What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" August 31st - September 6th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
DFS today. Possibly only the 3rd decent shave ever I've had from an injector in nearly 40 years.

IMG_20200906_192403619~4.jpg

CF06EC87-369E-4529-9086-13BEC14AC28E.jpeg

Pre: PAA Cube 2.0
Brush: EJ Silvertip
Razor: Parker Semi-slant
Blade: Astra SP (#5)
Soap: Lather Bros. No Probllama
Post: Alum followed by Lather Bros. No Probllama aftershave

Closed out this week of SOTD with a fantastic shave tonight! Used the Marco Method for another killer lather. Scent was on point and no feedback from the alum. Aftershave was cool and refreshing.

Mon 7 SOTD
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Soap RazoRock Mudder Focker
Razor RazoRock Game Changer.84-P SB
Blade Gillette Wilkinson Sword 2nd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
OK lather from soap. Too mild the scent although it's interesting and pleasant to my nose. Performance was just acceptable.
Shave with razor paired with blade was sharp, smooth and although comfortable but can feel if I slipup I will cut myself. Still a very enjoyable 3+1 multiple direction passes with a bbs to dfs outcome. Excellent post and aftershave ensuring a soft and moist mug. Rating 9.5/10
20200907_071450.jpg

DFE41487-36AE-4AE0-A35F-5B4C757BE261.jpeg

SOTD MONDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 7, 2020

Yesterday’s shave was spectacular, but I’ve been troubled that my Feather SS razor was creating bad shaving angle habits. So I borrowed my son, Ben’s DX Barber’s Razor that was literally covered in dust. He hadn’t used it in years apparently, and had no interest in ever using it again. After shaving with it, I traded him an old Triumph Spitfire overdrive transmission of mine he’s wanted that I’ll never use and that he plans to adapt for his Triumph GT. It was just taking up space in my garage. We’re both happy. He’s got a 50 yr old gummed up transmission and I have a practically brand new Feather DX. As my friend Bill Morgan (@Edison Carter) said, it shaves and feels much more like a straight than the SS model I’d been using. After loading it and my Colonial General V2 with Feather Supers I was ready.

This morning I decided to shave both face and dome with Nancy Boy Signature shave cream. I still really like this cream, although it’s a bit thicker than I like for my mug shaves. Despite that all went well. The Feather DX is heavier in hand than the SS model, and without the SS lip surrounding the blade shaves at a much more natural straight razor shave angle.. This razor is a definite keeper. The shave was sharper than yesterday’s shave with the Nichiri Tokusen straight razor which I attribute to the Feather Super blade. Despite that, the three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) sheared last night’s stubble right down to the skin line. I had one very minor set down error at the beginning of the shave because I began with the old Feather SS angle. Once I adjusted to a more traditional straight razor angle everything proceeded beautifully. The General delivered its usual flawless one and 1/2 pass (ATG, ATG) dome shave. I feel smooth, refreshed, cool, clean and velveteen! Enjoy your Labor Day shave brothers and sisters! Stay safe and healthy,

RAZOR: Feather DX Wood Scales (Mug), Colonial General V2 w/ Silversmith Handle (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug & Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Two Band Badger Knot
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

Sunday, 9/6:

View attachment 1151035
View attachment 1151036
View attachment 1151037

Razor - Merkur 34C
Blade - Tatra Platinum
Brush - Mojo Handcrafts 26mm Declaration B9A
Soap - Southern Witchcrafts Tres Matres
A/S - OneBlade balm

That was outstanding. I opted for a milder shave with the Merkur, and it was great on all fronts. I expected Southern Witchcrafts to be pretty good; I had no idea it was exceptional. The lather was an incredible dense cream that drank a lot of water, and could've drunk a lot more. Very slick, a ton of protection for the face, great post-shave. Scents is unique, somewhat unusual, but I'm digging it. The brush is really nice. The DG knot is very good, and the handle is a real looker. Great in hand, great performance. I'm really enjoying the Tatra blades; sharp enough to cut smoothly but they feel comfortable. Great pairing. What a nice leisurely Sunday shave.
Love that brush handle!

View attachment 1151424
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 7, 2020

Yesterday’s shave was spectacular, but I’ve been troubled that my Feather SS razor was creating bad shaving angle habits. So I borrowed my son, Ben’s DX Barber’s Razor that was literally covered in dust. He hadn’t used it in years apparently, and had no interest in ever using it again. After shaving with it, I traded him an old Triumph Spitfire overdrive transmission of mine he’s wanted that I’ll never use and that he plans to adapt for his Triumph GT. It was just taking up space in my garage. We’re both happy. He’s got a 50 yr old gummed up transmission and I have a practically brand new Feather DX. As my friend Bill Morgan (@Edison Carter) said, it shaves and feels much more like a straight than the SS model I’d been using. After loading it and my Colonial General V2 with Feather Supers I was ready.

This morning I decided to shave both face and dome with Nancy Boy Signature shave cream. I still really like this cream, although it’s a bit thicker than I like for my mug shaves. Despite that all went well. The Feather DX is heavier in hand than the SS model, and without the SS lip surrounding the blade shaves at a much more natural straight razor shave angle.. This razor is a definite keeper. The shave was sharper than yesterday’s shave with the Nichiri Tokusen straight razor which I attribute to the Feather Super blade. Despite that, the three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) sheared last night’s stubble right down to the skin line. I had one very minor set down error at the beginning of the shave because I began with the old Feather SS angle. Once I adjusted to a more traditional straight razor angle everything proceeded beautifully. The General delivered its usual flawless one and 1/2 pass (ATG, ATG) dome shave. I feel smooth, refreshed, cool, clean and velveteen! Enjoy your Labor Day shave brothers and sisters! Stay safe and healthy,

RAZOR: Feather DX Wood Scales (Mug), Colonial General V2 w/ Silversmith Handle (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug & Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Two Band Badger Knot
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

That knot looks so nice!

Excellent line-up, Steve!
Thank you Matt. I believe you mentioned something about the source of this artwork. I think I saw it in the Spiderverse movie in a brief clip. I really like this scent. Great stuff and very long lasting. Enjoy what is left of the Labor Day weekend my friend.
Steve

Phoenix Shaving | Terra Preta
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Copper Matrix | AP Shave Co. SynBad 30mm
Ever-Ready SE | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

proxy.php
Nice Matt. Excellent photo. Your brush is a perfect match. I passed on this set because it is the replacement for Dirt and I already have it. Have you tried Dirt? Is Terra Preta much different scent wise?
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom