What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" April 1st - April 7th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this Durham razor in my collection for sometime now but never gave it a run. I picked up a few Personna blades that were compatible from Try a Blade shortly after receiving, but only gave one a run on my OC Durham. Seeing Matt Hilton's shave with his beautiful Enders razor inspired me to give it another go. It was a PITA but I did manage to Strop the Personna blade about 20 times each side per tips I've read online. I have not shaved in a good day and half so my naturally coarse, thick stubble was on point. First pass was tuggy but nothing uncomfortable. Had I not skipped time between shaves I'm sure it would have been a lot smoother. Part way through I held the razor slightly off horizontal so that it acted more like a slant which was a great improvement. 2nd and 3rs pass was much smoother and awarded me a BBS Shave with no nicks, weapers, or irritation. Definitely look forward to playing with this razor a little more. The fantastic soap and splash needs no introduction! ;)
proxy.php

1 April 2019

Lancaster Razor Works Bowl ~ Blackland Sabre + GEM ~ Wolf Whiskers

GD Preshave ~ Tallow + Steel Dark Two ~ GD Postsave Serum ~ Tallow + Steel Dark Two AS

TS Dark2 Use.jpg

225A3411-93AE-468F-ADF4-05C62C38A537.jpeg
Well another A’crat was on the agenda for this morning but I decided to make it a Merkur Monday instead. Today’s choice the venerable 34G loaded with its perfect match, the Kai Super Stainless.

Soap of choice was purchased by Mrs. Somnos on a whim Col Conks Lime glycerin shaving soap. She was eyeballing the Amber also but as she had two tubes of Proraso Blue in the cart for me already she decided to forego it. The Old Spice mug is a new addition to the Den also that Mrs S found for a whopping $3! Love that Mrs S!

Proceeded to lather up with Col Conk lime and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the scent was. The APShave Co Silksmoke is a fantastic knot and whipped a very plentiful and slick lather. Three pass BBS shave was achieved. Grabbed the Elvado Wild Mint Lime balm to finish it off and added a shot of B&BW Citron to start the day. Happy Merkur Monday and happy shaves all!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Kai Super Stainless
Brush: APShave Co. 24mm Silk Smoke
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Lotion
Lather: Col Conk Lime
Aftershave: Elvado Wild Mint Lime
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Old Spice Shaving Mug
Bath & Body Works Citron

SOTD, Monday, April 1st, 2019

Shower at gym + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
Trumper's almond shave soap
Simpson badger brush
Puma 5/8" straight razor
Cool washcloth rinse
Alt Innsbruck cologne

proxy.php

Thank you, sir.
And that’s a handsome new Sabre you got there. Hope you are enjoying it.
What’s your verdict on the Dark Two?

Patti

Thank you and yes, I really enjoyed using the Sabre for the first time.

I'm not a professional reviewer so please bear with me as I write the following comments:

I'm still getting whiff's of the AS after several hours. Every time I smell it, it smells a bit different. but very enjoyable and pleasing. Coffee, cocoa, a hint of vetiver, a touch of ginger and in the background a bit of peppermint. I'm not sure if the scent would be for everyone, but I certainly enjoyed it. Splash/Balm left the face feeling soft and supple with no dryness or irritation.

The V3 version soap loaded easier onto my brush than the previous V2 versions but is still a very thirsty soap. When I got it dialed in, the lather resembled a thick yogurt. The slickness of the soap seems to be improved from the earlier versions and is elite in both primary slickness and residual slickness. For me, what really stood out above all else was the post shave feel and provided the best post shave experience I have had to date with T+S soaps.

Hope this helps.

20190401_085435.jpg

Hot Shower

Bull Dog Face Scrub
Pre-Shave - Just for Men's "Best Beard Oil Ever"
Tabac Original
Omega 49 Professional
Gillette Flair Tip
Astra Premium Stainless blade
Duke Cannon After Shave Balm

Pinaud Clubman is in the picture, but after using the Duke Cannon (for the first time,) I decided that was sufficient. I’ll not use the Bull Dog face scrub again. It smells exactly like the Fast Orange that I use to clean my hands after working on my motorcycle. I don’t think I’ll PIF it either. I’ll probably just take it out to the barn.

For my last two shaves I had used Derby Premium blades. I experienced some neck irritation in an area that is usually difficult to achieve a satisfactory result due to weird growth patterns. However with the Astra blade, I got a better shave with no irritation.

Pre-Shave: Coconut Oil
Lather: Cella
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Razor: Gillette New Improved / Treet Carbon (Black Beauty) (1)
Witch Hazel + Tea Tree Oil
Balm: Nivea Sensitive
Cologne: Murray & Lanman Florida Water
IMG_1696.JPG

Today's Music: Zappa/Mothers 'Meat Light' (The complete Uncle Meat) (1968)
IMG_1701 (2).JPG

01 April 2019
Karve B
Rapira Platinum Lux (10)
Semogue TSN 2018 Boar LE
Dr. Jon’s Hydra
TIGI

I finally have some warm water in the sink with this faucet heater.
IMG_20190401_190856.jpg
IMG_20190401_191451.jpg

4/1/19
Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shave Cream
Art of Shaving in Fine Badger
Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Gillette 7:00 Yellow (4)
RazoRock Alum Stick
Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods
Haslinger Sandalwood Balm
Dolce & Gabbana The One
SOTD4-1-19.jpg

Tuesday SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Schick Repeating Razor C2
Blade: Schick (D2)
Brush: Brad Sears w Envy White 26mm horn
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Patchouli & Mint
Shave Soap: Grooming Dept Before The Fire (Barbershop)
Aftershave: Floid Blue

SOTD
RAZOR: Timeless Bronze. 38 (head) Timeless Ti. 95 open for face.
SOAP: Pereira
BLADE: Astra SP x2
BRUSH: Simpson Chubby 2 Best.
Great shave!

Attachments

• 20190331_141648.jpg
    20190331_141648.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Monday

‘65 English Tech
Nacet (8th use)
VdH Boar