What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" August 20th - August 26th, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australian Private Reserve Lixiviant//Druida Manchurian FAN//Asylum RX//Feather Professional//Pinaud Clubman Musk

proxy.php

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

"Catching up" from the vacation!
SOTD, August 12, 2018
Shower + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
D.R. Harris Arlington shave soap
Truefitt & Hill badger brush
Gillette Tech safety razor + Nacet blade
Cool washcloth rinse
DRH Arlington cologne

proxy.php

Monday
Pre-shave: Blind Barber Wild Watermint Gel Facial Cleanser
Razor: Rockwell 6S
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum
Brush: Stirling Boar
Soap: Barrister & Mann Unscented
Aftershave: Alum/ Dickinson’s Witch Hazel/Old Spice Smooth Blast
Balm: Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer

Razor: ’51 W2 Canadian Gillette Rocket
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Black
Brush: Whipped Dog Boar
Soap: Lakewood Smoky Mountain Rain
ASL: TabacaVeg

proxy.php

9EEE39BF-D000-43E1-9B22-AAD709335108.jpeg
1938 Gillette Sheraton replated by Chris at Back Roads Gold in 24k
RazoRock Plague Doctor SC & AS
Astra SS
Rocky Mountain Barber Company Best Badger
A fine start to the week!

Last edited:
West Coast Shaving | Oriental
RazoRock 400 | Noir Plissoft
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Schick Plus Platinum PTFE
Phoenix Shaving | Speakeasy

proxy.php

Once again, West Coast Shaving dodged a bullet. If you read my impressions of " Pear-Brrr Shoppe", you'll recall that despite my aversion to fruity fragrances, I rather enjoyed it, and can appreciate the artistry involve in its formulation. That said, since I don't particularly want to smell like the fruity fragrance, Pear-Brrr Shoppe will not be one of the splashes I purchase. The other soap that was coming my way was also unknown to me. Imagine my disbelief when "Oriental" arrived having "rose" listed as the first descriptor. I've noted countess times that even though I find rose fragrances to be appealing, I often have to avoid them because, in most cases, if the rose is forward enough, it will elicit a wave of nausea and headache. I simply have an intolerance to the fragrance, regardless of my affinity for it. Out of the 5 launch scents that West Coast Shaving is releasing, how did they manage to send me the 2 with which I'm most likely to have a problem?

When I cracked open the tub, I was met with a bold, but pleasant rose. Given that this was only a soap and the fragrance, if undesirable, wouldn't linger, I reluctantly elected to proceed. Fortunately, soon after loading, the rose element quickly acquired a woodiness and musk that continued to descend to a resinous, more classic oriental as the lather was built. Once the lather foundation was fully established, the dry fragrance hemmed in the rose to more of a labdanum characteristic. Labdanum is one of my favorite notes, and despite its absence from the documented scent notes, it's the impression I get. As the two-pass head-and-face shave progressed, the fragrance continued to darken and acquire even more resin and ancient dry wood notes. In light of this being a head-and-face shave, it should be noted my exposure to the soap is roughly 15 to 20 minutes, and towards the end I began to note some smoky spiciness reminiscent of Madagascar vanilla bean. This is truly a lovely fragrance, and I predict will be quite wearable for me. I will certainly be picking up the paired splash.

The soap base paired with my test tub of Oriental was Oleo Soapworks' Canard (duck fat) formula. This is a moderately firm soap that loads best with a fairly damp knot, but not saturated and dripping. While Canard is not prone to easy break down, excessive water is not necessarily required. A dense and slick low-profile lather is forthcoming, and this is precisely the sweet spot for this base. More water can be added for a more voluminous lather, but its optimal slickness can be found prior to that. First pass and residual slickness are high level, and post-shave is stellar as with all the top-shelf artisans. Bufflehead is my only other experience with a duck fat soap, and Oleo's Canard has always out-performed it by a significant margin.

Once again, a post product is not needed with a soap of this level, but I don't feel like I've finished my shave until I apply a splash. I opted to use Phoenix Shaving's "Speakeasy" splash which is about as far into rose I can safely tread, and even then, only in cool climates. Since this was an evening shave, I had no qualms using it as I'll be indoors for the remainder of the day. This was a good choice for a pairing, but any oriental would do. A daring alternative could also have been old-school Leeming Pfizer's Black Belt. That is, until I can pick-up the true paired splash when these West Coast Shaving offerings go on sale later this week.

Razor: CG Torpedo Level 2, antique finish with Gillette 7 o'clock Black blade
Brush: M&F L7 28 with Finest knot, English Butterscotch
Soap: TOBS Platinum shave cream
AS: Proraso Sensitive (the front label not on bottle).

sotd082018.jpg

08/20/18 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with The Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood and Citrus with Charcoal and Cocoa Soap
Crown King Alt-Eleven Shampoo & Conditioner Bar- w/ Prickly Pear, Neem Honey & Yucca Root
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements ICE Pre-Shave Soap
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Obsidian Small Batch Artisan Menthol Shave Soap
RazoRock 400 Solid Aluminum 24 x 57mm Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Mühle R41 Razor 2013 Head
Derby Extra Blade - 6th Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Homemade Lime Infused Witch Hazel
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Obsidian Menthol Aftershave Splash
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Unscented Post-Shave Menthol Balm
The Sudsy Soapery 100% Natural Rain Deodorant

B IMG_0723.jpg

08/21/18 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with The Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood and Citrus with Charcoal and Cocoa Soap
Crown King Alt-Eleven Shampoo & Conditioner Bar- w/ Prickly Pear, Neem Honey & Yucca Root
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Prickly Pear ATG Pre-Shave Soap
Captain's Choice Sandalwood Shaving Soap
RazoRock 400 Solid Aluminum 24 x 57mm Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements PHNX Injector Type L-1 Single Edge Razor – First Use
Installed Injector Blade? - 1st Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Homemade Lime Infused Witch Hazel
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Classic Sandalwood Aftershave Cologne with Alum
The Sudsy Soapery 100% All Natural Sandalwood & Citrus Creamy Aftershave Balm
The Sudsy Soapery 100% Natural Rain Deodorant

B IMG_0731.jpg

Relaxing SOTD: Gillette #16, Nacet, Stirling badger and soap. Slow strokes and hot water after a long day at work and college. Feeling refreshed.
20180820_223319.jpg

8/20/18 Late Night Shave

My go to as of late, I am not very adventurous. However I have a new brush, blades and soap coming in later this week. I am excited as my Simpson is the only brush I have ever used and I am excited to check out a boar brush from Italy, a blade from Russia and some soap from Maryland, USA. Until then...

Merkur 1904
Shark Super Chrome
Simpson B4 Pure Badger
Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave
Pinaud Clubman

Have a great week everyone.

Last edited:
SOTD : 21st August 2018.

9.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ L'OREAL~ Hydra Sensitive Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

Pears ~ Transparent Mint Extracts Glycerin Soap. /Bloom Water.

warm wet flannel to my face.

Brush: Erasmic ~ Pure Bristle.

Bowl Lather.

Soap: Cella.

Blade: Personna~Gem PTFE coated (5)

Razor: Ever-Ready 1912. (Eng)

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade Lime, Lemon+Peppermint Oil & Menthol Crystals Witch Hazel Mixture./ The Real Shaving Co.~Post Shave Soothing Balm.

Geoffrey Beene ~ Grey Flannel A/S.

Greetings,

The performance of the E-R 1912 razor felt amazingly efficient with the fifth and final use of the Gem PTFE blade, it feels more slighty more efficient than my 1912,(USA) but with the same smoothness. efficiency is important with a razor/blade match, but equally important for me personally, is smoothness. The Personna Gem PTFE Blade seems to be really suited to my skin type, i haven't get tried other SE blades,which is something i'll will do in the future, but for now i'll stick with the Personna GemPTFE coated blades. Another excellent smooth efficient 3 pass sublime shave with no errors to report...

Finishing the shave off with a generous splash of Geoffrey Beene ~ Grey Flannel A/S lotion...Wonderful stuff.

My face is feeling smooth refreshed, & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy your day, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Brush, RR big Bruce,
Razor, GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip,
Blade, CVS branded,
Soap, Atmotic PAA
Post, Maggards' Alum block, Thayers Aloe Vera whitch hazel,
AS balm, Atmotic PAA,

Excellent shave, no issues getting rid of 5 day stubble.
proxy.php

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

proxy.php

Mondial Boar -- Saponificio Varesino Cosmo -- Gillette Adjustable 195 -- Gillette Nacet -- Old Spice AS -- Stirling Spice balm

SOTD 21AUG18.JPG

68116FAE-D84A-4266-8A8A-BD55989C4E05.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

SOTD 21AUG18
Artesania Romera | REX Ambassador + Wizamet | Eufros​

I received these beauties yesterday; a 28 mm Pazzi in Red Hearth and a 26 mm Rustic Mini Barber, both brushes with the Manchurian fan knots. The knots have been test lathered and are already exhibiting very good backbone and extremely soft tips. The knots are also very dense. I am super happy to have these in my den and look forward to breaking them in.

SOTD - Tuesday 21 August 2018

proxy.php

• Straight Razor: Collin a Paris - 6/8
  • Shaving Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts & Declaration Grooming - B5 - LavRonze - 24mm Fan (Select Badger)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Cream: Meißner Tremonia - Lavendel Deluxe
  • Fragrance: Rebul - Lavanda

Pre: Warm water
Razor: Timeless with 0.68 gap plate
Blade: Astra Green SP
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk1
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: APR Coolabah
Sensational shave with the new Timeless.

IMG_3692.jpg

British Gillette red tip
Treet Special Steel
Yaqi Mew brown
Omega croap

Alovera gel
3P post shave cream
Arko comfort cologne

IMG_20180821_120055918_HDR~3.jpg

SOTD - Tuesday 21 August 2018

proxy.php

• Straight Razor: Collin a Paris - 6/8
  • Shaving Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts & Declaration Grooming - B5 - LavRonze - 24mm Fan (Select Badger)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Cream: Meißner Tremonia - Lavendel Deluxe
  • Fragrance: Rebul - Lavanda

That is a beautiful brush.

Patti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom