What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" February 10th - February 16th, 2020

Saturday, 2/15:
. Today was most certainly brush burn. Despite the Fan Fiction knot being half synthetic-half 2-band, it is a very scritchy brush.

I just wonder, if you are doing fine with other synthetics ...? I for one, will not touch synthetics. To me it's a matter of sticking with tradition, I want real animal hair/bristle in my brush, all natural product. But I could imagine that synthetic bristles could actually cause an allergic reaction - in contrast to natural bristle/hair. Does the same ever happen to you if you use all natural hair (boar or badger)..?

I went to Lidl and bought my first ever cartridge razor for €3.50.
It comes with the handle and 1 cartridge. The color scheme caught my eye. Four extra cartridges cost €4.70 (I’m not planning on getting any extra).
Before I got into wet shaving late last year, I only ever bought disposable razors or would sometimes use my dad’s cartridge razors.

-Cien Men Shark 5-Blade Cartridge Razor (with precision trimmer and pivot head)
-Albert Heijn Care Shave Gel Regular (this is the Dutch equivalent of Walmart’s Equate)
-Puma I’m Going Man AS Lotion (1st time using this; it’s a mesmerizing scent! Exudes a luxury, masculine fragrance)

I’m going to be shaving with this everyday till the end of the month. That will be 15 days of two-pass shaves (Feb 15th- Feb 29th).
I’m curious to see how long the blade can last, especially since it’s so much cheaper than the Gillette cartridge systems. Additionally, the handle has a surprising weight to it! It’s a combination of metal and rubber.

360CDB6E-7765-4770-A08D-5B0A77D42761.jpeg
BED7CA41-755B-48E7-9AF5-101487A7DF03.jpeg

Last edited:
I just wonder, if you are doing fine with other synthetics ...? I for one, will not touch synthetics. To me it's a matter of sticking with tradition, I want real animal hair/bristle in my brush, all natural product. But I could imagine that synthetic bristles could actually cause an allergic reaction - in contrast to natural bristle/hair. Does the same ever happen to you if you use all natural hair (boar or badger)..?

Yeah, I do fine with other synthetics. I've never had any kind of a reaction to any of them. Same goes for natural hair. It's the sensitivity of my face; it can't handle a lot of scritchiness in a face lather. It's fine in small amounts, like if I bowl lather with a scritchy brush and then just apply the lather to my face with minimal scrubbing. But it's uncomfortable for me to try to face lather with a natural hair brush that's too stiff or scritchy, like my best badger brushes, or with a synthetic that is too stiff because it has too short a loft for me and doesn't splay well. That's when I get into trouble, particularly if I'm spending some time building the lather and it isn't a quick thing. It's honestly this brush. It is way scritchier than I would expect something half-synthetic to be. Synth fibers usually have almost exaggeratedly soft tips.

02/15/20 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Wood Box Soap Handcrafted Goat Milk Soap Marine Park Grapefruit and Patchouli
Phoenix Shaving The Original Chill Mill - Menthol Grinder
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Grove Artisan Shave Soap
Dogwood Handcrafts Aurora Shaving Brush - 24mm Maggard Synthetic Knot
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Grackle DOC Razor
Feather New Hi-Stainless Blade - 1st Shave
Shavex Alum Block
Thayers Alcohol Free Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Grove Aftershave & Cologne
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Mentholated Mysterium Serum Advanced Fragrance & Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm
Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength​

B IMG_6828.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
SATURDAY, 15 February 2020

Pre: Elegance Plus "Earth" gel
Lather: Cella
Brush: H.I.S Synth
Bowl: Turkish copper*
Razor: Hone Type 15
Blade: Nacet (5)
Splash: Homebrew (WH/Clubman Lime/glycerin/jojoba)
Frag: Caron L'anarchiste

*Never did get around to digging out the scuttle. Maybe tomorrow.

Ski Holiday Shave...7-16 Feb 20
Creams

Suezbana Lemon Tea Tree
Omega Eucalyptus
EJ Lime & Pomegranate
Soap

Catie's Bubbles Irish Coffee
Brush

Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Synthetic
DS Cosmetic 26mm Badger
Razors
EJ89
Parker 26C Open Comb
Gillette Tech
Blades
Feather
Voskhod
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Bowls
Red Nubs
Timeless
Post Shave
Omega Alum
Clubman Whisky Wood
Cavendish
Nivea Sensitive
Ice Cold Water
Alternated with 3 creams, 1 soap, 3 razors, 3 blades, 2 bowls and 2 aftershaves.
Best shave was with Feather!
Best post shave...the icy cold water!
20200211_081145.jpg

20200211_081449.jpg

20200211_082623.jpg

20200212_071333.jpg

20200215_083452.jpg

20200216_095314.jpg

Top Bottom