What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" April 6th - April 12th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Easter Sunday Schick Shave, Took out my Stick Schick and still testing this new Schick twin that has been in this razor since bought. The twin ll is a marathon blade and has some life still in it after 30 shaves it has performed.

Razor : Stick Schick injector thyme L series-MFG 1973- gives a good close shave with a Twin blade IMO.
Blade : Schick Twin ll injector (30) (Japanese MFG?) good blade to try if not susceptible to in-grown hairs.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore.- one of my favorites with great scent and lather qualities!
brush: Yaqi wolf whiskers 24 mm- nice brush to use.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Fine Fresh Vetiver :001_wub: with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea Men balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17: Great Easter Sunday shave today!

Sunday shave, April 12th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen

Easter Sunday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: Supply Provision The Single Edge Matte
Blade: Schick (D7)
Brush: Montalvo 25mm Black Wolf
Scuttle: TheMudPlace Big Daddy Oiled Mahogany
Pre-Shave Scrub: Tiki Soap 1920s Barber Shoppe
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Mandarin and Cardamom
Shave Soap: Wholly Kaw Dance of Agrumes SE
Balm: Wholly Kaw Dance of Agrumes SE
Aftershave: Wholly Kaw Dance of Agrumes SE

Outstanding! Just outstanding!

5FA54DEA-310C-4047-A2FA-BB4EC89F7476.jpeg
18E78D3D-5631-4DB3-801B-147BAC7D0C8F.jpeg
D52FAA11-2855-4140-AFD6-42AD0FF8731C.jpeg

SOTD Easter Sunday 04/12/2020

Happy Easter to all! Although I wasn’t planning this shave today, I’m participating in a razor pass around featuring two adjustable razors designed and built by one of the members (@twhite) at The Shave Den, my regular wet shaving hangout. The TAR (Tom’s Adjustable Razor) package consists of two razors, a hefty brass razor and a black aluminum one with a black guncote finish. The brass razor weighs 5.5 oz or 155.9 grams. It’s not a lightweight. The aluminum version weighs in at 55 grams. The OC razor head design reminds me of French Cage Head razors while the overall design is similar to the Gibbs adjustable complete with the 6 point adjustment scale, although the handle is thicker in proportion to the head. Unlike the Gibbs the TAR accommodates modern SS blades that require no modification. I’ll be shaving with the brass razor for the next 4 or 5 days and then will switch to the aluminum for approximately the same number of days. All of my shaves will consist of both head and face shaves, and will use a Suneko DE blade.

For this first shave, I used Lucky Tiger Cream Soap salted with 6 drops of M-Bomb and my Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute brush with a 24mm Badger/Boar hybrid knot. Before lathering up for the first pass, I prepared for the shave with my usual cold water rinse. Prior reviewers commented on the weight of the brass razor, but it seemed to work quite well for shaky old me. In fact, the weight counterbalanced my tremors and allowed me to focus on shave technique. In hand the razor reminds me of my Famex and Le Coq Cage head razors. I took my time with the first WTG pass using short careful strokes with razor set on 4. That initially felt a bit much in the first few strokes, so I dialed it down to 3 which felt right to me. Although the handle felt a bit thicker than I was used to, I quickly grew used to it. Finally, the overall feel of the razor was well-balanced in hand, allowing for the easy provision of ‘negative pressure’.

After lathering up for my second XTG pass, I adjusted the razor down a full step initially to 2, and then back to 2.5 for the second face pass due to a perceived loss of efficiency. When I do a three pass shave, I only do the face on the second pass, restricting the dome shaves to the first and third passes. The razor’s weight, coupled with my new ability to focus only on shave technique, and not tremors, thanks to said weight, left me with only some selective buffing on both face and dome for the third ATG pass. Tom, you may not realize it, but you’ve designed the ideal razor for shaky oldsters. This was a great introductory shave. I never expected to achieve a face and head BBS with this first shave, but that's what happened. I feel clean, smooth, cool, refreshed, and ready for Easter dinner, albeit virtually with my family. Happy Easter to all of you sheltering in place! May God bless you all with safety and health!

RAZOR: TAR (Tom’s Adjustable Razor) in Brass
BLADE: Suneko DE (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 24mm Hybrid Badger/Boar Knot
SOAP: Lucky Tiger Cream Shave w/ 6 Drops M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum

Japanese razors are highly appreciated by me: All the ones I've tried (maybe a hundred) shave really well. And there are very beautiful ones.
Wow..!! A hundred...wow!! I agree some of the Japanese SR is very beautiful. I love straight razors as well and love to see straight shaving on utubes. I just must hear that feedback a straight makes...absolutely absorbing and captivating. I have 3 straights myself but unfortunately do not have the fortitude and skills to make mine properly shavable....hahahaha! Save me some $$$ as I would have dive into that rabbit hole...

Sunday, 4/12:

20200412_135114.jpg

Razor - Razorock Lupo DLC stainless
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Muhle Classic ivory 23mm Silvertip Fibre
Soap - Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
A/S - Proraso Blue

Whoa, this shave rocked! I wanted to use the Nuavia again and really dial in the lather, and this time got MUCH better results. I actually followed the directions and measured out 3g of soap, separately measured out 7g of water to be able to eyeball how much that would be, then added water by eye to the lather in the bowl more slowly then last time. What I got was a sublime lather: really creamy/silky, gooey thickness, soft springy peaks, and it did in fact acquire a sheen to it. It develops into a lovely light beige color. It was basically exactly what I was looking for. The Silvertip Fibre feels great to begin with, and painting on this silky smooth lather with it felt awesome. My first time with the Lupo was incredible. WOW is this a smooth razor. Paired with the Astra, the glide was great and blade feel is low to medium. The DLC does cause a little drag; nothing really consequential though. My face is insanely smooth and skin is very soft thanks to great post-shave. Yup, this soap is excellent, and so is the razor. Fantastic.

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: RazoRock Game Changer with .84 head & Barber pole handle
Blade: Astra Green
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Tabac original Cream
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.
Awesome Easter Sunday shave. You can't go wrong with the GC84.

View attachment 1085769

How is the tobac cream vs the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom