What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" April 6th - April 12th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soap : Noble Otter – Thé Noir et Vanille
SvdD : 09-04-2020
Razor : Merkur 20C
Blade : Astra Green – Superior Platinum (3)
Brush : Omega - EVO Silvertip fibre - Special Veteran
Aftershave : Noble Otter – Thé Noir et Vanille
Eau de Cologne : Thierry Mugler - Cologne

09082020.jpeg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Thursday‌ ‌04.09.20‌ ‌SOTD‌

DSCF0002 - Edited.jpg

Gillette‌ ‌'56‌ ‌B4‌ ‌Red‌ ‌Tip‌ ‌Super-Speed‌ ‌
Astra‌ ‌Superior‌ ‌Platinum‌ ‌(2)‌ ‌
Vintage‌ ‌Kingsley‌ ‌(Austria)‌ ‌Pure‌ ‌Badger‌ ‌
Williams‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌vintage‌ ‌mug‌ ‌
Aqua‌ ‌Velva‌ ‌Aftershave‌ ‌(Spanish‌ ‌Version)‌ ‌by‌ ‌Williams‌

DSCF0004 - Edited.jpg

Thu 9 SOTD
Soap Colonel Conk Lime
Bowl Green Nubs
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake
Razor Parker Semi Slant
Blade SuperMax Stainless 1st
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers
Clubman GentsGin
Great lather from the bowl as usual! Mild lime scent. Thick and slick. Shave with razor and blade was a good combo. Smooth and sharp but still suffers weepers :confused1 was ever so light and careful
3+1pass ATG, XTG & XTG/ATG
Ice water rinse followed by special Thayers. A very nice and enjoyable shave though. BBS results but rating 9/10
20200409_095725.jpg

20200409_102400.jpg

Thursday, 4/9:

20200409_094046.jpg

Razor - Fatip Piccolo SE closed comb
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Paladin PK-47 "Lapis Lazuli" 26mm 2-band select badger

I recently picked up a soap lot that included Stirling Executive Man soap, splash, and balm, so I figured why not, let's go full lineup today. The brush generated a heck of a lather from Stirling. Easy to fully hydrate; glossy and thick; excellent glide, residual, and post shave. What else is there to say? Stirling is just a superb soap. The fact that they make such a good product for so low a price is kind of amazing. Scent strength was about a 5-6 maybe, which is appropriate since the Creed Aventus scent in general is somewhat intense by its very nature. Went at it with the razor, and was surprised to find that the Astra was not as smooth as I was expecting. Blade alignment and everything was fine, but it was definitely less smooth than yesterday's Voskhod and the Shark I used before that. I've had Astras like this before, where the first shave with it is not as smooth as subsequent shaves. There was a bit of a rough feel throughout the shave that was a little disappointing. But the results, wow. Glass-smooth shave, no nicks/irritation/redness, so I can't complain. I never normally use an alcohol-based splash these days, so the sting took me back to first shaving at 16 or 17. The balm goes on a little thicker than I like, but it felt really nice. Great shave, and I smell like a million bucks. 😀

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Thur April 09th

Razor: Gem Micromatic Flying wing, MMBT, guiding eye..... MFG 1947-50, a smooth razor and a excellent daily driver!
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) excellent blade in all ways known.
Soap: Razorock XXX - very enjoyable scented soap with great lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm Sagrada Familia named after a great Cathedral in Barcelona Spain.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch Hazel +Nivea for Men balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Smooth great shave!Hit my sweet spot target!

SOTD, Thursday April 09th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Well, I did, sort of. I'd purchased the knot some time ago, and found it the other day when straightening up, and decided it needed a handle. So, I went to CaYuen, a shop out of Lafayette, Louisiana, on Etsy and picked up the handle. At the point, it was just a matter of gluing them together.

CaYuen Workshop makes great brush handles. His recent output has been some of his best work yet. Both acrylic and wood handles are phenomenal. The only thing I would say is, I think he has his best badger and silvertip knots mixed up. First brush I ordered from him over the summer was a best badger, and I got a gelled silvertip knot. Second time, I ordered a silvertip and got what was clearly a best. Even the pictures showing his knot selection has them backwards. So just know that if you ever get a knot installed. I've thought about saying something to him about it, but I dunno, I'd feel presumptuous telling someone who actually makes brushes that they have their knots backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom