What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" April 12th - April 18th, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday,April 12th 2021

Razor: Gem 1912 NOS- Mfg 1921ish, excellent razor, easy to manipulate around face, good results usually. Gem MFG sold millions of variants over the decades because they where just that good IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) excellent blade charteristic's, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Speick- nice spicy scent, excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi boar brush 24mm- after break in method and losing some hairs on the 1st & 2nd cleaning it is performing very well and happy to have a few brushes for a different change of feel while lathering. A few brushes on the way!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem 1912 with a coated Gem blade.(it does not get much better for a shave today)

GEMonday, April 12th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

20210405_134713-01-01.jpeg

SOTD #102/2021
12-04-2021

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Black Ship Grooming ~ Thomas Tew
Razor: Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 Jaws
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (7)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS and psb.

Have some great shaves, Gents!

Mon SOD vign.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap
AoS Sandalwood Tallow Formula
Brush
Paladin Chief
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
UK Aristocrat
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASG
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10.
Comments
Another excellent shave. This is one vintage Gillette that is a winner

A4C12FBD-C843-46D4-B8D1-8BECE7CEDE2B.png

SOTD MONDAY MORNING, APRIL 12, 2021

Up early again, this time with a feline emergency. One of my wife’s three cats was attacked by a coyote and needed to be rushed to the local Veterinary Emergency service by yours truly. He’s in pretty bad shape. The coyote was sent to join his ancestors, and yours truly has a township gun ordinance violation to deal with thanks to my coyote-loving new neighbor! Mitten’s a good cat, but it doesn’t look good! After returning home, I needed a pick-me-up. So I grabbed my 160 year old Boker French Point and my Christopher Bradley safety razor from Karve.

This old Boker just feels so good in hand, and despite the softer English cast steel needing more frequent touch ups than some of my other straights, the edge always feels buttery smooth on my mug. The regular three pass mug shave checked all the boxes as did the two pass ATG dome shave with the Karve. I’d stopped using the Karve because of my tendency to nip my ear with the exposed tabs, but since getting the wide body top cap it’s no longer a concern. I feel a bit pissed off, but otherwise clean, refreshed and dolphin smooth!

RAZOR: H. Boker & Co. French Point (Mug), Karve Safety Razor with D_OC Plate (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute with 26mm Tuxedo Synth Ferrule
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PAA Frost Byte AS/Cologne.

MONDAY
PRE: bloom water
RAZOR: Gillette ‘32 New SC Gold Common Bar
BLADE: NOS Wlkinson Sword made in England
BRUSH: Yaqi‌ ‌Moka‌ ‌Express‌ ‌26mm‌ ‌2-Band‌ ‌
SOAP: Groming Dept. Amare - Kairos + Lamb Tallow

proxy.php
All I can say is ‘wow’, Jim! Awesome effect!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1250366
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, APRIL 12, 2021

Up early again, this time with a feline emergency. One of my wife’s three cats was attacked by a coyote and needed to be rushed to the local Veterinary Emergency service by yours truly. He’s in pretty bad shape. The coyote was sent to join his ancestors, and yours truly has a township gun ordinance violation to deal with thanks to my coyote-loving new neighbor! Mitten’s a good cat, but it doesn’t look good! After returning home, I needed a pick-me-up. So I grabbed my 160 year old Boker French Point and my Christopher Bradley safety razor from Karve.

This old Boker just feels so good in hand, and despite the softer English cast steel needing more frequent touch ups than some of my other straights, the edge always feels buttery smooth on my mug. The regular three pass mug shave checked all the boxes as did the two pass ATG dome shave with the Karve. I’d stopped using the Karve because of my tendency to nip my ear with the exposed tabs, but since getting the wide body top cap it’s no longer a concern. I feel a bit pissed off, but otherwise clean, refreshed and dolphin smooth!

RAZOR: H. Boker & Co. French Point (Mug), Karve Safety Razor with D_OC Plate (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute with 26mm Tuxedo Synth Ferrule
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PAA Frost Byte AS/Cologne.
You sure live a interesting life, there seems to be always something happening to throw off your shave. All the best!

Blackland Brass Blackbird sb, Personna Lab Blue, MDC Huile vegetale, C&H Synbad, Crabtree & Evelyn Moroccan myrrh shaving ×AYLM Matteo 9,11, Lucky Tiger, Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad edt.
I bought this set mainly for the edt the soap smell amazing but even a heavily loaded Synbad produced only enough lather for a quick 2 pass shave before it began to dissapate,grating my neglected AYLM Matteo(very mild Frankincense & Myrrh scent) with the Crabtree has improved the performance no end.
IMG_20210410_181729.jpg

Monday shave

78FBE26F-2AED-4DB5-B587-B3DD8ECFEA28.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 in Best
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto, #5
Blade: Durablade Sharp 7 am Plus Super Platinum, #2

Two-passes only resulting in DFS on my face and a mix of CCS and SAS on my neck. A little less feedback tonight, but still not a comfortable shave. The MITA was a highlight, as was the Astor.

Tuesday SOTD

Razor: Occam Razor SE
Blade: Schick Proline (D9)
Brush: ThatDarnRob Navy 24mm BOSS
Bowl: Buffalo Horn 6”
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGLO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Mojito
Shave Soap: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy
Balm: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
Aftershave: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy

Status
Not open for further replies.