What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" December 9th - December 15th, 2019

7D1A49AF-0BB0-4D6D-BD11-254D6ADD286D.jpeg

Good stuff. Aluminum handle stays warm during the shave, pretty cool. Be nice in the summer too, can run it under cold water and it’ll be nice and cold.

YRP might be my favorite scent ever.

Blackbird still #1, no other razor has had the top spot this long, it’s an elegant weapon and I’m glad to own one.

Monday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Sandpiper
Soap: Palmolive Cream-Italian
Razor: Gillette 40’s Style Super Speed
Blade: Vintage Schick Plus Platinum (1)
Brush: John’s Brushes Silvertip-22mmx48mm
Aftershave: Pino Silvestre Underwood

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Palmolive Cream-Italian today. 10 seconds to load the John’s Brushes Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. I loaded a new Schick Plus Platinum in the vintage Gillette 40’s Style Super Speed. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Pino Silvestre Underwood aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

2D3E126E-4155-47DE-AAAB-3DC08ABE75F7.jpeg

SOTD 12/15/19

My vintage shave on this 16th day of Decadent December featured the Star DE, manufactured between 1946 and 1959 in Brooklyn, NY by the Star Division of the American Safety Razor Corp. It was designed to compete with the Gillette Tech razor. I found the shave to be a bit more efficient than my Gillette Techs. It chopped through two days growth with little difficulty, and provided a straightforward DFS to both face and dome, enhanced by my favorite shave cream, Kapo, salted with my regular 5-6 drops of M-Bomb. All in all, a good solid shave that left me feeling clean and refreshed and ready for church.

RAZOR: Star DE
BLADE: Suneko
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a face and dome scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #374
CREAM: Kapo Fresh salted with 5-6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash of face and dome with Glyce Glycerin Soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Snake Bite

FC69E17A-587F-4C3F-920D-B1B5EB88FC00.jpeg

SOTD 12/16/19

Mentholated M-Bomb Monday the 16th of Decadent December provided an excellent dome and face shave. The longer handle on this gold tone Gillette Black Beauty required choking up on the handle a bit to get the back of the dome done properly. This vintage Gillette is a P-1 dating to the first quarter of 1970. Set at 7, it delivered a satisfying blade feel and easily mowed down the whiskers. I’m really starting to like this Declaration Grooming Sellout milksteak-based soap. When treated with 5-6 drops of M-Bomb, it cooled and protected all shave areas very pleasantly. The result was a complete BBS that left me feeling clean, cool, very smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Gillette Black Beauty Adjustable
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold Water rinse of face and dome followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Declaration Grooming Sellout salted w/ 5-6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with PAA’s Mentholated Mysterium Serum

SOTD, 16 December 2019

A wonderful shave today, thanks to Murphy and McNeil's Claddagh. With this choice of a slightly warmer weather soap, I'm celebrating the temporary warmup of afternoon high temperatures expected this week to the mid 30's Fahrenheit, before we dive down again right after Christmas to single digit highs. Very smooth, tremendous lather today. M&M's stuff is so good!

Pre-shave: Pacific Shaving Company Bamboo Pre-shave Scrub and hot towel
Razor: Fine Accoutrements Marvel
Blade: Israeli Personna Red (#4)
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements Ceramic Lather Bowl
Soap: Murphy and McNeil Claddagh
Aftershave: Murphy and McNeil Claddagh Splash
Tunes: Miles Davis, Kind of Blue

1576506063440.png

Monday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Sandpiper
Soap: Palmolive Cream-Italian
Razor: Gillette 40’s Style Super Speed
Blade: Vintage Schick Plus Platinum (1)
Brush: John’s Brushes Silvertip-22mmx48mm
Aftershave: Pino Silvestre Underwood

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Palmolive Cream-Italian today. 10 seconds to load the John’s Brushes Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. I loaded a new Schick Plus Platinum in the vintage Gillette 40’s Style Super Speed. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Pino Silvestre Underwood aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php
Great shave, Bob! I am also a big fan of Palmolive Shave cream!

Jeff

View attachment 1044111

Good stuff. Aluminum handle stays warm during the shave, pretty cool. Be nice in the summer too, can run it under cold water and it’ll be nice and cold.

YRP might be my favorite scent ever.

Blackbird still #1, no other razor has had the top spot this long, it’s an elegant weapon and I’m glad to own one.
The Blackbird is a highly efficient shave! I have found the Colonial Silversmith to be comparable!

Jeff

Top Bottom