Ethos Succes shave soap
Ethos skin food a/s splash
Valentino Uomo Acqua eau de toilette
DA4444F1-D40F-44D9-9EAF-0BD6F1680D0B.jpeg

Date:- 21 August 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Maseto Beehive 'Horn' Tuxedo Synth. 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Whispers from the Woods (Australian made) ~ All Things Nice "Spiced Sandalwood & Honey"
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacet #15 .... finished
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)
Fragrance:- Proraso Wood & Spice
Tonight Tipple:- 1495 Blend Scotch Whisky

8/21/20
Art of Shaving Lavender Shave Soap
Zenith B16
Muhle R41 (2013)
Gillette 7:00 Yellow (3)
Osma Alum Block
Nivea Sensitive Cool Balm
Davidoff Cool Water
SOTD8-21-20.jpg

8/22/20
Tabac
Zenith B16
11/16 Ed Wusthof #83
Tony Miller 3" Steerhide Strop
Osma Alum Block
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Art of Shaving Kingsman Bourbon Balm
Dolce & Gabbana The One
SOTD8-22-20.jpg

4F738A48-EC23-4CA2-A578-B2F20FF80A30.jpeg

SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, AUGUST 22, 2020

Well, I confirmed my suspicions. The Dilucot method, originally developed as a way of honing razors using a single stone (Belgian Coticule) and a series of slurries of decreasing grit dilutions also works beautifully with my jasper stone. I used a coarse DMT plate to generate the slurries which are then successively diluted until finally one is honing with just water alone. In the case of my Double Duck, my son, Ben, had already set a great bevel. When I examined the edge he’d built with his 30k stone using a 60x jeweler’s loupe, I noticed metal feathers along its length. There was no need to go through the full process. So I very gently ran the edge over the face of the fine side of my jasper hone.

Reexamination with the loupe revealed the flattening and or elimination of the chaff I’d observed earlier along the entire length of the edge on both sides. For the next task I built a very thin slurry with the DMT plate and did 40 circles (20 clockwise & 20 counterclockwise) followed by 20 back and forth strokes. I then finished in water using back and forth strokes until the blade began to stick to the face of the stone. The blade passed the tomato slicing test and was popping hairs to beat the band at that point. I lathered up and discovered that I’d built the kind of buttery smooth edge that was a joy to shave with. I’ll admit that I really enjoyed the process of building an edge that I liked which then delivered me to VBBS land on my mug both above and below the jawline.

The Silversmith with the same Feather blade as yesterday shaved every bit as well as my new Tradere. An examination and comparison of the two head geometries revealed a very similar design. In any case my dome shave today was the usual 1 1/2 pass (ATG, ATG) VBBS. I feel cool, clean, and amazingly velveteen. My MrEE 007 brush performed in its usual superb fashion throughout the shave. The cooling MWF lather was a delight to shave with, as usual. I have four pucks of the stuff, so I’m set for the next few years. It’s a beautiful, sunny day here in the Philadelphia suburbs. I wish all my shave brothers and sisters a great day!

Tomorrow is the actual test of the DiluJasper method from bevel set through finish. I purchased a Puma Solingen razor for virtually nothing ($5), yesterday evening from a local cutlery dealer in Adamstown, PA who complained that he was never able to get a decent edge from it. Ben was with me by phone and encouraged me to buy it. He suspected the blade may be slightly warped and that’s why it may have not yielded to a standard honing progression. Well it failed the tilt ‘n wobble test revealing that it definitely needed a bevel set. Ben, after examining it, felt that I should set the bevel on the 1000 grit Chosera stone and then complete the honing on my jasper stone using decreasing slurry dilutions. So that’s the project for tomorrow’s mug shave. My first complete honing job from bevel set to finish on a problematic straight razor.

RAZOR: Double Duck Goldedge (Mug), Colonial Silversmith (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime AS Splash and Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD Sat, Aug 22nd 2020

Razor: Razorock Game changer .84- Great mid range(milder on Mid range side IMO) with the Kai SS blade,
Blade: KAI SS (10) sharp and smooth with signs of longevity(Still testing).009 inch wider than a standard blade.
They should of maybe called this blade a Game changer.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- nice citrus scent with great later qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft black whiskers- Reminds me of a nice boar brush broke in with soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Amici aftershave with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave this morning with my RR GC ,84 + KAI SS (Blade-changer:lol:)

DE SOTD, Sat,Aug 22nd 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!Stay & think safe in these times!

Saturday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: Steampunk Slim Adjustable I-4 (S5)
Blade: Bolzano Superinox (D01)
Brush: Spalted Maple w 24mm Super Silvertip
Bowl: HoneycombCopper 4 ½”
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGLO Lime
Pre-Shave Butter: Mickey Lee Lime
Shave Soap: Pyrate’s Cove Bay Rum
Balm: Stirling's Bay Rum Butter
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum

Mueller Solingen 4/8 Fine extra hollow/Sensor3
Yaqi Segrada Familia
Mondial 1908 Antica Barberia Original Citrus
Alum
Witch Hazel
DR Harris Eau de Portugal
RR XXX AS

The Eau de Portugal and XXX were both new arrivals so I tried both, applying the Eau de Portugal on the face too.

SOTD-B_2020-08-22.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
ASL: Proraso Red

Another great shave. :cornut:

I have that comfortable "minimalist" feeling at the moment, but I'm probably too fickle for it to last. :letterk1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom