What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" December 23rd - December 29th, 2019

Sunday, December 29
proxy.php

Myrsol Don Carlos 1972~~The "Duke"~~Feather AS-D2~~Wilkinson "Light Brigade"

Have a great day!

AC0DBFB6-9738-4015-B1B4-FD194558E056.jpeg

SOTD 12/29/19

My vintage razor a day shaving exercise is rapidly drawing to a close. On this 29th day of Decadent December I selected a NOS LaResche 901 safety razor and had a bit of a rough go. The razor was made in the 1960s and marked the beginning of the end for LaResche safety razor production. The open comb had a few bent teeth requiring straightening, and just did not seem to even begin to approach the quality level of the 51 or their masterpiece, the 77. The razor had a relatively narrow sweet spot, and only seemed to perform decently when riding the cap. The result was an acceptable DFS with a few minor weepers that did not require the styptic. The alum block settled things down nicely. The Gillette Pure shave cream is a nice product and lathered up beautifully, and did it’s job well. I feel clean and refreshed, but not particularly smooth.

RAZOR: LaResche 901
BLADE: Suneko
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water rinse followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Lavender Pour Homme

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday shave Dec 29th-19, Looks like Mrs Santa gifted me with some good new Avon products for Christmas. If you like tobacco Vanilla scent with some other ingredients- the brown bottle(True Gent) is a cologne with lasting power and reminds me of barber shop scents in the old days as a youth getting a hair cut.

Razor : Schick adjustable injector model 3 - MFG 1970-72- one of the best Schick razors made .
Blade : Personna injector SS PTFE (6)
Soap : Razorock Santa Marie del Flore "Firenze"-Excellent soap scent & properties IMO.
Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle- very nice brush.
Preshave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave : Alum + cold water rinse.
Post shave : Avon "True Gent" cologne with witch hazel + Avon "True Gent" balm. -Nice present this Christmas.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated no irritation + no weepers = :a17:

Sunday shave Dec 29th 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

29 Dec 19
Razor:
Razorock GC.84 OC
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Brush: 24mm RR Silvertip barrel Badger brush
Pre-Shave: Shower and face wash
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Almond Cream
Aftershave: Clubman Citrus Musk AS / Crown Shaving AS lotion
Additional Care: Element Botanicals Man up tonic
IMG_20191228_061445.jpg

Hi,
I find this soap to lather up very nicely though it is a bit on the thirsty side.
What I do to get it going for bowl lathering:
Wet the brush while I shower in warm water. I then pinch with my thumb and index finger (forming a ring around the knot) about 1/3 of the way. This gets rid of a fair amount of water while leaving the brush nicely moist.
I then load up the brush, between 20 to 30 swirls normally does it.
Take it to a bowl and start working the lather. When I see that no more lather is coming out I dip the tips of the brush in water and continue to whip up the lather.
One of the things that makes a big difference is to gently knock the sides of the brush’s brittles on the sides of the bowl while swirling the lather. As if the knot was a bell’s hammer. This makes the water and soap come out of the brush and mixes very nicely with air into small bubbles that creates a lovely looking dense lather progressively.
I keep dipping in water and repeating the process until I get the consistency I want. Normally between 3 to 4 dips in water and whipping does it.
For face lather I do something similar. Same process to load.
Once loaded I paint it all over the face. Once painted, I dip the tips in water and paint again. I repeat this process until The soap on my face looks a bit transparent. At that point I lightly swirl the tips spaying the brush a bit but not splatting it to the face. This gets the lather inside the brush out and then continue to paint. Slight, splay, paint several times. At the beginning you may think you’ve over watered the soap but the moment you start splaying the brush and painting, the lather builds up very nicely.
In rare occasions I have to add more water, specially with thirsty soaps like this one.
This soap and base is absolutely fantastic: lovely scent, great performance, silk and beautiful post shave feel. It’s residual slickness is just amazing.
That’s how I do it and it works beautifully. Hope it helps.

Greetings from Santa Rosa, CA

Thanks! Yes, it is THIRSTY.

Sunday, 12/28/19:

20191229_122834.jpg

Razor - Merkur 15C
Blade - Astra SP (2)
Brush - Leonidam "Aurelio" 26mm HD 2-band gel
Soap - WCS/Siliski Soaps Midnight Oasis
A/S - Supply Arenella Coast

My second use of this brush, and it continues to impress. I don't think it's lost a single hair, and it lathers very well; soft "wall of badger" and fun to use. Merkur 15C is a nice easy razor to breeze through a shave with, and actually gave me a pretty close shave in 2 passes. Got a really nice lather out of the soap, gave me all the slickness/residual I needed. The nice thing about a brush that retains a lot of water is it makes it so much easier to dial in thirsty soaps. Shave was great and super comfortable, just what I wanted.

X-posted in the King Gillette weekend thread:

Vintage Shave this weekend

1964 Slim
Vokshod Blade
Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Custom Soap
English Leather Aftershave
  • I like the Slim better than the Fat Boy but as always, YMMV.
  • The Vokshod blade is very nice to me in the Slim and is one of only two blades that I have bulk purchased.
  • The Maggard brush is almost a year old and I love it. Nice backbone and builds lather fast. I gifted 4 of them this Xmas to newbies and so far so good.
  • I make my own soap based off of the open recipe floating around on various forums.
  • My now wife gave me the English Leather After Shave when we were 16 or 17 (1983-1984 ish I can't remember which one). I only use it so often as she says it smells stale (I thinks its fine though .. :001_tongu)

IMG_20191229_200502.jpg

1C2E0332-4063-45BC-8632-BD47515C3653.jpeg

SOTD 12/30/19

First shave with this relatively recent acquisition, the Schick Injector Type I2 Hydro-Magic on this penultimate day of Decadent December. Although I have a half century’s experience with the Schick Krona, injector razors are a rather new experience, but I do understand why folks like these razors. Sometimes, a first jaunt with a new razor can be problematic, but not in this case. The shave was very pleasant with virtually no blade feel. In fact, I initially thought the razor wasn’t cutting, but a quick check affirmed a nice close first pass. Two passes later was all she wrote delivering a very close near BBS. I didn’t modify anything else from yesterday’s shave. I feel clean, refreshed, and smell of lavender (SWMBO is traveling on business).

RAZOR: Schick Injector Type I2 Hydro-Magic
BLADE: Personna Vintage Injectors
PREP: Cold Water rinse and face scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Gillette Pure
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Lavender Pour Homme

SOTD : 31st December 2019.

c.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Imperial Leather ~ Sea Minerals & Black Mint Shower Gel.

Pre:

Warm wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Transparent Soap.

Brush: Yaqi ~ 24mm Sagrada Familia.

Face Lather.

Soap: Pheonix & Beau ~ Star Noir.

Blade: Gillette Winner.(1)

Razor: Parker Variant. (Settings) wtg 2.5,xtg 2.5,wtg + Pick Ups 3.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade Lavender + Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Dana ~ English Leather ASL.

Wilko Men's ~ Aftershave Balm.

Greetings,

(new years Eve Shave)

Last shave of 2019...

I have many wonderful razors in my humble de razor collection, but for overall performance, smoothness & efficiency this year alone the parker variant has provided me with some of the best shaves to date..However the fairly recent acquired Parker Semi-Slant 55SL is a very close second..Both superb de razors that i highly recommend.

Paired together with the Gillette winner de blade another superb indian made shaving product resulted in a pleasurable 3 pass + pick ups BBS shave with no errors to report.

Finishing to the shave off with a generous dollop of Wilko Men's ~ Aftershave Balm.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling devine.;)

Keep safe and enjoy the new year's eve celebrations this evening ladies & gentlemen.😎

Top Bottom