does missing that stubble indicate
a dreaded old man's shave wherein
I miss more and more stubble?

Stay tuned.

Stay healthy,

Bill

3EA3FBDC-17E1-4A46-BE3D-DEA85B063584.png

SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 7, 2021

This morning I shaved with one of my favorite vintage razors, the Manhattan Cutlery 13/16, restored magnificently about a year or so ago by David Work. John Newton opened ‘Manhattan Works’ at 11 Arundel Lane in Sheffield, England in 1887 as a cutlery manufacturer for export to the United States in the factory first opened by Arthur Lee & Son in 1861. Their razors developed quite a following for the quality of their edge. If you can get your hands on one, I’d encourage you to do so. Mine is just a magnificent shaving tool that always delivers as it did this morning in two and a half passes leaving yours truly’s mug porcelain smooth.

When I grabbed my Eclipse Red Ring, another Sheffield shaving tool, adjusted for its most efficient noggin shave I knew I was slated for the same quality of dome shave as I’d just experienced on my mug! The Eclipse Red Ring designed and built by James Neill who founded ‘James Neill and Co.’ in 1889 in Sheffield and produced during the early 30s had two patents and was incredibly innovative for its time. One was for the razor itself and the second for the magnet at the base of the handle, designed for picking up dropped DE blades safely. Two ATG passes put the baby to bed and left your very pleased narrator baby bum smooth from shoulders to dome.

RAZOR: Manhattan Cutlery 13/16 (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JR Cashmere Synth Knot #343
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with William’s Aqua Velva AS Splash (Spanish Version)
400D906B-58ED-4BBC-8B60-95663DCE373C.jpeg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
View attachment 1358834
SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 7, 2021

This morning I shaved with one of my favorite vintage razors, the Manhattan Cutlery 13/16, restored magnificently about a year or so ago by David Work. John Newton opened ‘Manhattan Works’ at 11 Arundel Lane in Sheffield, England in 1887 as a cutlery manufacturer for export to the United States in the factory first opened by Arthur Lee & Son in 1861. Their razors developed quite a following for the quality of their edge. If you can get your hands on one, I’d encourage you to do so. Mine is just a magnificent shaving tool that always delivers as it did this morning in two and a half passes leaving yours truly’s mug porcelain smooth.

When I grabbed my Eclipse Red Ring, another Sheffield shaving tool, adjusted for its most efficient noggin shave I knew I was slated for the same quality of dome shave as I’d just experienced on my mug! The Eclipse Red Ring designed and built by James Neill who founded ‘James Neill and Co.’ in 1889 in Sheffield and produced during the early 30s had two patents and was incredibly innovative for its time. One was for the razor itself and the second for the magnet at the base of the handle, designed for picking up dropped DE blades safely. Two ATG passes put the baby to bed and left your very pleased narrator baby bum smooth from shoulders to dome.

RAZOR: Manhattan Cutlery 13/16 (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JR Cashmere Synth Knot #343
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with William’s Aqua Velva AS Splash (Spanish Version)
View attachment 1358835
Are those the original scales? They're just lovely.

proxy.php

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Two-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger
Soap: Mikes Hungarian Lavender
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (3)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, APR Lavande violette Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Pour un Homme de Caron EdT

The Mergress on setting 2 proved the sweet spot for the GBE blade.

20211107_143704-01.jpeg
SOTD #265/2021
06-11-2021

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Simpsons Milk Churn Best Badger
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ No. 50 SC
Razor: Fatip Grande Mk1 Chrome
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Schröder und Mann ~ Majestät AS; Nivea Sensitive asb.

Sunday shave. For the first outing with the Fatip Grande Mk1, I took my time.

Compared to the Mk 2, this ancient version of the Fatip Grande Open Comb clearly is one step up in efficiency (maybe even two) - but a step down in shaving comfort if you choose the wrong shaving angle. My initial impression is that you can get a very close shave that's less prone to nicks if you choose a steep angle. But that assessment needs more investigation. In any case, the blade does not feel too bad.

2 passes plus some minor touch ups, full BBS. No nicks or redness, but I felt a bit of tightness on the skin. The Nivea asb quickly took care, so no issues.

Enjoy your Sunday!

20211106_081928.jpg

Razor: Schick E3 Imperial Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Newport
Aftershave: Duke Cannon Supply Company Ice Cold Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

IMG_20211107_092458.jpg

Nov 07 21
Preshave

PAA Mentholated Cube
BrushSOC Cherry Wood Boar
BowlCC Copper
SoapOld Spice uber lather
RazorGillette 1917 Bulldog
BladeGillette 7 O’clock Yellow (4)
Post ShaveAlum
After ShaveShulton Old Spice
BalmP&B Night Witch + ISC Hyaluronic Acid
FragShulton Old Spice Cologne
RatingDFS+ 9.7 Very close but there was blood

Sunday old school shave. Shulton Old Spice and the Bulldog. The 7 O'clock Yellow is a good pairing with the Bulldog, but, I need to work on my technique with it. I had a very close satisfying shave though.

SOD Sunday November 7, 2021

Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Shave Nation
Pre shave: None
Lather: Proraso Blue (11)
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: None
Balm: Proraso Blue Dopobarba

Have a great day!