What's new

🇨🇦 🍁 “SOTD - Canadian Theme Week” DECEMBER 6th - DECEMBER 12th, 2021 🍁 🇨🇦

Status
Not open for further replies.
12/12/21 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Coconut Bay Rum with Lime Moroccan Argan Oil Body Soap
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Briar Conditioning Shampoo Puck - A True Fall Classic
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Space Nog Seasonal Artisan Shave Soap Ultra Premium Formula CK-6
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements The Starcraft - 24mm Roswell (grey) Hybrid Synth Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Supply Single Edge 2.0 PVD Coated Matte Black Die-Cast Zinc Alloy Injector Razor
Supply White Label Injector Blade - 4th Shave
Lancaster Razor Works Tangerine Orange Black Sheep Shaving Towel
Phoenix Shaving No Slip Grip Alum Block with Rubber Grip Band
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Alum Block Dry Dock System
Thayers Alcohol Free Lavender Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Space Nog Seasonal Artisan Aftershave & Cologne
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Epic 5% Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) Serum
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements The Shaving "Ray Rum" Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength - A Cyber Monday Limited Edition!

B IMG_0074.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Today is
SUNDAY
12 December, 2021

______

Razor: Oristo🇨🇦
Blade: Derby "Premium"
Gel: Elegance Plus "Jupiter"
Balm: CeraVe "Moisturizing Lotion"
Frag: Pinaud Clubman "Special Reserve"

Finishing up my tonsorial
homage to Canada today.
The Oristo is a fine piece
Canadian workmanship.

The shave was tip-top, save
for some neck roughness
that I attribute to pilot error.
(Hurried laziness, actually.)

This is not a plug, but that
Elegance Plus gel sure makes
for a smooth, no-drama shave.

Also, in rooting around in a
cupboard, I found two alum
blocks I thought were lost.
Now I have five of them--
enough to last me 'til I'm
too shaky to shave.

Stay healthy,

Bill

SOTD - Sunday Afternoon December 12, 2021

KCG, Wizamet and Italian classic, Cella, winning combination!

Razor:
King C. Gillette - it's good to be the king, mild but efficient razor, good heft & slippery handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3) - sharp & smooth winner! the hype is real
Brush: Van Der Hagen Pure Badger Brush - soft tips, good scritch scrub, good lather generator & painter
Soap: Cella - smells great, lathers easily producing thick, slick, moist lather, top performer
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave A/S Splash - nice fresh light aquatic scent, it's a winner
Growth: 52 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9.8/10

Results: Relaxing Gillette Weekend shave with one of my favorite soaps, Cella. Mild razor, sharp blade, great soap, very good shave! Cold water, bowl lathered, smooth, comfortable DFS result. Very good cushion and protection. No nicks, cuts, tugging or irritation. Very good post shave skin feel, moisturized.

IMG_20211212_081741514.jpg
IMG_20211212_112219155.jpg

That's a fantastic Canadian presentation!!
Thanks!

There are some ironies here. Before globalization and NAFTA, Canada had a significant branch plant economy where a company like Gillette would set up a factory in Canada (Montreal, in Gillette’s case) to make the same products that they could have shipped from Boston but with a significant tariff. I gather that it was not worth it for Gillette Canada to tool up to produce TTO razors, so instead they put lovely British razors in Canadian cases and sold Canadians caseloads of them. This is another reason why the Aristocrat Junior is absolutely a Canadian razor, part of our culture and history.

The record label of that Jona Lewie record had me fooled for decades, as I had the idea he must have been Canadian despite his obviously English accent. Now that there is the internet I learn that Stiff was a thoroughly UK enterprise, and Jona Lewie is a UK musician. But Stiff Canada was a thing, with offices at 98 Queen St. East in Toronto. Ah well, I liked the music, and I still play this record.

Slap a mountie and a maple leaf on an imported product? Fantastic Canadian presentation for sure!

Times have changed though. It’s great to see so many new Canadian products in this thread.

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Today is
SUNDAY
12 December, 2021

______

Razor: Oristo
Blade:
Derby "Premium"
Gel: Elegance Plus "Jupiter"
Balm: CeraVe "Moisturizing Lotion"
Frag: Pinaud Clubman "Special Reserve"
Finishing up my tonsorial
homage to Canada today.
The Oristo is a fine piece
Canadian workmanship.

This is not a plug, but that
Elegance Plus gel sure makes
for a smooth, no-drama shave.

Also, in rooting around in a
cupboard, I found two alum
blocks I thought were lost.
Now I have five of them--
enough to last me 'til I'm
too shaky to shave.

Stay healthy,

Bill

Thanks!

There are some ironies here. Before globalization and NAFTA, Canada had a significant branch plant economy where a company like Gillette would set up a factory in Canada (Montreal, in Gillette’s case) to make the same products that they could have shipped from Boston but with a significant tariff. I gather that it was not worth it for Gillette Canada to tool up to produce TTO razors, so instead they put lovely British razors in Canadian cases and sold Canadians caseloads of them. This is another reason why the Aristocrat Junior is absolutely a Canadian razor, part of our culture and history.

The record label of that Jona Lewie record had me fooled for decades, as I had the idea he must have been Canadian despite his obviously English accent. Now that there is the internet I learn that Stiff was a thoroughly UK enterprise, and Jona Lewie is a UK musician. But Stiff Canada was a thing, with offices at 98 Queen St. East in Toronto. Ah well, I liked the music, and I still play this record.

Slap a mountie and a maple leaf on an imported product? Fantastic Canadian presentation for sure!

Times have changed though. It’s great to see so many new Canadian products in this thread.
Thank you for sharing your insight!

7973C054-9430-4499-A352-B4442A2E4809.jpeg

SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 14, 2021

I apologize for missing yesterday's shave, but my 18 yr old cat, Pewter, has been slowly fading away. He stopped eating about four days ago, and stopped drinking yesterday. I never really cared much for cats. They were my wife’s thing. We have three cats, all rescues, and two dachshunds. When my current wife and I married 5 years ago, my two dogs slowly adjusted to the three cats, with Pewter emerging as the alpha of the menagerie.

Pewter at his best was a 20-25 lb tom who felt it was his job to maintain order in the menagerie. He’s down to less than 8 lbs and is all bones. He doesn’t appear to be in pain, but does like to lay on my lap, and my youngest doxie and the rest of the menagerie have been keeping him company as he fades away. I caught my youngest doxie, Gromit, grooming Pewter as he lay on the couch yesterday. It’s always sad to say good-bye to a dear animal friend. And Pewter has certainly been that, as he slowly and patiently taught me the way of cats over the last 5 years of his life.

He was our gentle feline giant, whom my stepson named as feline super hero. Three years ago, our female cat, Cassie, was attacked by a fox in our fenced in backyard. As I opened the back door a grey streak shot by my legs, vaulted off our deck and tore into the fox about 20 feet away, freeing Cassie, and chasing it out of our yard until it vaulted over our fence and literally limped away. Pewter required sutures, but otherwise, our feline sheriff came away ok. Thanks to Pewter, I’ve grown closer to our other two cats. I suspect today is his last day.

I’ve always admired Bartmann razors from afar, but most of the ones in the condition I like were priced into the stratosphere, well above some of the nicest Filly’s. According to the information I’ve been able to obtain, Bartmann razors are a relatively new brand, in production in Solingen, Germany between 1948 and 1998 when production ceased. For whatever reason, pricing has come down recently, and I was able to obtain this immaculate Bartmann 86 11/16 for an excellent price by making an offer after watching it for several weeks on the big auction site.

It arrived yesterday. Like my Filly, this razor was flat as a pancake. It possessed a gold washed tang and spine along with an existing bevel that was quite dull and required a touch up. The 9 Ball slate with a final burnish on the jasper and finish on the constroption led to a successful styrofoam test and an absolutely magnificent mug shave. Two and a half passes put the baby to bed leaving yours truly glassine smooth.

And yes, I shaved my dome again with my new-to-me Durham Duplex safety razor. I truly believe that this safety razor’s design makes it quite difficult to nick oneself. Despite having the largest head length of any of my vintage safety razors, this well-balanced little 1911 beauty still remembered how to do her job. The UK Ever Ready Trimmer blades are quite sharp and easily reduced my dome stubble in two ATG passes that left me with a very smooth noggin. Practice does make perfect, as today’s shave was definitely velveteen, unlike the shave with this razor two days ago.

RAZOR: Bartmann 11/16 (Mug), Durham Duplex Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Ever Ready Trimmer Blade (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
View attachment 1378037
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 14, 2021

I apologize for missing yesterday's shave, but my 18 yr old cat, Pewter, has been slowly fading away. He stopped eating about four days ago, and stopped drinking yesterday. I never really cared much for cats. They were my wife’s thing. We have three cats, all rescues, and two dachshunds. When my current wife and I married 5 years ago, my two dogs slowly adjusted to the three cats, with Pewter emerging as the alpha of the menagerie.

Pewter at his best was a 20-25 lb tom who felt it was his job to maintain order in the menagerie. He’s down to less than 8 lbs and is all bones. He doesn’t appear to be in pain, but does like to lay on my lap, and my youngest doxie and the rest of the menagerie have been keeping him company as he fades away. I caught my youngest doxie, Gromit, grooming Pewter as he lay on the couch yesterday. It’s always sad to say good-bye to a dear animal friend. And Pewter has certainly been that, as he slowly and patiently taught me the way of cats over the last 5 years of his life.

He was our gentle feline giant, whom my stepson named as feline super hero. Three years ago, our female cat, Cassie, was attacked by a fox in our fenced in backyard. As I opened the back door a grey streak shot by my legs, vaulted off our deck and tore into the fox about 20 feet away, freeing Cassie, and chasing it out of our yard until it vaulted over our fence and literally limped away. Pewter required sutures, but otherwise, our feline sheriff came away ok. Thanks to Pewter, I’ve grown closer to our other two cats. I suspect today is his last day.

I’ve always admired Bartmann razors from afar, but most of the ones in the condition I like were priced into the stratosphere, well above some of the nicest Filly’s. According to the information I’ve been able to obtain, Bartmann razors are a relatively new brand, in production in Solingen, Germany between 1948 and 1998 when production ceased. For whatever reason, pricing has come down recently, and I was able to obtain this immaculate Bartmann 86 11/16 for an excellent price by making an offer after watching it for several weeks on the big auction site.

It arrived yesterday. Like my Filly, this razor was flat as a pancake. It possessed a gold washed tang and spine along with an existing bevel that was quite dull and required a touch up. The 9 Ball slate with a final burnish on the jasper and finish on the constroption led to a successful styrofoam test and an absolutely magnificent mug shave. Two and a half passes put the baby to bed leaving yours truly glassine smooth.

And yes, I shaved my dome again with my new-to-me Durham Duplex safety razor. I truly believe that this safety razor’s design makes it quite difficult to nick oneself. Despite having the largest head length of any of my vintage safety razors, this well-balanced little 1911 beauty still remembered how to do her job. The UK Ever Ready Trimmer blades are quite sharp and easily reduced my dome stubble in two ATG passes that left me with a very smooth noggin. Practice does make perfect, as today’s shave was definitely velveteen, unlike the shave with this razor two days ago.

RAZOR: Bartmann 11/16 (Mug), Durham Duplex Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Ever Ready Trimmer Blade (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
So sorry to here about Pewter. I'm going through a similar situation with my 10-year-old terrier mix, Barney. He now sleeps most of the day and can no longer jump up in bed with me. But I'm set on enjoying his company for as long as it lasts. He has been the best animal companion I have ever loved.

So sorry to here about Pewter. I'm going through a similar situation with my 10-year-old terrier mix, Barney. He now sleeps most of the day and can no longer jump up in bed with me. But I'm set on enjoying his company for as long as it lasts. He has been the best animal companion I have ever loved.
They are very special, Jim! I never thought I‘d end up caring for a cat, but Pewter would quietly, but persistently make his way onto my lap and into my heart over the last 5 years. Sorry to hear about Barney. I lost my 18 yr old dachshund Hercules back in 2018. we’ll see them again.

Last edited:
Wednesday’s shave

Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Soap: MDC Fougere
Razor: WR2 SS SB 1.25mm, w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle
Brush: Mozingo ZT3, this brush fits perfectly with my best brushes, the first shave with it was remarkable.
Post Shave: 4711

12/10
BAF04F83-74E3-42C2-BD74-8A8B88A56A08.jpeg

598595BA-7072-46A5-8AF5-5D1191A0B481.jpeg

C6F0A7CA-D7DA-4AF5-843E-8B1416AE065B.jpeg

this handle is so much more beautiful than I can show, for me to be excited by a brush it has to be a combination of knot & handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom