What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" August 27th - September 2nd, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Merkur Progress//ShaverJoe w/Muhle synthetic//Colonel Conk Lime//Fine Snake Bite + Pinaud Citrus Musk
Lovely green shave, Chris.

Razor: CG Level 2 SB Torpedo Antique Brass with Gillette 7 o'clock Black
Brush: Brad Sears Malachite and Cream Apolina 151 with 3 - band Super hybrid knot
Soap: GFT Eucris
AS: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Oh my, that is one fine handle supporting the Charcoal Goods head. Nice brush also.

Sunday SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Alumigoose V1
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (D7)
Brush: ThatDarnRob Navy 24mm BOSS
Bowl: Suribachi 5”
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Oil: Shea Moisture Iced
Shave Soap: Catie's Bubbles Bailey's Irish Coffee
Aftershave: Black Ship Grooming Captain Joe

Nicely themed pic, Guy. Really like that brush.

Razor: Karve "C" with Silver Star Super Stainless blade
Brush: Brad Sears Cream Apolina Magistrate with 3-band Special knot
Soap: Pre De Provence No 63
AS: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Love the soft toned B&W.

Catie's Bubbles for t/wetshaving | Dirty Prose
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
Ever-Ready SE | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

proxy.php
For someone who claims to have an intolerance to rose, I've certainly had my share of them lately. In reality, I do like rose fragrances. However, not all of them agree with me, and I still haven't quite isolated the reason. Sweet or dry doesn't seem to be the deciding factor. I've essentially resigned to the fact that if rose is quite forward in the fragrance I should probably avoid it. Otherwise, while I may enjoy the fragrance, if it's too forward---especially in warm weather---a rather intense and nauseating headache ensues. While it's a rather amateur way of handling this issue, I essentially avoid fragrances with "rose" in the title.

Dirty Prose seems self-explanatory, and possibly one I should avoid, even though Chris Cullen is one of my favorite artisans. Taking nothing from the redditor who contributed to the project, knowing that Chris maintained some creative control along with the fact that both Haitian vetiver and white grapefruit are among the architecture, I felt this was a relatively safe call. Besides, it was a way to support the r/wetshaving community, and should it not have worked out for me, it would have been easy to flip. After my first use today, I am happy to say this one won't be going anywhere.

I've previously commented on my impressions of Catie's Bubbles' Luxury Cream base, so I won't rehash it here except to reiterate that it continues to maintain its status among my preferred bases available today.

Straight out of the 98°F mailbox today, I cracked open the tub and was met with an excessively heavy and singular rose note. I let it cool off for a couple hours before using it, and it did not permeate the room as I had anticipated. However, the shower shave yields a best-case scenario (or worst, depending on your affinity) given the enclosure and the sweet, thick rose quickly filled the shower. It is a heavenly experience for sure. This rose does bow down rather quickly however in favor of the more earthy elements, but this never achieves "dirty" status in my assessment. (My gauge has forever been adulterated by the insidiously addictive "322" that truly displays Cullen's ability to sling Haitian vetiver with demonic acumen.) That said, the initial sweet aspect of the rose was obliterated by the earth right away. It is one of the more abrupt turns in a soap fragrance I've experienced. As the 2.5 pass head-and-face shave nears its end, a sharp and muted bitter citrus begins to pierce through the thick earthy and slightly smoky rose. If the soap had been my only exposure to the fragrance, I may have called this note bergamot. Yes, I was somewhat surprised that citrus was the latter element to make a showing. This is a well-blended and crafted story of a fragrance even in the confining construct of soap.

The splash and then the parfum both open in a similar fashion, but the citrus is more accurately identifiable as white grapefruit and maintains a lasting presence reminiscent of Catie's Bubbles' fifth anniversary production, "V". In fact, if you're a fan of "V", I would venture to say you'll like "Dirty Prose". That's not to say that these two are so similar that you only need one of them in your den. I'm just particularly drawn to the interplay between persistent grapefruit and the grounding of the smoky vetiver and then experience their crashing together to something greater than their parts. As should be expected, the parfum displays the ensemble in a more complete, yet protracted fashion. The parfum allows the sweet notes to come through more precisely with a controlled use of patchouli that's separated from other florals and fruits, whereas the soap alone simply represents these as nondescript, but still complex sweets. The dry down of the parfum is simply outstanding as it descends to a darker, spicy, essence that tugs along the surprisingly persistent grapefruit. I'm about 5 hours out now and the accord has plenty of life left as it's approaching a sharp, almost resinous nature.

Dirty Prose is a name that simply does not do this masterfully crafted fragrance justice. While I would have be completely content with a soap and splash set, I'm thrilled there was a parfum option as this is a fragrance that deserves the unabridged story.

Thank you Chris Cullen and r/wetshaving for the thoughtfulness and artistry exhibited in this project.
Stunning photo, Matt. Superb assessment. I still think your reviews need to be collected.

09/02/18 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Disney Resorts H2O+ Sea Salt Facial Soap
Crown King Alt-Eleven Shampoo & Conditioner Bar- w/ Prickly Pear, Neem Honey & Yucca Root
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
Cold River Soap Works Limenthol Select Shaving Soap
Wolf Whiskers RCE# 47 Custom Fluted DWW-3 25mm Black Wolf 3rd batch Synthetic hybrid/fan knot
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
RazoRock Black Hawk Single Edge Razor
Feather Artist Club Professional Blade - 2nd Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Homemade Lime Infused Witch Hazel
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ice Sage Aftershave/Cologne with Aloe, Alum & Menthol
Cold River Soap Works Limenthol Post Shave Lotion
The Sudsy Soapery 100% Natural Rain Deodorant

View attachment 909240
Quite an attractive arrayment, Steve.

SATURDAY SOTD ::::: September 1, 2018

Prep: Warm shower w/Gillette Fusion ProSeries Sensitive Face Wash
Pre-shave Jelly: Crown King Prickly Pear
Soap: PAA Gondolier (sample)
Brush: Matthew Marting (Brushguy) “1044” Black Onyx Soft Synthetic (BOSS) 24mm
Razor: PAA DOC Satin Finish
Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless (Green) (3)
Post Shave: Humphreys Cucumber Melon Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: PAA Gondolier Aftershave Jelly (sample)

2018-09-02-17-49-31.jpg

SUNDAY SOTD ::::: September 2, 2018
Prep: Warm shower w/Dove Men+Care Face Wash Hydrate+
Pre-shave Oil: van Yulay
Cream: The Art of Shaving Oud (sample)
Brush: Iron Town Razors Bumblebee water acrylic black synthetic fan 26mm
Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline
Blade: GEM Personna Super Stainless (4)
Post Splash: Humphreys Citrus Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: The Art of Shaving Oud

2018-09-02-17-41-21.jpg

Thank you Ron. Enjoyed the shave - trying to keep with the SE theme for the month, but will have a cart shave next week while traveling. Enjoy the long holiday weekend my friend.
Steve
I'm balancing a double theme this month: SEs and samples. Hope you and your family have a great holiday, Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom