What's new

SOTD Free Week August 3 to August 9 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_6773.jpg

Friday morning SOTD - An Ultra Smooth BBS

Friday’s are the days in a week I look forward the most! Weekend is going to come, time for relaxation and rejuvenation post a hectic week of work that keeps me way too motivated on Friday’s. Additionally if you get a perfect BBS at the start of the day it definitely becomes extra special!

Pre shave - Pink Woolf Oceanic Blue Pre Shave Oil
Shaving cream - Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar Shaving Cream
Lathering Bowl - Pink Woolf ceramic lathering bowl
Brush - Trigodon 23 mm tuxedo knot synthetic
Razor - Edwin Jagger chrome finish DE89
Blade - Feather Blades (on 2nd use)
Aftershave - Alum block followed by Truefitt & Hill Grafton Aftershave Balm

Great products always produce great results when applied in the most optimum possible way! This statement summarises my shave today. Fantastic lather on bowl lathering for a two pass shave (WTG & ATG). Feather works best on my face on the 2nd use and when combined with my favourite EJ DE89 Chrome it glides like dream. Perfect sharpness of the blade (not too sharp like day 1) and perfect mildness of the razor helps to get that extra smoothness while taking your 2 day old whiskers away effortlessly & without any feedback.

The shave was so good that there was almost zero feedback upon applying the alum block. The ritual ended with application of the sublimely fragrant Grafton Aftershave from Truefitt & Hill. There is a reason I swear by T&H products as they never disappoint me and are top class!

Next shave on Sunday afternoon which will be a leisurely one!

Thank you and wishing all a very happy weekend!
🙏🏽
77C64867-25B7-4EB1-9890-EDC94B37203C.jpeg
3FEC8767-4A49-4B25-B5EB-032571CAEDBA.jpeg
B93C9C6C-AEB2-4520-887A-D7D47141D757.jpeg
345BCEFD-FDF2-4E40-A90E-26A8865A5B31.jpeg

Fri 7 SOTD
Cream Arko Sensitive
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor Fatip OC Grande
Blade Tatra Platinum 2nd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Terrific lather from Arko cream. Nice pleasant scent...thickly creamy and slick. Nice brush for lathering.
Shave with razor paired with blade was interesting. Was smooth but not so comfortable this time. Felt a little like scraping. No weepers but the neck spotted red irritated areas. 3+1 multiple passes with quite a close shave. Icy water rinse followed by cooling Thayers was great. Hyaluronic soothed and AV Musk burns some. Rating 9/10
20200807_134019.jpg

20200807_134109.jpg

SOTD FRIDAY, AUGUST 7, 2020

Glad to be able to post a shave again after having lost power from a local tornado this past Tuesday in the wake of Hurricane Isaias. We were notified that power wouldn’t be restored until this Sunday. After three days my neighbor called our local Congressman and lo and behold about an hour later a power crew showed up to clear the two trees blocking our neighborhood’s sole access. Power was restored shortly thereafter. The shave was extremely enjoyable. With all the talk lately about Gillette New models, I selected one of the best vintage shavers I own, my New LC for the dome shave and neck cleanup.

Before my shower I soaked the Rooney Badger brush and bloomed the MWF in warm water. The shave began with a cold water rinse and a good scrub of both mug and noggin with the Rabid Banana Preshave Cube. The Rooney brush whipped up a great, cooling, wet lather to the mug and a thick protective lather to the noggin thanks to the 6 drops of M-Bomb added earlier to the shave bowl. My straight razor technique is slowly improving. I can easily achieve a VBBS above the jawline. It’s that danged, saggy, old-man neck that presents issues.

My safety razor technique has improved immeasurably, thanks to the skin-stretching and attention to shave angle learned from using straights. Despite that it seems that I’ll never achieve a VBBS below the neck with the straight razor alone. One thing I have noticed is that Ben’s new 30k grit jnat finishing stone has resulted in incredibly sharp straights. His hair pinging demo yesterday on this Damascus straight used this morning scared the bejeezus out of yours truly. His talk of “velvet, buttery” edges didn’t help! But it did give the notion of ‘negative pressure’ new meaning.

So despite a glasslike finish above the jawline, below is a challenge. There’s my terror about using the scary sharp straights my son is returning to me. His new honemeister guru from up around the Boston area doesn’t believe in stropping. He apparently advocates for a weekly touch up on the 30k stone. I will say that the razors he returns to me are very sharp. It did feel like I was just brushing away the lather above the jawline. The New LC did a tremendous job on my neck cleanup and was a joy to use on the dome. I'm on my 10th shave with the Suneko DE blade, although I think it’s coming to the end of the trail. After three days without a shave I feel cool, clean and amazingly velveteen!

RAZOR: CKA Damascus Koa Wood Scales 6/8 (Mug), Gillette New LC (Dome)
BLADE: Suneko (10)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

05658DA0-A911-4709-88CA-67C8E81660CE.jpeg

Lime Shave:

Parker Variant razor
Voskhod blade (2)
Rudy Vey Lime Kent style with Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silver Tip bulb
Soap Smooth Lime Soda soap
Doug Smith Pottery shave mug
Osma alum block
Stirling Gin and Tonic aftershave balm
Captains Choice Lime aftershave

All the lime! First use of the brush showed it definitely has the most backbone of all my badger brushes. For me, I use the brush primarily to paint the lather on my face, so I'm not sure I need this much backbone. However, it was still nice, and it was only the first use.
IMG_20200807_065230305.jpg

SOTD (# 142/2020)
06-08-2020
20200806_192107-01.jpeg

Preshave: cold water.
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Lemon Chill
Razor: 40's style Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Feather (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS, Nivea post shave balm.

Have a sunny weekend, ladies and gentleman!

Fri shave vign.jpg

Friday’s Shave

I went with Klar Seifen Rasiwerseife soap today. Today I used Uomo da Vinci 293 Silvertip brush. The razor is a Wolfman SS SB WR2 1.05 mm razor loaded with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade. Today’s aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was Jimmy Choo Man Intense.

I'm sorry I've been a bit absent lately. Just been dealing with a lot right now.

Tonight's shave

Hess no. 1 5/8" JNAT finish straight razor

Diamond Deep - Cut Russian 2 1/2" strop

Elite Irish Bog Oak with 24mm Elite 2band

PAA Meta Nectar soap and aftershave

Captains Choice lather bowl

View attachment 1136022
Best wishes and hope all goes well in your endeavors. Great looking shave kit from the brush to soap to razor, strop and aftershave....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom