loaded two stacked Wizamet Super Iridiums and had at it! Truly a perfect shave with my favorite soap, MWF and 5 drops of M-Bomb, complemented by PAA’s Cube Preshave Soap. This is a razor that thrives on long sweeping strokes that clear the whiskers right down to the skin line! Two passes (WTG and ATG) and that’s all she wrote - bloodless BBS all around. The alum block revealed no heat anywhere. My wife left early for work, so I broke out the Florida Water to celebrate and liberally splashed both noggin and face - lovely burn! I feel clean, smooooth, cooool, and very refreshed on this bright, sunny day in southeast PA.

RAZOR: Shake Sharp Mark 1.5
BLADE: 2 Stacked Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Florida Water AS/Cologne

Top Bottom