What's new

SOTD "CHRISTMAS AND AFTER THEME WEEK" December 25th - December 31st, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

12/29/17 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with The Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint Soap with Soothing Oatmeal
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Conditioning Shampoo Puck
Stirling Soap Company Margaritas in the Artic Menthol Shave Soap
Stirling Soap Company 24mm x 57mm Boar Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
iKon X3 Slant Razor
Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 1st Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel - After Shave Lotion
Aqua Velva Sensitve 5 in 1 After Shave Balm
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Sandalwood Natural Deodorant

B IMG_8189.jpg

SOTD December 29th
Razor: Schick,Stick Schick
Blade: Schick (modern)
Soap: Wiliams (vintage)
Brush: B&B 10th Anniversary Boar
AS 1: Thayers Rose Petal WH
AS 2: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
image.jpeg

Ruds Suds - The Dark Side (by Catie's Bubbles)
DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

Ruds Suds: The Dark Side is a collaboration between Jason Rudman and Catie's Bubbles, and when I say collaboration, I mean Ruds dreamed it up and Catie's made it work. At least that's how I imagine it happened.

Haitian vetiver detractors need not apply. Much like Catie's Bubbles' 322, this fragrance epitomizes everything I like about a fragrance, and it virtually personifies darkness. The comparisons to 322 are inevitable, but where 322 slips in some trashy patchouli, The Dark Side's vetiver is mitigated by dark roasted coffee, injecting a bitterness and hatred at a level not often experienced in a shave soap. In practice, the Haitian vetiver is the first note both from the tub and when lathered. The blend is so masterfully done that the bitter black coffee insidiously comes forward before the lather is fully built. Throughout the shave it's hard to determine where the vetiver ends and the coffee begins. Then, around mid-shave, a resinous, semi-sweet note gently creeps in without overtaking the vetiver/coffee dual.

The paired splash unfolds in a similar but slightly sharper fashion. However, the drydown unveils a faintly damp green note I don't recall experiencing in the soap. While the splash has plenty of punch and staying power, I'd like to see this in an EdP or even an extrait. As it is, I can still detect the splash---particularly the semi-sweet resinous note---about 4 hours out.

The Dark Side utilizes Catie's Bubbles' Luxury Soap vegan base. I've sang the praises of this soap base performance extensively in the past, so suffice it to say it's one of my favorites.

Normally, at this time, I would recommend fans of dark fragrances scoop this up, but there were only 16 sets, all of which have been spoken for. We've seen this before, however, with Porch Drinks and others. If the demand is there, perhaps the artisan can be convinced to revisit it, but I have no idea what that entails.

12/30/17 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Conditioning Shampoo Puck
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
RazoRock XXX LE Shave Soap
Stirling Soap Company 24mm x 57mm Boar Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
iKon X3 Slant Razor
Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 2nd Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel Astringent with Aloe Vera Formula
RazoRock Mr. Pink After Shaving Splash
Rockwell Barbershop Post-Shave Balm
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Sandalwood Natural Deodorant

B IMG_8195.jpg

Ruds Suds - The Dark Side (by Catie's Bubbles)
DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

Ruds Suds: The Dark Side is a collaboration between Jason Rudman and Catie's Bubbles, and when I say collaboration, I mean Ruds dreamed it up and Catie's made it work. At least that's how I imagine it happened.

Haitian vetiver detractors need not apply. Much like Catie's Bubbles' 322, this fragrance epitomizes everything I like about a fragrance, and it virtually personifies darkness. The comparisons to 322 are inevitable, but where 322 slips in some trashy patchouli, The Dark Side's vetiver is mitigated by dark roasted coffee, injecting a bitterness and hatred at a level not often experienced in a shave soap. In practice, the Haitian vetiver is the first note both from the tub and when lathered. The blend is so masterfully done that the bitter black coffee insidiously comes forward before the lather is fully built. Throughout the shave it's hard to determine where the vetiver ends and the coffee begins. Then, around mid-shave, a resinous, semi-sweet note gently creeps in without overtaking the vetiver/coffee dual.

The paired splash unfolds in a similar but slightly sharper fashion. However, the drydown unveils a faintly damp green note I don't recall experiencing in the soap. While the splash has plenty of punch and staying power, I'd like to see this in an EdP or even an extrait. As it is, I can still detect the splash---particularly the semi-sweet resinous note---about 4 hours out.

The Dark Side utilizes Catie's Bubbles' Luxury Soap vegan base. I've sang the praises of this soap base performance extensively in the past, so suffice it to say it's one of my favorites.

Normally, at this time, I would recommend fans of dark fragrances scoop this up, but there were only 16 sets, all of which have been spoken for. We've seen this before, however, with Porch Drinks and others. If the demand is there, perhaps the artisan can be convinced to revisit it, but I have no idea what that entails.
Excellent, dramatic pic, Matt. Love the assessment. Too bad the release was so limited.

FRIDAY SOTD ::::: December 29, 2017

Prep: Hot shower w/Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
Pre-shave Oil: Oscar’s Oil Lavender
Cream: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood
Brush: Mühle 33 K 252 STF Horn 23mm
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (14)
Post Splash: Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Chatillon Lux Champs des Lavande

2017-12-29-22-43-47.jpg

SOTD Thursday, December 28, 2017
Prep: Shower/Warm face towel
Soap: Stirling Barbershop Shave Soap
Lather Bowl: Pigeon Forge Pottery
Razor: Parker Variant
Blade: Feather
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar Brush
Talc: Clubman
Aftershave: Stirling Barbershop Aftershave
proxy.php
Quite a neat presentation, Chris. I imagine the Variant is still performing well for you.

SOTN 12.28.17
No shower
The Holy Black Tell Tale Heart soap
1904 Double Ring
Feather (new)
Thayer's Peach
Alum
Geo F. Trumpers Limes Skin Food
THB TTH A/S
proxy.php

Had to try it with a new Feather to test my mettle. Nick free, weeper free, awesomeness!​
That is an envy shave, my friend. A Feather no less! I'm glad it went so well.

Great head shave tonight:
Colgate soap grated and Skin Bracer soaked, lathered well with the Muhle Silverfibre V2. Birth year and quarter Black Beauty set to 5 on a Feather (3). Lemon Thayers followed by Skin Bracer and topped off with Nivea Cooling ASB.

I think I'll have to repeat this combo again and see how it goes as it was 3 pass BBS with no irritation.
proxy.php
proxy.php
Coalgate and Skin Bracer? Huuummm. Rich looking results, Jerad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom