Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday, 5/2

20210502_183105.jpg

Razor - Eclipse Red Ring
Blade - Gillette Nacet
Brush - Declaration Grooming "Nebula" 28mm B3
Soap/AS - PAA Immortal Peach

First experience with the Eclipse Red Ring. I started with it tightened all the way, and it was very smooth but the optimal angle for me seemed to be a little shallower than I like. So I opened it up a little more, and got more blade feel but still pretty smooth, and the angle was more my preferred neutral angle. It gave a very nice, close shave. I'll keep playing around with it, but so far I like it.

Razor: Mühle R102
Blade: Lord - New Platinum (2)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD-Fan) 24mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Green Tea Foam Cleanser
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Strike Gold Shave - "Happyland Barbershop"

238B5A51-B7EC-4A46-AA4D-FC1A0EB836F1.jpeg

She loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not?
Okay, we’ll start off with the fact that this razor is really a Mühle R41 head with a white resin handle. Some people are terrified of the R41, and some love it. I myself have never been scared of it, I have other razors that are more agressive. This razor can bring me to a BBS faster than any razor I own. My problem is that I’m not sure if I really enjoy the shave itself.
No matter what blade or angle I use, especially on my neck, it feels tuggy like a shaving with a dull old blade. In spite of that, when I feel my neck afterwards, it’s as smooth and clean as can be. Post shave face feel is also nice with no irritation.
I was wondering if blade flex was the problem, so I shimmed the top, which will not affect the blade gap, only stiffen the edge. That didn’t seem to change anything so I’m stuck with the decision if getting a fast super efficient close shave is worth the unenjoyable tugging and pulling sensation. I know this isn't just me as I have read many other reviews that other R41 owners have this exact same problem.
Try riding the top cap of the R41, shallow angle handle away from the face, steep angle, handle closer to the face can cause a lot of tugging and scraping.

Make sure your lather is nicely hydrated and slick to allow a smoother glide when riding the top cap, you’ll feel the blade edge smoother in shallow angle with the R41.

Sunday shave

5375C02E-E0A2-452A-AF78-D3693A7AD4EC.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Col. Conk Lime
Brush: Shavemac two-band
Razor: Schick Injector Type E3, #5
Blade: Schick (China), #5

Better shave than last night--no blood. Two passes for DFS face/CCS neck. Some feedback from the alum, but not too bad. Really good lather from the Col. Conk--and a great scent, too. Nice combo with the Captain's Choice.

Saturday, 5/8

20210508_200240.jpg

Razor - Gillette Fatboy
Blade - Gillette Nacet
Brush - That Darn Rob "Martian" 26mm v1 Lancaster
Soap/AS - Talbot Shaving Island in the Sun

Killer. Software scent is terrific, and the lather it produces is very good. The knot in the brush was tremendous. The Fatboy was excellent; very smooth shaver, nice and weighty, love the way it fits in my hand. I don't think I'm gonna keep my Slim anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom