What's new

sorry noob question.

Just out of curiosity why do people covet butterscotch handles so much? I purchased a simms shave brush from a local store for a few dollars, the top is black bakelite? and the bottom is a butterscotch. When I got it home I noticed that the bottom unscrewed the threads are in excellent condition I removed the old bristles a dremeled it out it"ll get a 24mm but i might go 26mm. What does everyone suggest. Also should I epoxy the bottom into place before or after I put the new knot in, or should I not epoxy the bottom maybe just screw it on tight?:confused1

Just out of curiosity why do people covet butterscotch handles so much? I purchased a simms shave brush from a local store for a few dollars, the top is black bakelite? and the bottom is a butterscotch. When I got it home I noticed that the bottom unscrewed the threads are in excellent condition I removed the old bristles a dremeled it out it"ll get a 24mm but i might go 26mm. What does everyone suggest. Also should I epoxy the bottom into place before or after I put the new knot in, or should I not epoxy the bottom maybe just screw it on tight?:confused1
I usually epoxy mine together. You could put a few drops of hot glue if you think think that you might like to get it apart in the future though.

The butterscotch most coveted in vintage brush handles, I believe, comes only with age-- at the time such brushes were made, their color was ivory. With the passage of time, the ivory color darkens and eventually becomes a butterscotch color. The color is only on the surface; if you sand or polish it with even mild abrasives, it will lighten.

As for knot size, it really depends on your personal preference. I prefer medium sized knots, typically 20mm to 25mm. Many like really large knots-- the bigger, the better-- but they're just not for me. I suspect that you'll be happy with a 24mm or 26mm knot, but there's no way to say that with any certainty without knowing your preferences. Also, be sure to allow yourself about 2mm in diameter to accommodate whichever size knot you choose (i.e., for a 24mm knot, you'll want the socket to be about 26mm).

Good luck with your restoration, and don't hesitate to ask questions as you go; there's plenty of expert assistance to be tapped on B&B. And, by the way, welcome!

Top Bottom