What's new

SOTD first time 1912 edition.

With extra time on my hands after a few video meetings were lifted from my schedule, I decided to mix things up a bit. I have worked to get a decent collection of GEM SE razors assembled but have not yet taken the time for T&E of each one. So far, I have about a dozen total SE shaves under my belt with MMOC, CLOG-PRUF, MMFW, G-BAR and a FEATHER WEIGHT. In my stable I still have 3 SEs that I have not used, an ENDERS SPEED(I know, not a GEM), GEM JR and a 1912.

Today was the day for the 1912. I had no preconceptions about how this razor shaves in comparison to other GEMs and in my experience these are very much an YMMV line of razors. So lathered up my trusty and timeless Tabac and set to work. I initially assumed the shave was going to be awkward because the 1912 head seems so large and bulky, but to my surprise this razor felt rather nimble and I had no issues getting under my nose. I also found this to be much more forgiving with angle, assuming it was intended to be used like the others and close to flat against the face. I took this from near flat to near the 30 degrees of the DE and didn’t perceive a massive increase in aggression. I completed a 2 pass WTG shave and pick ups on my neck and jaw line and came out with a great shave.

The 1912 really surprised me, and I foresee myself pulling this guy out a bit more than others in the future. One of the most surprising results from this experience was the pick up pass on my neck as I get irritation very easily in this area and I actually find the GEM SEs to be more uncomfortable to use in this area. However, I got a good close shave and have no discomfort or visible irritation post shave.

A682860B-F86F-4639-8672-EB0E1218CFEC.jpeg

I have that same razor and I have one shave with it. It went well and I plan on using it more in future. The shave is very much like that of an injector.

With extra time on my hands after a few video meetings were lifted from my schedule, I decided to mix things up a bit. I have worked to get a decent collection of GEM SE razors assembled but have not yet taken the time for T&E of each one. So far, I have about a dozen total SE shaves under my belt with MMOC, CLOG-PRUF, MMFW, G-BAR and a FEATHER WEIGHT. In my stable I still have 3 SEs that I have not used, an ENDERS SPEED(I know, not a GEM), GEM JR and a 1912.

Today was the day for the 1912. I had no preconceptions about how this razor shaves in comparison to other GEMs and in my experience these are very much an YMMV line of razors. So lathered up my trusty and timeless Tabac and set to work. I initially assumed the shave was going to be awkward because the 1912 head seems so large and bulky, but to my surprise this razor felt rather nimble and I had no issues getting under my nose. I also found this to be much more forgiving with angle, assuming it was intended to be used like the others and close to flat against the face. I took this from near flat to near the 30 degrees of the DE and didn’t perceive a massive increase in aggression. I completed a 2 pass WTG shave and pick ups on my neck and jaw line and came out with a great shave.

The 1912 really surprised me, and I foresee myself pulling this guy out a bit more than others in the future. One of the most surprising results from this experience was the pick up pass on my neck as I get irritation very easily in this area and I actually find the GEM SEs to be more uncomfortable to use in this area. However, I got a good close shave and have no discomfort or visible irritation post shave.

View attachment 1087644

1912........that was my very first GEM.

they are nice indeed.

camo

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I just one an auction for a Star lather catcher. Do you guys know if I need an adapter to use Gem blades?
Depends on the model of Star. A pic would help, but the short and easy answer is if it has blade stops, you'll be able to use a modern day Gem blade, if it doesn't, you'll need an adapter. Something's got to stop the blade from popping out the front....either blade stops or a thick body of a wedge blade that "wedges" into the side clips and keeps it from going forward.

Flintstone65

View attachment 1087644
Congrats, Rusty!!! The 1912 was one of my later discoveries....I too started with the MMOC and other later (and earlier) models, and the 1912 gives a nice almost "automatic" shave....it's easy to use and you can't argue with the results.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
They're really nice razors. You're also right that it's YMMV! Sometimes it leaves a little more behind for me than other razors, but that comes with the benefit of a comfortable, irritation-low shave.

O.H.

Depends on the model of Star. A pic would help, but the short and easy answer is if it has blade stops, you'll be able to use a modern day Gem blade, if it doesn't, you'll need an adapter. Something's got to stop the blade from popping out the front....either blade stops or a thick body of a wedge blade that "wedges" into the side clips and keeps it from going forward.
It looks to me like it has blade stops. It does need a good cleaning!
Sorry if I hijacked the thread.
20200416_150519.jpg

Flintstone65

It looks to me like it has blade stops. It does need a good cleaning!
Sorry if I hijacked the thread.
View attachment 1087808
Looks good! The side clips are spring-loaded, and the back-clip looks like it's in good condition, and the blade stops look solid as well. I'm guessing it will clean up well. One last suggestion, if you use GEM SS PTFE blades, I would use a slightly used blade rather than a brand new one. And now I'm hi-jacking the thread....I'd recommend moving this over to: The Association of Lather Catchers. I definitely want to hear how you like the shave and see it after you clean it up.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

View attachment 1087644
You picked a great razor out of the Gem family of razors, Over its life span of production they MFG millions because it was simply a great razor for most folks. The 1912 was also made under the A.S.R umbrella of companys, Star 1912, Everready 1912 and Treet 1912 I believe. Treet had a different safety bar more like the Micromatic Clog Pruf design.
The first 1912 was the Damaskeene open comb and other models had slight improvements to this excellent razor I own. Some of the after era Damaskeene 1912-15 models had drain ports and reinforced open comb safety bars that gave the 1912 better results for customers that wanted these improvements.
GEM Damaskeene OC 1912-15(2).jpg
MFG 1912-15 this model is were Gem excelled in razor new ideas.
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom