Status
Not open for further replies.
Fri 24
Cream Old Spice Musk
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor Gillette Tech
Blade Gillette Vintage Super Stainless 1st
Aftershave Old Spice Original Splash
Good cream...with a satisfactory lather and light scent nicely augmented by the splash.
Super easy comfortable and efficient shave with this simple razor & blade pairing. 3passes for a bbs finish...awesome!
20230324_215755.jpg

Pre-shave: Saponificio Varesino "Burro di Ilipé"
Brush: AD Works
Lather: Queen Charlotte Soaps "Basilica"
Razor: 1940s Gillette Gold Tech (black fat handle)
Blade: Gillette "Platinum"
Witch hazel: Thayers "Cucumber"
Alum block: Osma
After shave: Myrsol "Antesol"
Face cream: Neutrogena "Hydro Boost"

2023-03-24..jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday, March 23rd 2023, Day 2 testing the my new Sentinel 1.5mm razor.

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm polished 316 SS with a Yaqi "Chippendale" polished 316L SS Darwin looking handle- Mfg 2022>, mild range, interesting design that makes installing and removing reasonably easier IMO. Very attractive looking razor also when polished, I seem to buff slightly more with this razor.
Tomorrow I will try a KAI blade extra wide blade to see where it makes it's mark for aggression and efficiency's. The blade can be felt sometimes when plunked down to heavily on the start of a stroke recklessly but never seems to rupture my skin barrier which is real good for half asleep shaving in morning drowsiness IMO, (Could be gap size that comes into play that creates a slight skin increase bump closer to blade when razor is plunked to heavily at start of stroke?. )
The shave went well with no drama and was mostly a carefree shave using my regular routine for a excellent shave.
Blade : Gillette silver blue (2) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier blade.
Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco, nice clean XXX scent with a light menthol cooling boost with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "mysterious space" 24mm Timberwolf synthetic knot, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX Fresco splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my new Yaqi Sentinel 316 polished razor with a GSB blade.
SOTD March 23 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Friday March 24th 2023, Day 3 of Testing my new Yaqi Sentinel razor with Kai SS extra wide blade.

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm gap, polished 316L SS with a Yaqi "Chippendale" polished 316 SS Darwin looking handle-
Mfg 2022>, well built with excellent machining accuracy for standard blades and excellent finish QC for my shaving needs.
I wanted to try one of my favorite DE blades with the Kai SS blade extra wide blade and discovered that the Kai SS blade have less width on the blade tabs area than a standard Gillette blade(I'm not sure why Kai did this on the blade tabs?) so it affects the blade alignment on this style of blade alignment(4 corner posts only) & also similar design of competitors razors IMO.
So I did a visual blade reveal on both sides by gently bumping the blade edge with a paper tuck blade box until it looked acceptable and then tightened the blade down.
The Kai blade will align excellent with normal razors that have alignment posts or riser slots to center the blade evenly. That aside the blade worked great and produced a excellent shave with a little more blade exposure or reveal like I wanted with a Steep approach (riding the bar). The sweet spot angle also increased with this unique blade and it might be worth using for some folks who are willing to have to tweak the blade slightly possibly for alignment because of the narrower blade tabs.
The shave was excellent and mostly carefree shaving with excellent results for folks who like close shaves.
Blade : Kai SS, sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Yaqi Green, nice fresh scent with excellent lather qualities. Yaqi commissioned Master soap creations to make their soap & fragrance line of products.
Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24mm synthetic- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Yaqi Green splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Sentinel razor with a Kai SS extra wide blade(with narrower blade tabs width than a standard Gillette blade I just discovered recently).
SOTD March 24 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

SOTD

Rockwell T2 stainless
Polsilver blade
Saponificio varesino cubebe set
El druida custom brush
Captains choice obsidian copper shaving bowl

Another superb shave. The T2 stainless is just a fantastic razor. So smooth. The Saponificio varesino sets produce lathers for me that are just top tier. I think I will be collecting a few more.

20230324_144109.jpg

Fri 24
Cream Old Spice Musk
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor Gillette Tech
Blade Gillette Vintage Super Stainless 1st
Aftershave Old Spice Original Splash
Good cream...with a satisfactory lather and light scent nicely augmented by the splash.
Super easy comfortable and efficient shave with this simple razor & blade pairing. 3passes for a bbs finish...awesome!
View attachment 1626111

Love that red plastic bottle from Old Spice. Sadly, we don't get it anymore in India :c17:

24 March, 2023

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Weber ARC
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 Two Band
Soap: 345 Soap Co: Aces over 8’s (Deus Vult)
Fragrance: Oud by Mona di Orio

another 'WOW' shave.. the Deus Vult base really is premier league stuff, and the Weber seems to have the Midas touch with blades lately, bringing out the absolute best in the Gillette Platinum, to produce an absolutely stellar shave.

SOTD-NEW-FB-GT-B_2023-03-24.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Clubman
Razor: Gillette NEW Flat Bottom GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (12)
ASL: Clubman Classic Vanilla

A fine shave. :biggrin:
All is well in ZenShaveLand. :sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

SOTD-hawkins.jpg

Sunny-Herbals-3.jpg
Sunny-Herbals-2.jpg
Gillette-Razor-SP-Packing-1.jpg
Gillette-Razor-SP-Packing-2.jpg
DCRAF.jpg
DCRAF-1.jpg

hawkins.jpg
hawkins-manual-cover.jpg
hawkins-manual.jpg

Since I don't have anything Made In Canada but the post said: Being creative and having fun IS mandatory . So here is my idea of fun: I got a new pressure cooker this week :letterk1: and of course a new shaving cream :001_wub:

SOTD from INDIA

Pink Woolf shaving brush is very good. It has the softest bristles of all the brushes I have:
Of course, Pink Woolf does not have the strong backbone like Rubab Men or Urban Mooch and they do have very good quality bristles but Pink Woolf got softer bristles than them and it's quite lightweight too and that makes it an excellent replacement for Ajay/Gillette/Park-Avenue's while polyester/nylon brushes but I still prefer Hornet for its backbone and resin handle

- Gillette blade surprised me. I do 2/3 pass shaves and there is absolutely no change in blade's sharpness from 2nd to 3rd shave:
  • shave no. one: 3 pass + touch-ups (48 hours stubble)
  • shave no. two: 3 pass (24 hours stubble)
  • shave no. three: 2 pass (24 hours stubble)
This blade still got lot of life left for I can literally feel it. It does not bite like its younger brother Permasharp blade but I get razor-burn each time I use it. I am not that perfect yet with my style/angle/pressure and hence little bit wrong angle or a tiny, tiny bit more pressure, I get the burn immediately and alum surely reminds me that this blade might be forgiving for nicks/cuts but not for razor-burn. Burns a lot. Everyone knows blades and razors are YMMV and I think this blade is not for me. I will still finish it, just to see how many shaves I get with this

- Now for the final thing, I used the same setup in last 3 shaves, I only changed the shaving creams. First shave with Laser Sports foam and 2nd with BSC Turmeric. For 3rd shave, just to be sure I put half-face lather with BSC and other half with Sunny Herbals on both passes. And BSC Turmeric is completely useless for my skin/beard. It is so dry as if I have done no prep. Stubble does not feel it much and remains dry. I have used 3 times the shaving cream quantity I used for Sunny Herbals and still it makes me feel so painful with razor. I have hydrated it enough too but very painful shave. Also, in just 2 weeks, shaving cream has dried inside the tube. I have seen no other shaving cream which dries inside the tube like that in just 2 weeks. And I feel the same dryness on the face after a really good prep. Finally, gonna throw it away. (NOTE: its brother BSC Charcoal is opposite. That's a good cream)

- Sunny Herbals. An amazing shaving cream. I have to say that these two no-name companies (in terms of known in shaving industry) have surprised me: Patanjali and Sunny Herbals. Excellent shaving creams for good lather and even better slickness, better than any other shaving cream. Would buy again.

- Everyone knows Old Spice. No need to talk much about it :) . DCRAF is awesome. We can try all the new products in the markets but only a few come out to be very good. DCRAF is one. Soft, decent scent and non-greasy feel and yet still moisturizes the skin pretty well. The art on the packaging is a reminder of Indian movie scene from 1970/80s (probably the guy behind the brand is a well-known actor himself)

Will keep on exploring 🙃

SOTD: 25th March 2023.

1.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Pears Original Transparent Bar Soap.
Brush: Anbbas 24mm Tuxedo synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
Lather: Edwin Jagger Limes & Pomegranate Shaving Cream.
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE 89. (Kelvin) (Face) - Silver Star Super Stainless. (D1)
Razor: Ever Ready 1912. (ENG) (Head/Dome) - Personna Gem PTFE SS. (D3)

Cold water face & head wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./Alum Rub. / Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. / Brut Sport Style ASL./Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel.

A new eclectic shave set up to start the weekend....Finishing off my Egyptian & Turkish blade focus with the Lord Silver Star Super Stainless which are my personal favourite from the Lord home.

Out of vast the amount of DE blades i have tried my preference is Super Stainless & Platinum. I really like especially the Lord Silver Star, and various others, especially ones from the subcontinent which don't get the credit they rightly deserve.

It's been a while since I last added the EJ DE89 which has the same head as my much loved Muhle R89, the only difference is the handle on the EJ (Kelvin) is shorter, of which i prefer and the price difference. Both razor perform near the same, the only difference in performance for me is the R89 feels marginally more efficient, but this could be the blade choice.

A close comfortable head/dome shave with the ER 1912.

I repeat myself and say if i had known how wonderful smooth, & efficient SE razors where especially Injector razors when i first ventured into the wonderful world of traditional wet shaving i probably wouldn't have bought a DE razor as they provide and give everything that is required for a close comfortable shave.

Another close comfortable face and head shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel.

My face & precious swede are feeling super smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy the start of the weekend ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
7067D776-4111-4392-A1CD-88A95FDA7367.jpeg

1) United Kingdom: Brush Hawkins and Brimble Synthetic brush.
2) Germany: Shaving Foam Nivea Men Moisturising Shaving Foam.
3) USA: Razor Gillette NDC Gold Ball End Tech.
4) India: Razor Blade Gillette 7 O’clock Black.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) China: Aftershave Balm John Barclay Aftershave Balm.
7) India: Aftershave Splash Gillette Refreshing Breeze Aftershave Splash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom