Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’ Occitane
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
Another (3rd) excellent shave with the RR Stealth – Personna Lab combo. The Ethos makes a wonderful slick lather. I think this is one of the easiest soaps to make a good lather with. Have a good Sunday.

2F9D278A-2967-4935-B613-9D9DC0745482.jpeg

SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 12, 2021

Well, I acquired my first safety razor in almost a year and a half. It is an immaculate NOS 1911 Durham Duplex safety razor in the original Bakelite case which I happened across in my search for a stropping attachment for my folding handled version. The price was right, and it uses the same head as the folding handle version, although the blade attachment process differs. The UK Ever Ready Hair Trimmer blades fit perfectly.

I must admit that I really like the safety razor version for my dome shave even more than the folding handle version. The head is much wider than any of my other safety razors, and provides a very wide cut, that it takes only half as many ATG strokes to cover the same shave real estate on the flatter parts of the noggin. The shave was quite close, but not as close a my Barbasol Floating Head or Eclipse Red Ring, the two most efficient blade-holding shavers in my den.

But the belle of the ball was this amazing Smith Bros. of Boston rescaled blue steel 11/16 blade. According to the “Roadshow Collectibles Straight Razor Mfrs Directory”, Smith Brothers was actively importing blades and scaling and reselling them between 1860 and 1910. The original insect eaten horn scales would place this razor earlier in the manufacture. There was no evidence of gun bluing anywhere on the blade.

The extreme hardness of the blade reminded me of some of the Swedish steel I’ve honed. Given Boston’s role as a port city, along with the fact that trading with Japan had begun about the same time as Smith Brothers started in business, I’m going to go out on a limb and hypothesize that the blade is Japanese blue steel or ‘aogami’ which would have been a key export of the newly opened Japanese export market. It is a great edge holding steel alloyed with tungsten, vanadium and chromium.

Whether it is or not, the edge on this straight razor is amazingly sharp. Honing a razor can build up an accumulating burr, which if not removed will contribute to a perceived ‘harsh’ albeit sharp edge. Such an edge will pass the venerable HHT, but the resulting shave will be anything but pleasant. Howard Schlecter, a honemeister from the Boston area teaches his honing students to deburr by running the blade gently along the edge of the finishing stone on each side of the blade edge as part of the finishing process which, of course, seems counter intuitive.

However, 5 to 7 subsequent strokes on the finisher very quickly restore a buttery smooth quite sharp edge, which is then easily maintained well into the future with a graduated pasted strop regimen. Schlecter’s constroption has been just the ticket for me for maintaining all my straight razors. My two and a half pass mug shave this morning reinforced that this approach is just the ticket for me to achieve the lovely velveteen mug shaves with the buttery smooth edges that I enjoy so much!

RAZOR: Smith Bros. of Boston 11/16 (Mug), Durham Duplex Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Ever Ready Hair Trimmer (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub AS Splash.

SOD Sunday December 12, 2021
Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
Proraso Red is amazing. I love the scent and my skin feels great. Even when this challenge is over this one will always be regular in my den.

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Fendrihan
Pre shave: None
Lather: Proraso Red (73)
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion:
Balm: Proraso Red Dopobarba
Have a great day!
IMG_8385.jpg

#7 of my Canadian Gillettes is an Aristocrat Jr. OK, not made in Canada, but it seems that these were widely marketed in Canada. This was the first DE I bought, from a Canadian seller, over 20 years ago now. It’s likely been in Canada for 70 years and I am considering it a naturalized citizen.

B6784949-7FFB-43B2-839E-3723A6B67F4E.jpeg

Prep: Ice-cold Canadian water and Ach Brito Glyce soap
Brush: Omega mixed midget boar soaked in heated Canadian water in a handmade Canadian bowl
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor and blade: UK-made Aristocrat Junior with Bic Chrome Platinum
Splashes of ice cold Canadian water between 3 passes
After: Hand towel with heated Canadian water, witch hazel, Speick AS

It’s been a fun week. I am a bit surprised how much I enjoyed every one of these seven Canadian Gillettes. Happy shaves, all.

FC7A8CF9-8CB4-490A-900B-ED812FCE8C11.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave, Dec 12th 2021

Razor: Schick adjustable injector M3- Mfg 1970-72, excellent adjustable, well built, nice range + the best Schick injector for all the previous range settings to reach mostly IMO. Happy shave this morning.
Blade: Personna injector SS PTFE (3) Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside, nice mild scent, with excellent lather qualities, easy & very nice creamy lather this one produces.
Brush: Yaqi 26mm rainbow with brown whiskers, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, excellent painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Very gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(balm) + scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Schick adjustable injector with a Personna coated injector blade.
SOTD, Dec 12, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

#7 of my Canadian Gillettes is an Aristocrat Jr. OK, not made in Canada, but it seems that these were widely marketed in Canada. This was the first DE I bought, from a Canadian seller, over 20 years ago now. It’s likely been in Canada for 70 years and I am considering it a naturalized citizen.

View attachment 1377063

Prep: Ice-cold Canadian water and Ach Brito Glyce soap
Brush: Omega mixed midget boar soaked in heated Canadian water in a handmade Canadian bowl
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor and blade: UK-made Aristocrat Junior with Bic Chrome Platinum
Splashes of ice cold Canadian water between 3 passes
After: Hand towel with heated Canadian water, witch hazel, Speick AS

It’s been a fun week. I am a bit surprised how much I enjoyed every one of these seven Canadian Gillettes. Happy shaves, all.

View attachment 1377064
That's a fantastic Canadian presentation!!

Razor: Rockwell 6S (black)🍁
Blade: Shaverboy (2)🍁
Brush: Henri et Victoria - Karma (synthetic) 25mm🍁
Pre-Shave: Jack Black Beard Lube
Lather: HSSC - Barber Shop🍁
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars (Splash)🍁

E7CC3EB6-19BA-4F22-A827-2725E6958831.jpeg

Oh well, Canada. It’s been a good thread week
I finished off SOTD Canada week with my HSSC Barber Shop lather. If you like the Stirling scent, you’ll love this Canadian version. HeV brush was my first synthetic and will always be a favorite in my rotation. Shaverboy blade and 6S made a good Canuck tag team to bring about that BBS I always require.
HeV Cognac and Cuban Cigars?…mmmmmmm….say no more.

Last edited:
Sunday 12/12 SOTD- superb three passes, BBS, with no mishaps and a very happy face. To finish up Canada week I went with my Canadian Lupo, Canada Shave Soap, and a RR AS:

Pre-shave: shower w/ Goat's milk Australian soap
Razor: RR Lupo Al🇨🇦
Blade: KCG- IME an excellent DE blade
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- loaded well today, and after many uses you can see the soap level going down a little🇨🇦
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 in Best- just a great brush for my face lathers
Post-shave: cool rinse, and then some RR XXX AS, nice scent, good experience🇮🇹🇨🇦

Have a great week!

PXL_20211212_183701253.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom