What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" August 31st - September 6th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
9E55E854-B5D3-4242-9A76-6AF27496404D.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 5, 2020

What a glorious morning for an old school shave! I’m really beginning to like this Lush Prince shaving cream. It leaves my mug feeling incredibly good post shave, and I think it’s going to become a keeper for all my straight razor shaves. Unfortunately, it’s too thick for my dome shave with the Colonial General V2. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend it for any safety razor shaver, particularly, cart shavers as it has the consistency of cold cream. But that’s never a problem because of the wonderful MWF lather built with my Jayaruh #372 Boar. I’ve swapped handles between my Silversmith and General, and think I’ll keep things that way.

My son, Ben, gave me two beautiful CKBA Damascus Straight razor’s for Father’s Day this year. He’s an amateur bladesmith who had them made by a master bladesmith operating out of Arizona. The steel measures only a 58-59 on the Rockwell scale, and as the smith himself admitted won’t hold an edge as long as a Sheffield, Solingen or Silver Steel blade will, but since I regularly touch up my straight razors biweekly on my jasper finishing stone, it’s not an issue for me. They both yield a lovely edge that’s a pleasure to shave with.

My shave this morning was awesome. I’ve dedicated a cheap synthetic brush tospread the Lush Prince cream on my mug. It does a much better job than my fingers since it doesn’t lather up as there's no soap in it. My slow three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) face shave left me firmly ensconced in VBBS land. My one and 1/2 pass (ATG, ATG) noggin MWF shave delivered me to the same destination. When I began my straight razor journey it was with a great deal of trepidation given my mishap 5 yrs ago, but now I’m glad I did. There’s a leisurely, exactingquality to a good straight shave that I’ve really come to enjoy. I feel refreshed, clean, and really velveteen this morning! I wish all my shave brothers and sisters a great day today!

RAZOR: CKBA Damascus Koa Wood Scales 6/8 (Mug), Colonial General V2 Head mounted on Colonial Silversmith Handle (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube (Dome)
BRUSH: JR Custom Boar #372
SOAP/CREAM: Lush Prince Cream (Mug), Mitchell’s Wool Fat (Dome)
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings (Dome) followed by Humphrey’s Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

SEptember gets another shave from me today. I smell like a renaissance festival with all of this CBL Dragon's Blood and am loving it.

Razor: Schick Injector Type G V5
Blade: Yellow pack Schick (current production) (5)
Brush: Crabtree and Evelyn Pure Badger
Cream: CBL Master Barber Dragon's Blood
Splash: Aqua Velva Musk
Balm: CBL Post-Shave Oil, Dragon's Blood

full

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Sat Aug,5th 2020

Razor: Gem Damaskeene 1912 open comb- Mfg 1912-15, this razor design became the bedrock of Gem MFG with a few improvements and variants over a 30+yr span!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) Excellent blade,very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity & predictable.
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- nice scent great protection.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm syn "Sargrada Familia" creates great lather and has cloud like soft tips I enjoy.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor aftershave with wtch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my Gem Damaskeene OC
1912-15 razor. I like this razor because it hits my sweet spot finish for a daily shaver.

SE SOTD, Sat, Sept 5th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Razor: Gillette 1952 X1 Black Tip Super Speed
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Razor2: Schick Type O Injector
Blade2: Schick Plus Platinum
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
PSX_20200904_080211.jpg

Sotd 05th September 2020: 2+2+1= Fivebulous

sotd05092020.jpg

EJ316
MDC Original
LPL Fougere Asl
Simpsons Duke 1 Best
GSB blade
WTG+XTG

2 from France, 2 from Britain and 1 from Rusia equaled a fabulous shave.
No bells and whistles involved, just well made products which feel that they were designed with one goal in mind:
To shave well.

As a side note:
EJ316 may be light but it keeps proving me that that weight has nothing to do if the design is right, just like a good japanese knife.
I like the easiness of MDC when creating a lather. Load the brush, swirl --> Boom, lather. Does not care if water is hard, hot, or cold.

I decided to dig into the past again today (after yesterday's Mixed Midget revelation). Seeing it's Slantember I dug out my PBOCS, last used nearly three years ago!

SOTD
SOTD-PBOCS_2020-09-05.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: PBOCS (Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant) Stormtrooper
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (5)
ASL: Proraso Red

One great shave. :cornut:

I'd forgotten (but quickly remembered) how an extensive training session (four weeks in January 1917) with the PBOCS had improved my technique A LOT! Controlling this mighty lightweight (16½g loaded, 16g empty) was a little bit of a challenge to start with. When I'd finished my PBOCS training and moved back to "normal" weight DEs I noticed straight away how much my technique had improved.*

* Of course, my technique is still far from perfect... so I keep my SWB clean at all times. :wink2:

Saturday Night
C21BD3C2-0049-4AEC-87EB-C036B0A75ACB.jpeg

Pre: Stirling Black Cherry bath soap (shower)
Brush: EJ best badger
Razor: Parker Semi-slant
Blade: Astra SP (#4)
Soap: Barrister’s Reserve Fern
Post: Alum followed by Barrister’s Reserve Fern aftershave

Good shave tonight. Tried a different first pass direction on my right cheek and jaw and like it well enough that I’m going to stick with it a bit. First try with Barrister & Mann. Probably could have done a little better with the lather, but it was enough for a good shave with little feedback from the alum. Enjoyed the scent, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom